Is there a point when 1 10 inch sub is not enough?

your amp is a sony xplod. Bottom of the barrel terrible amp. I bet your not even getting 300rms on a good day. Buy a quality amp that will give you 500rms before box rise.

Is your box a prefab or did you make it yourself or...?

a sub will always outdo your doors when it comes to low frequencies, unless you have a bunch of speakers or 8 inch PAs in the door lol. that sony xplod is a brick, throw it in the ocean or sell it to someone who has no idea how bad they are (if you have a guilty conscious well... that *****). give that sub a true 500w RMS and you'll understand what i mean.

you could probably give that sub 1000w RMS of clean power with the subsonic set pretty high just don't push the sub too hard

better box and amp will get you nearly a 6db gain in theory (double the power is 3db, and ideal ported enclosures can net you anywhere from 3db to 9 db), maybe more.

What is your sony amp? The gs series is not that bad, if it's a newer one. Also the really old ones aren't bad either. The jl is by no means a loud sub but it should be decent and sound good. How do you have the sub positioned in your trunk?

Build a box for a lower tune. 32hz is great. Subs get quiet fast below their tuning freq so you want low tuning. Anything below 32 and you start to lose top end higher frequencies so 32-35 is that sweet spot.
@CSCStang makes FANTASTIC boxes and will prob help you design a simple box for your needs.

Precision Power PPI BA2600.1D 2600W Class D Car Amplifier

either of those will do fine for a new amp. not too expensive and will give you more power later on if you decide to get a better sub.

You have a 4 ohm subwoofer which means you can only get the 4 ohm rating from an amp.

For example if you see specs for an amp that says.
RMS Power Rating (14.4V):
4 ohms: 580 watts x 1 chan.
2 ohms: 725 watts x 1 chan.
1 ohm: 1,000 watts x 1 chan.

Your only getting the 4 ohm 580 rms rating. If you have a sub that you can wire down to 1 ohm such as a DVC 2 ohm sub. Then youll be able to get that 1 ohm 1000rms power.

What is your sony amp? The gs series is not that bad, if it's a newer one. Also the really old ones aren't bad either. The jl is by no means a loud sub but it should be decent and sound good. How do you have the sub positioned in your trunk?
XM-2200GTX

Right behind rear seats facing toward the back.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.