Is the 12w6v2 good for rock/metal music?

trichuris

BR
Hi. First of all, I'd like to say that I listen to a lot of rock/metal music. I'm looking for a good SQ subwoofer that can get a little loud sometimes. After doing some research, I was thinking about a single 12w6v2 in a sealed enclosure. So I ask you: is it good for rock/metal music? I really enjoy the guitar bass and kick drum, and I'd like it to sound tight and clean. Any help is greatly appreciated.

PS: it has been written in a CA&E review about this sub, regarding to the song "As Hard As It Is", that "the kick drum hits hard with a ton of impact and no hangover, but the kick drum is not all that audible". Does that mean that the subwoofer can't reproduce well the kick drums?

The w6v2 is pretty **** good sq woofer. They're really pricey, but they **** sure don't sound bad. I'd jump all over one if I could find a good deal, but with that said, you could get an idqv3 for about half the price that will have slightly better sq and similar output.

The w6v2 is pretty **** good sq woofer. They're really pricey, but they **** sure don't sound bad. I'd jump all over one if I could find a good deal, but with that said, you could get an idqv3 for about half the price that will have slightly better sq and similar output.
I personally wouldnt touch a JL after my experience with ID. Great subs. Even the entry level ID line is amazing. Put the IDQ in a 1.5 cube box tuned around 32Hz and you will be golden.

Is ported @ 32hz a bigger nut hug then Fi and Sundown? Sounds pretty much to me he should be running sealed.
Depending on the sub 28-34Hz is generally the sweet spot for daily tuning while still being musical.

The EBP of the IDQ is a 59.5 where the FS is 26 and the QES is .437. Could go either way as far as sealed or ported goes, but leans much closer to the ported side.

I personally wouldnt touch a JL after my experience with ID. Great subs. Even the entry level ID line is amazing. Put the IDQ in a 1.5 cube box tuned around 32Hz and you will be golden.
Tuning that low would lose quite a bit of the 'punchiness' I would think he'd expect for the type of music he will be listening to.

I used to have one of the entry ID 15's. That thing absolutely LOVED 2.8 cubes at 28hz. I love ID subs, but I stand by my word in saying that I wouldn't blink before picking up a w6v2 (only if it was a good deal, no way I would pay retail for it).

id take an ID sub over a jl sub anyday

jl makes great subs, but for the price you can get better

Image Dynamics IDMAX10 D4 V3 Car Stereo 10" Woofer V3 | eBay

million times betetr then a w6

IDQ12V3.D2 IMAGE DYNAMICS SUB 12" V3 DUAL 2 OHM WOOFER | eBay

SSA Shop - SoundSolutionsAudio 12" SSA ICON Sub woofer

SSA Shop - Incriminator Audio 12" Flatlyne Sub woofer

https://ssl.perfora.net/www.ficaraudio.com/sess/utn154db5d9c57818c/shopdata/0050_Speakers/0030_Q/product_overview.shopscript

i personally would do either the icon first, fi q second, and then flatlyne third

icon would be amazing and i would def do a sealed enclosure if your listening to rock, tuned higher.

Listening to a lot of rock/metal you will want to make sure your mid speakers can reproduce the midbass well. The lowest frequency coming from most metal guitarists is going to be 73 hz (drop D), and the punch from kick drums is usually in the 60-80 hz range. Both guitar and kick drum frequencies are at the upper level or above where your sub is going to be crossed.

That being said, many good choices for sq subs have been mentioned above. The JL's do sound great but are overpriced.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.