Integrating car amp into home audio

Dafaseles

CarAudio.com Exclusive
I want to build a box for one of my w6's to use in my garage paired with my home audio receiver. I have a JX1000.1 to power it.
I watched a couple of videos on YouTube, but I'm still a bit foggy on the particulars on how to do so.
I need an AC to DC converter. Do I need an 80 amp, 1000 watt converter? I found one for a computer (I think it's for a computer) but I can't figure out how to hook it up to the amp. I've seen some online that just have terminals like a battery, that's straight forward, but I don't think I've found one strong enough for the amplifier.
Anyone have any experience with this that can shed some light?

You could use a regular 50a Shumacher battery charger in conjunction with a battery. Maybe an 100a converter instead.
Screenshot_20220130-012015.png

That PowerMax 100 amp looks like it would work well, though no experience with that brand.

A cheaper option would be using an old server power supply or two.

Maybe not this exact one, but something similar which can produce 74 amps at 12v with a line voltage of 120v. You can buy a pair of them and parallel them for over 140 amps, but you need a dedicated circuit breaker as they can pull up to 12a from the mains breaker, each fully loaded. Now a JX1000/1 is typically not going to pull 100a and one 75a power supply would probably suffice and not trip breakers or overload on music, but hard to say until tested. The key is to find one with documented info on wiring it up. The HP DL580 is fairly common and info on it readily available.
http://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/711-5...0001&campid=5335951755&icep_item=153922736060

Some info on making it work.
https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/sho...high-quality-12Volt-100Amp-Power-Supply-Part1

The built in fan is loud and would likely need to slow that down to make it quieter, or mount it behind something so you don't hear it as easily. You also need to be creative with connecting several wires to the 12v terminals and then to a pair of small distribution blocks to make connecting normal car audio power wire easier. You also need to wire a jumper to turn the power supply on, and you can also add a small potentiometer to raise the voltage slightly above 12v if you want to, think you can get 13v out of them roughly. Not all that difficult, the info is pretty easy to find on doing it, and very cheap for as much power as they produce, but not plug and play and will require some extra work to make usable. Look up pricing on the 120v AC power cords before buying one, it is not the same a 3 pin computer cord and they usually do not come with one.

Similar to that PowerMax shown above, if you wanted a little easier, you could find an old Cascade Audio APS-75, or APS-90, even better the APS-100 power supply. A lot more money though, but you can connect car audio power wire directly to its block terminals, think it accepts 4 gauge. This is a very simple solution. This style is about as plug and play as it gets. These were really good power supplies, were rather expensive but my experience they worked very well. I think a 75a would just about be enough for that amp in your garage. Though I'd still consider that PowerMax over this one since it puts out 100a.
http://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/711-5...0001&campid=5335951755&icep_item=114932096981

I use to repair car audio amps and used a Cascade 45 amp for basic initial testing which powered amps very well (would have only powered a JX1000 to about half output). I also have a stack of those HP server supplies and they also work well, just not as easy to setup, but they were dirt cheap and put out huge current if you don't mind being creative with the wiring. If you can run them on 240v, a pair of those server supplies can supply over 200 amps. Fans are super noisy though.

You could use a regular 50a Shumacher battery charger in conjunction with a battery. Maybe an 100a converter instead.
View attachment 35424
I was really hoping not to have to use s car battery being as it'll be sitting in my garage with my kids playing with my tools (damn kids). But I will of I have to. I'll just have to figure out how to make it safe.

That PowerMax 100 amp looks like it would work well, though no experience with that brand.

A cheaper option would be using an old server power supply or two.

Maybe not this exact one, but something similar which can produce 74 amps at 12v with a line voltage of 120v. You can buy a pair of them and parallel them for over 140 amps, but you need a dedicated circuit breaker as they can pull up to 12a from the mains breaker, each fully loaded. Now a JX1000/1 is typically not going to pull 100a and one 75a power supply would probably suffice and not trip breakers or overload on music, but hard to say until tested. The key is to find one with documented info on wiring it up. The HP DL580 is fairly common and info on it readily available.
http://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/711-5...0001&campid=5335951755&icep_item=153922736060

Some info on making it work.
https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/sho...high-quality-12Volt-100Amp-Power-Supply-Part1

The built in fan is loud and would likely need to slow that down to make it quieter, or mount it behind something so you don't hear it as easily. You also need to be creative with connecting several wires to the 12v terminals and then to a pair of small distribution blocks to make connecting normal car audio power wire easier. You also need to wire a jumper to turn the power supply on, and you can also add a small potentiometer to raise the voltage slightly above 12v if you want to, think you can get 13v out of them roughly. Not all that difficult, the info is pretty easy to find on doing it, and very cheap for as much power as they produce, but not plug and play and will require some extra work to make usable. Look up pricing on the 120v AC power cords before buying one, it is not the same a 3 pin computer cord and they usually do not come with one.

Similar to that PowerMax shown above, if you wanted a little easier, you could find an old Cascade Audio APS-75, or APS-90, even better the APS-100 power supply. A lot more money though, but you can connect car audio power wire directly to its block terminals, think it accepts 4 gauge. This is a very simple solution. This style is about as plug and play as it gets. These were really good power supplies, were rather expensive but my experience they worked very well. I think a 75a would just about be enough for that amp in your garage. Though I'd still consider that PowerMax over this one since it puts out 100a.
http://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/711-5...0001&campid=5335951755&icep_item=114932096981

I use to repair car audio amps and used a Cascade 45 amp for basic initial testing which powered amps very well (would have only powered a JX1000 to about half output). I also have a stack of those HP server supplies and they also work well, just not as easy to setup, but they were dirt cheap and put out huge current if you don't mind being creative with the wiring. If you can run them on 240v, a pair of those server supplies can supply over 200 amps. Fans are super noisy though.
That's a lot of good info there.
Ease of setup would be a great thing! Being able to just use 4 awg from the converter to the amp would be ideal. However much it would cost. And I wouldn't even be able to hear any fans over the music and my tools anyway 🤣

Taramps post videos all the time on Facebook of them running setups off just the power supply.
I'll have to look into that. I don't have Facebook though. Sometimes it still let's me see things.
I see now that there where more pictures on that link than I initially saw. It does have two nice lug style outputs on the side. That thing is actually pretty decent.

I want to build a box for one of my w6's to use in my garage paired with my home audio receiver. I have a JX1000.1 to power it.
I watched a couple of videos on YouTube, but I'm still a bit foggy on the particulars on how to do so.
I need an AC to DC converter. Do I need an 80 amp, 1000 watt converter? I found one for a computer (I think it's for a computer) but I can't figure out how to hook it up to the amp. I've seen some online that just have terminals like a battery, that's straight forward, but I don't think I've found one strong enough for the amplifier.

Just buy a plate amp or get yourself a PA receiver and a cheap active crossover powered with an old 12V wall wart...

Local guy is selling 2kW Crown Power amps for $230 for example.. used electronic xover off eBay or wherever and you are laughing

I

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...