Input on new front stage

[/color]

Alright I haven't posted on this site much, I made the account long ago and now am getting back into car audio.
For Christmas i received a deh-80prs so I want to go full active front stage.

On sonicelectronix I found a set of sony gs-1720s 6.5" components for $159.99 with a $100 dollar store credit

Sony XS-GS1720S with $100 eGift Card - Sonic Electronix

the speakers take 75w rms per side, components, and the crossover is bi-ampable...seems legit

I also found the clarion x1410 300w 4 channel amp, and I think Im going to use the $100 credit towards that.

This amp puts out 50w x4 @4ohms so if im thinking right each speaker will get 50w, however they are only rated for 75w per side a.k.a 37.5w per coil. I will be overpowering these speakers by 12.5w per coil but with the advanced tuning of the 80prs and no harmful tones going through the speakers I feel that I will fair ok as far as that goes

I am just wanting input on this current setup, the compact amp will work perfect for my application as I don't want to have to remove carpet or seats to mount the amp under a seat, so keep that in mind.

Thanks for any input in advanced, I really appreciate it!!
Keep in mind that you will not need the crossovers if you're running them active. The gs line isn't awful, so for $50 you didn't do bad. I would definitely get a nicer amp though. It's actually better to have 2x's or more the rms of the speakers on tap. Headroom is nice to have.

Well that's good news on the speakers I was hoping it wouldn't be a total loss. I went ahead and ordered a Kenwood KAC-2404S, which who knows on that...probably not the right choice there but was in a rush to get the **** ordered...Im really thinking about canceling the order and waiting to buy a better amp. Any suggestions for an amp for under $150?

I personally wouldn't buy the speakers you listed. Budget Sony speakers have been unlistenable to me.
Same price but way better speaker system:

Alpine SPR-60C (SPR60C) 6.5" 2-Way Type-R Component Car Speakers

Since you would lose the store credit, look on our classifieds for a used 4 channel amp.

The compact XC1410 is not the amp you want and won't do the system justice.

i know i'm pushing you to spend more than $150 for speakers and an amp, but i think your expectations are exceeding the budget.
i've personally compared the type R speakers vs the sony GS line of speakers, trust me, the sonys are way clearer with better midrange and treble then the type Rs can ever dream of achieving. overall its a much better speaker then the type R. Midbass is only a slight bit recessed compared to the type R but its no slouch. I was iffy when I heard the guy said sonys are better then Type Rs but listening and comparing side to side, sony's a clear winner.

Well that's good news on the speakers I was hoping it wouldn't be a total loss. I went ahead and ordered a Kenwood KAC-2404S, which who knows on that...probably not the right choice there but was in a rush to get the **** ordered...Im really thinking about canceling the order and waiting to buy a better amp. Any suggestions for an amp for under $150?
Precision Power PPI BK 800.4 800W RMS, 4-Ch Class A/B Black Ice Car Amp

your speakers are fine, you might just need to tone down the upper midrange a bit if you are blasting it really loud.

[/color]
Keep in mind that you will not need the crossovers if you're running them active. The gs line isn't awful, so for $50 you didn't do bad. I would definitely get a nicer amp though. It's actually better to have 2x's or more the rms of the speakers on tap. Headroom is nice to have.
I was wondering that, why would the crossover even need to be made bi-ampable? I saw that the sony crossover was and it didnt make sense seeing as all of my filtering will be done at the hu.

i've personally compared the type R speakers vs the sony GS line of speakers, trust me, the sonys are way clearer with better midrange and treble then the type Rs can ever dream of achieving. overall its a much better speaker then the type R. Midbass is only a slight bit recessed compared to the type R but its no slouch. I was iffy when I heard the guy said sonys are better then Type Rs but listening and comparing side to side, sony's a clear winner.
i'll give them another listen. When I last compared Sony XS against Type-R I felt the Alpine was muffled and the Sony was thin.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.