is it possible?

SOUNDz
10+ year member

Senior VIP Member
.......that if u go from having a 2v pioneer deck to a 5v eclipse, that u will notice the difference in how far u have to have the gains set on ur amp? since 5 is more than half of 2, would that mean that if the amp was set 3/4 of the way with the 2v, that using 5v, would it put out as much pwr being set 1/2 way? may seem stupid but a 750w amp, this 2v pioneer, and an alt that's probably putting out 13.1v [at least that's what cap shows] is not sounding no where near decent. 2- 250w subs barely move..... //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/eek.gif.771b7a90cf45cabdc554ff1121c21c4a.gif wow:crazy: ........yeah right.

near the inputs, do you have a signal sensitivity adjustment. you should. play with that, you should be able to turn turn the sensitvity down if i remember correctly.

I haven't ever seen pre-our voltage having an effect on amplifier gains, although I'm sure it has some effect. I would look at other options to getting your system sounding better, because the Eclipse isn't going to be a miracle cure.

when the signal input sensitivity is out of adjustment, it will still sound good at high volumes. however, at low volumes there will be a strong presence of bass, too much in other words. a lower h/u pre amp voltage will need less signal sensitivity, and vise virsa.

Originally posted by bri487 when the signal input sensitivity is out of adjustment, it will still sound good at high volumes. however, at low volumes there will be a strong presence of bass, too much in other words. a lower h/u pre amp voltage will need less signal sensitivity, and vise virsa.
Too much bass??? //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/confused.gif.e820e0216602db4765798ac39d28caa9.gif :confused: Are you feeling ok?

Originally posted by bri487 five is more than twice as much as two
actually you're both right....half of two is 1....and 5 is more than 1.

i do believe that when you raise the voltage from the hu that your amp gains will need to be lower. theres no set point...but you should readjust them nonetheless.

Originally posted by eengrms Too much bass??? //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/confused.gif.e820e0216602db4765798ac39d28caa9.gif :confused: Are you feeling ok?
to the point where there is no music, just bass. i dont know about you, but bass that is that far out of balance from the rest of the components gives me a headache.//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/banghead.gif.8606515f668c74f6de0281deb475b6fd.gif

Gain setting is directly related to HU output voltage. That's what gain controls are for... to match the preout signal to the amp. If the gain was set correctly with a 2V preout, you will definitely need to readjust it with 5 v.

Originally posted by maylar Gain setting is directly related to HU output voltage. That's what gain controls are for... to match the preout signal to the amp. If the gain was set correctly with a 2V preout, you will definitely need to readjust it with 5 v.
if you can adjust the input signal sensitivity, then you can have more play left with your gains. then you can set the gains to whatever you want. that is why most amps have signal sensitivity adjustments.

wrong //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/nono.gif.eca61d170185779e0921b0faa9704973.gif

input sensitivty is an adjustment used to match up the signal level of the system to produce a desired level from the amp. while a gain is used to adjust the level of the amps output. and even if they were the same thing, then why do you think they put two seperate adjustments on the amp if they do the same thing?

Ok, from what I understand, this is how it works.

The preout of a HU is like a preamp to your power amp. The more volts your HU is sending to your power amp, the more current will flow to your subs which will in turn, make your subs LOUDER. That's why a 5V HU is a lot better than a 2V HU in terms of the preouts.

About your question on why your subs aren't hitting very hard, what is the RMS(continuous) rating of your amplifier and your subs? How big are the subs and what sort of box do you have?

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.