install Q's - Chevy blazer

Participant count
  • Participant list

mickyd32
10+ year member

Canada
I'm going to install a deck into my brother's 98 blazer on the weekend, will I require an intenna extension and does the factory tape player have to be kept as part of the system in this vehicle (ie. like many of the newer pontiac's, gm's and so on). By this I mean do I have to rewire the factory HU to somewhere else or buy a module, I don't know where the distinction comes in as far as years are concearned for when you could remove the factory hu, and when you had to retain it.

Also, will the wiring harness for a 95 pontiac grand prix be the same as the wiring harness for on 01 grand prix? Same goes for the mounting kits, are they interchangeable for those years?

On the Blazer, it's unlikely that you'll need an antenna extension. I didn't when installing a Sony HU in my '04 Blazer. I did have to slip a rubber o-ring over the outside of the antenna plug that goes in the back of the HU, because the plug fit kinda loose (needed to be a bit wider in diameter to keep it in there more securely). Might just be a Sony thing.

I don't think you'll need to relocate the stock radio. From what I've read, that seems to affect certain radios from trucks in the 2000-03 range (or thereabout). And even then, there's some debate about whether or not you actually need to keep the stock radio. GM had integrated some door chime and other electronic features through the radio (maybe OnStar, too...not sure) for a period of time but they don't do that now (at least not on my Blazer) and I don't think they were doing that in '98.

Can't help ya on the Grand Prix...sorry.

You won't need an antenna extension but you will need a GM antenna adapter. You don't have to worry about the data bus; this wasn't used on any GM before 2000 (and I don't think it was ever used in the Blazer).

The 95 and 01 Grand Prix will use the same harness and kit.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

About this thread

mickyd32

10+ year member
mickyd32
Canada
Start date
Participants
Who Replied
Replies
Views
Last reply date
Last reply from