Inverting Subs?

schrunk
10+ year member

iowa
I was looking at a few show cars around where I live and I see that the new thing is to invert your subs and reverse the phase to get better spl out of them. By invert I mean that you mount them backwards so that they have the cone insid ethe box and the backs of the subs faceing outside the box and just reversing the phase of the speakers. Is this a good idea or bad? I want to do this with my perfects but I would like a opinion first.

well, I dont think it makes that big a difference, just inverting the back and forward sound waves... you would get more box volume though, cause the magnet wont be in the box. The best reason to do it would probably be that it looks cool!

Originally posted by budgetSQ well, I dont think it makes that big a difference, just inverting the back and forward sound waves... you would get more box volume though, cause the magnet wont be in the box. The best reason to do it would probably be that it looks cool!
Precisely not much difference other than a little extra volume and looks. But it's nothing new. The idea has been around quite a while. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

if the subs are in different chambers, make sure you make the inverted chamber a little smaller to account for not having the displacement of the sub. if they are in a common chamber, it should be fine. if you are sending a mono signal to them, i would suggest a common chamber, just make sure it is properly braced

if your are using common airspace, your subs might be fighting each other. When the 1 goes up, the other two are going "down". Could cause problems:confused:

Originally posted by Glassed-Expo If inverted should box be ported?
The radiating area of a woofer (cone) produces an equal amount of waves (sound) from either side of itself... the woofer(s) will be as loud inverted, as they are mounted normally...

Originally posted by budgetSQ if your are using common airspace, your subs might be fighting each other. When the 1 goes up, the other two are going "down". Could cause problems:confused:
As long as the woofers are wired up correctly (with the one inverted woofer wired backwards or 180 degress out of phase with the other woofers) they will not be any major problems...

I guess I should go ahead and mention that small problems related to output and such could occur with running inverted woofers with normal mounted woofers, IF the woofers in question are not glued to rest at the true center of the gap. When they are offset, the cone is more easily 'driven' one way than the other... In any case, it's nothing to be majorly concerned about... No reason to not run this type of setup...

Loyd L.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.