inner power?

Participant count
  • Participant list

SOUNDz
10+ year member

Senior VIP Member
does anyone know what exactly provides the power in an amp? i have a bd 1000 and when i first heard the power i was impressed. one of my subs sounded funny and the bass power dropped a little. i think the dust cap was leaking some. i con't to play them until i got fed up with the sound and decided to put glue on it. played them a day or so later now the bass power has dropped tremendously. subs made popping sound. i figured they were messed up so i sent them to be repaired just to find it was nothing wrong with them. so i tested anothe pair of subs and they sounded the same way. something must be up cause now just to get the subs moving i have to turn the gain up very high. when i first got the amp, the subs looked like they could not take another notch of power, even at 1/3 power. mtx4000's were used to see if amp was putting out, and there is no way anyone can say that mtx4000's can handle a bd1000! they were moving like they were on a 50w amp.

The 12V input voltage is rapidly turned on and off by a set of transistors. That allows transformer action to take place. The switched voltage is then stepped up by the power supply transformer to a higher voltage. That voltage is the rectified by diodes and smoothed out by capacitors. Then the voltage is applied to output transistors. A small input voltage( your rca input) is applied to the transistor as well. This small voltage can control the much larger output voltage on the transistor coming from the power supply. Basically the small voltage makes the transistor, or whatever kind of output device the amp uses to either conduct more or less. The output voltage swing will (should) follow the input signal. Very basic explanation but there is alot more to it especially transistor theory and such...

Yeah I saw that you lived in the Great Metropolis of Silver Lake. Dated a girl that lived there once... You still there or in Topeka.?

well, now i guess another dillema? now, subs wont play at all, but the amp power light is still on. is it possible for an amp to be screwed up, but the power light still work? i took subs in the house and wired them to a small stereo and they work.does anyone know what can be wrong with the amp?

Sounds to me like you have a blown RF Streak grill (I call them that from all the heat that they produce:D ) You could take it somewhere like a local car audio shop and ask them to take a look at it or if your willin to risk it then you can take the cover of your amp, but this will void the warranty:( . If you do decide to take the cover off the amp then look for any burned spots on the bottom and top of the Circuit Board.//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/wink.gif.608e3ea05f1a9f98611af0861652f8fb.gif

the amp power is on or just the remote light? r the fans turning, if not check ur inline fuse. one time i thougth the amp was fine but the remote wire turns on a light in the amp tha makes it seem on, so i thought it was workign, but the fuse was blown.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.