Inverting Sub

i had my 4 12's like that, 2 were in the box normal, and 2 were inverted,

with my experiences with the, i think that one sentance sums it up:

looks cool-- dosent do a da.mn thing.

Matt

its done a little good with my 4 tens

when they would hit really really low notes, since i have so much air to move in my cab, i could actually feel the pressure in my ears when they would take an outstroke, and like just hear the note and the nothingness sort of when they would take an instroke. so i said, ****in ill invert two so that way, while two are taking an instroke, two are essentially taking an outstroke and vice versa. but besides that it really hasnt done anything. but it was enough to annoy me till i did that.

Originally posted by AScreenName its done a little good with my 4 tens

when they would hit really really low notes, since i have so much air to move in my cab, i could actually feel the pressure in my ears when they would take an outstroke, and like just hear the note and the nothingness sort of when they would take an instroke. so i said, ****in ill invert two so that way, while two are taking an instroke, two are essentially taking an outstroke and vice versa. but besides that it really hasnt done anything. but it was enough to annoy me till i did that.
4 10"s? Sweet man..

Originally posted by Jmac Sound wise, it will be slightly deeper. You will, however, lose a bit of SPL. Just remember to invert the wiring, too :p

lol yes remember that. i thought i did but now i have to hook my two center wires up on the terminal cups backwards

another thing it was used for, was if you're wanting two subs in a small enclosure, say a glove box sized or something. if you put a sub regular and invert one, and its all one chamber, the pressure in the enclosre stays the same since one is taking an outstroke and one is taking an instroke. its called an isobaric enclosure, iso-one, baric-relating to pressure.

Inverted mounting of the sub doesn't affect sound quality. It just makes the sub less efficient - you'll loose -3dB when sub is mounted that way.

So basically (I just noticed) everything above is correct). But remember that the phase is just the opposite of the phase when mounted regulary.

Bye!

from snowy Slovenia!

Originally posted by actlsub Inverting the subwoofer witht the magnet on the outside of the box saves space by decreasing box volume, but doesnt it sound diffrent? I was told it sounds the same by a jl dealer but im not convinced.
That would increase the volume of the box....as a general rule the SQ is the same and the SPL is slightly decreased by invert mounting.

Sorry, my mistake!!!

Don't know what I was thinking, guess it was just too late...

You don't loose 3dB, but the volume lever is slightly lower.

About polarity: The phase reverses when the sub is mounted inverted - say that every speaker in your car is connected properly -> pluses to pluses and minuses to minuses, including the sub. So all speakers move up and down simultanously, but - since the sub is mounted inverted, the sub will push air out (moving down) when all other speakers will "****" the air in (moving down).

Anyways, sometimes it is even better to have a phase switched on the sub - it could work well with your front system so the lower notes would seem to come from the front and not from the trunk - where i assume that the sub is.

Sorry 4 mistake, hope you get this polarity stuf.

Bye!

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.