Installed remote start subwoofer stopped working

Mr Lahey

Hey guys I have a 2000 honda crv and installed a 12" sub and amp in my car over a year ago and have had no problems at all. Today however I had a remote starter installed and now my subwoofer isnt working anymore. The head unit and all speakers work fine. I looked at the amp and the power light just barely flickers likes its getting very low inconsistent power. I looked at all the connections and they seemed fine. I dont understand how a remote starter would draw power away from my amp so any help is appreciated! Thanks

^^ this, my guess is that they have disconnect the battery loosing all your headunit settings. and havnt set it up again. but in saying this take it to the shop and ask them befor you stuff with anything

thanks for all the replies. I checked all the fuses and they are all fine, deck settings havent changed at all. I actually had it installed at my work for free so I will talk to the guy who installed it tomorrow. I was just hoping to maybe get an idea of what was going on because I dont think he has really done anything on the car audio side of things. I work at a car dealership so it isnt really like a specialty shop or anything. The only thing I happened to notice was that my ground for the amp is between two painted pieces of metal, but it worked fine before and bumped hard //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

Well its been around -25c and colder here pretty often lately and while the engine is definitely slower to crank it still starts up fine. I will talk to the guy tomorrow and possibly be back :p

First do nothing as has been said.. whoever did the work needs to fix it, esp. if you paid. Even if not,.. if he can install a remote start he can figure out what is up.

Second.. I'd put a DMM on the amp power terminal and see what it reads with the car on and headunit on. If it's getting less than 12-15volts.. you know what the problem is.

There is a small possibility the amp was damaged itself .. A flickering light would generally mean lack of proper power source, remote issue , or ground wire issue. But those are usually an On/Off situation,.. A flicker seems like a loose wire or dirty/corroded wire, be it power/ground .. or I guess possibly remote wire.

Remote wire, ground.. definitely check those. Even if ground (Ground coming from amp to car chassis) is solid.. I would remove it,.. sand, clean the terminals and bolt and chassis part of the car it is attached to really well with a wirebrush.. etc.. Then Put it back on and tighten the bolt with locknut back down nice and tight.

Though you have a remote starter installed, so who knows what the guy knocked loose, disconnected, or otherwise messed up. This is why if you want it done right you do it yourself. (Understandably not everyone is mechanically inclined).

I'm sure it's simple.. given the amp appears to be getting a very weak signal.

has to be something with a remote wire getting loose or not tight, or ground as mentioned. its getting inadequate power supply

my guess is the battery was deep cycled during the install of the remote start. Low voltage spikes amperage and kill electronics. If the fuses are still good and you have 12v at the amp on both remote and power I wouldnt be surprised if it killed the amp. Redo ground anyway and try again.

^^ this, my guess is that they have disconnect the battery loosing all your headunit settings. and havnt set it up again. but in saying this take it to the shop and ask them befor you stuff with anything
headunit settings have absolutely nothing to do with a bad connection at the amp. remote wire, yes. but not the settings

Well had the guy look at it today, he checked the voltage on the power terminal the amp and it read 12 volts when he grounded the multi meter to the chasis of the car but only 7v if he grounded it to the ground terminal of the amp. So took out the ground wire and he soldered both ends as they were previously just crimped.

At this point I tried hooking it back up to where it was previously grounded and it didnt work. So I found a better ground location and sanded down to the metal and it worked after that. So thanks for all the replies, still dont really understand why that happened but all is good now that I got my bass back //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

Yeah, but it worked fine for over a year before the install. Worked right up the moment I got out the car for him to work on it, then didnt work after. He wasn't working anywhere near the ground though, which is what I dont get. Is it just a major coincidence that it happened after he worked on it? Ill admit its probably not the greatest wiring job, it was the first install ive ever done but this was the first problem ive ever had since the install.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.