in a sealed box, does the shape of the box matter?

wickedmax
10+ year member

Senior VIP Member
would a wide box with shallow depth used for 1 12" sub sound the same as a box with the same demensions for each side? ...considering the volumes are all the same. im contemplating on building myself a sealed box for 1 RE SE12 (this should be interesting) and i want it to go in the back of my trunk with the sub facing through the trunk pass through hole. thanx

What's wrong with making a cube?

I want a box with a flat back, that tapers upwards in the front. Gonna have to relearn some trapezoid math, but definitely building my own (I had this idea before I read that it was a good thing). But anyway, will this design sound the same as any other kind of box?

An e12O.44 is going into the box.

basically with a cube, all of the sides are the exact same length/width/depth. when the sound wave bounces off of the rear baffle and towards the front, since the lengths are exactly the same, the soundwaves cancel each other out. or thats what i beleive happens. other people know more about it than i do, but that is my general understanding of it.

it doesnt matter if the box is a perfect cube. it makes no difference. also, it doesnt matter what shape the box is just so long as there is the proper amount of airspace. also if you are building a ported box, there must be the width or diameter of the port's length between the end of the port and the back of the box.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.