inline fuse help

Participant count
  • Participant list

Johnsonmn2
10+ year member

Okay I have a 4awg wire setup to a distro block in the trunk with a 1000rms and a 200 rms amp. My inline fuse holder is only a 100a MAXI setup and it has never blown. My wire length is about 16' and i know that i will never get full power with this wire to both my amps. The fuses on my amps are 60x2 and 30x1 so the distro block is fused that way with 120a x1 and 30x1. Does it make a difference that my setup is fused higher at the block that at the inline? I was under the impression that at the distro you should fuse each channel per the amps rated fuse size. Should I get a completely new inline fuse rated at 150a then?

No, your setup is fine as-is. The fusing at the distro block is purely to protect the wires after the block. The inline fuse is to protect your main run of wire. The amps have their own internal fusing that will protect them in the case of over current. Unless you start blowing fuses don't worry about changing them, with that much power though you may want to think about bumping your main run up to 1/0 then use 4 gauge from your distro to each amp.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.