Input on new front stage

SC4
10+ year member

Alright I haven't posted on this site much, I made the account long ago and now am getting back into car audio.

For Christmas i received a deh-80prs so I want to go full active front stage.

On sonicelectronix I found a set of sony gs-1720s 6.5" components for $159.99 with a $100 dollar store credit

http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_75379_Sony-XS-GS1720S-with-100-eGift-Card.html

the speakers take 75w rms per side, components, and the crossover is bi-ampable...seems legit

I also found the clarion x1410 300w 4 channel amp, and I think Im going to use the $100 credit towards that.

This amp puts out 50w x4 @4ohms so if im thinking right each speaker will get 50w, however they are only rated for 75w per side a.k.a 37.5w per coil. I will be overpowering these speakers by 12.5w per coil but with the advanced tuning of the 80prs and no harmful tones going through the speakers I feel that I will fair ok as far as that goes

I am just wanting input on this current setup, the compact amp will work perfect for my application as I don't want to have to remove carpet or seats to mount the amp under a seat, so keep that in mind.

Thanks for any input in advanced, I really appreciate it!!

I personally wouldn't buy the speakers you listed. Budget Sony speakers have been unlistenable to me.

Same price but way better speaker system:

Alpine SPR-60C (SPR60C) 6.5" 2-Way Type-R Component Car Speakers

Since you would lose the store credit, look on our classifieds for a used 4 channel amp.

The compact XC1410 is not the amp you want and won't do the system justice.

i know i'm pushing you to spend more than $150 for speakers and an amp, but i think your expectations are exceeding the budget.

I personally wouldn't buy the speakers you listed. Budget Sony speakers have been unlistenable to me.
Same price but way better speaker system:

Alpine SPR-60C (SPR60C) 6.5" 2-Way Type-R Component Car Speakers

Since you would lose the store credit, look on our classifieds for a used 4 channel amp.

The compact XC1410 is not the amp you want and won't do the system justice.

i know i'm pushing you to spend more than $150 for speakers and an amp, but i think your expectations are exceeding the budget.
Well that is certainly a let down...i already ordered the speakers and have the credit...Im not looking for a competition quality sq setup just something that will get me good sound...now I know with walmart sonys I could understand but I was under the impression that these would far surpass that quality level....

Also, What about the amp will not fit my expectations, I never really stated my expectations first of all, But do you have any experience with the unit, or reasoning at all?

Don't think you'll get what you want from the Sonys the tweets tend to be very harsh sounding and the Mids have very little or no mid bass response

Don't think you'll get what you want from the Sonys the tweets tend to be very harsh sounding and the Mids have very little or no mid bass response
I don't understand this though, sony makes a lot of speakers @ a largerange of prices, have you specifically dealt with these speakers? All of the reviews seem to say good things about them. Sorry about my constant counter questions but I hate when someone says something is junk and they haven't heard the set themselves. just as I was asking keep_hope_alive about the amp I mean what are the reasons, what is the basis for your thought? Have you heard bad sonys, someone told you sonys have those qualities ...too much info on the internet is just word of mouth...one person says something, someone else repeats it, someone else reads that and applies it to their situation all sprouting from one opinion...

I've heard a wide range of sony speakers over the years home audio is pretty decent but that's it. Sony doesnt make good car audio hasn't for quite sometime I do have access to all mainstream equipment and lets just say that Sony is lacking in all of their newer car audio lines but what sounds like crap to me my be what your wanting the way speakers sound in general will depend on the install and your own ears

Yea it definitely depends on the ears, I appreciate the info man, but since Ive already ordered i guess it will be up to my tuning ability to make them sound as best as they can! hopefully this active 3-way network on my 80prs can make em sing....if not, its a lesson learned

---------- Post added at 11:14 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:13 AM ----------

and a side note sony's aren't usually my cup of tea but when i saw that I could do a fulla ctive front stage w/ amp for 160 I was all over it...these stock speakers arent doing my headunit any justice

Just IMO, I'd piece a system together from Madisound or PE if you're running active. But comp sets can be easier, and sometimes better if you don't do your homework.

Just IMO, I'd piece a system together from Madisound or PE if you're running active. But comp sets can be easier, and sometimes better if you don't do your homework.
Yea, maybe ill check that out next time but as these are ordered. I think im gonna roll with it

you ordered the speakers before asking if they were a good choice? sorry, i misunderstood that you were asking if they were a good choice.

since you have the credit, just buy a better amp. something with defeatable crossovers and low THD at rated power (shoot for

running the Sony's active may help because you can increase the crossover point on the tweeters to smooth them out.

The sony gs series really isnt that bad really alot of local shops are pushing them hard due to the performance they can get from them.

one dealer compared them to the dd german comps for low volumes but they stress at higher volumes compared to the dd comps

Considering he's active, he may able to manage the sonys okay. Probably will be disappointed in midbass, and probably clarity at higher levels.. idk though, the prs will help
From all the reviews from dealers not trying to make me come off my morels they seem like they should be decent

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.