Lacking mid bass on sub, please help???

Participant count
  • Participant list

TMills

I just set the gain by ear on my amp but im missing a lot of mids in songs (using a 40Hz tone i listened for clipping) . i had bass boost down all the way down and low pass all the way up to 200Hz to check for issues when tuning. I have a JL audio JX500/1D amp and JL CP112-W0v3. The JVC KWR 710 head unit has a weird way of categorizing mids. mids start at 1Khz on the HU. im not sure why the mids are being held back alot? should i tune the amp gain with a 70Hz or 80Hz tone and just accept the clipping at lower frequencies? Bass setting on HU (-6 to +6 levels) and i had it set to -4 because im still running stock speakers. i had mids on +2 because it just was a lil louder and treble which are pretty much useless because they start at 10Khz i have that set to +1. with those settings i can get the HU up to 35 volume and it has a max of 50, without distortion i guess. theres also a Sub setting on the HU (-8 to +8) which is at +8. i tried to keep it at 0 but it will not bump for kicks then. im super confused. right now i can only hear kicks but basslines arent coming in. What should i do? Put Gain down, bass boot up? //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/crap.gif.7f4dd41e3e9b23fbd170a1ee6f65cecc.gif

You have your settings horribly out of whack. To keep everything in perspective you have to tune with your eq flat. Right now you have 40 hz really high with the bass boost all the way up (good way to toast an amp or sub) then you have everything from 50 hz up to the mid setting, set low. Then you have the mids bumped up. Of course it's not going to have all of its frequency response. Eq's are there to tailor the sound. Not turn down frequencies so you can turn it up louder. When you do that and then compensate with the amp you have everything from 1k up playing louder than the bass lines and compensating with the amps bass boost you have a peak around 40 hz. Everything in between is set lower

Ok so put sub w setting on HU @ 0, mids @ 0, bass @ 0 and treble @ 0 and it will be equally as loud?? It doesn't seem like it, I have an 03 impala and my stocks speakers are super low on the kick panel. I put gain lower on amp to put bass boost in w/o the 40hz clipping. I thought it would be the same just have the amp more sensitive to bass signals. So basically I should start over. I really don't know how my speakers will handle the bass at high volumes so I tried to turn up the mids n highs on the speakers and just use the sub for the lows because I don't have a high pass filter but I'm really just confusing myself.

With factory speakers you will get factory sound. Whatever that may be. I can't say how your factory stuff should sound. Easy way is to put bass blockers on your factory speakers to help

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.