Im thinking of trading my JL Audio for these ... what do you think?

So you've been thru my pain, rough stuff - that's a nice pic of your w7 , is that a 12 or a 13.5? 140db is a lot but with this big old van I have I need more to feel more since I'm far from the door now.
not my setup, I run Hertz and Audison. The pic is a buddy's car that i'm helping on.

I put a single 18" in an Astro Van and it's doing low 140's on 2kW without really pushing it.

amps were mounted behind factory panels.

IMG_20130622_053359_447.jpg

BrianVanAmpComplete016.jpg

IMAG1316.jpg

fuses accessible behind removal pieces in the factory panel, such as cup holders

BrianVanAmpComplete014.jpg

in that van I did testing of various locations and the rear passenger corner, facing rear, was the best location.

I have also moved the box around and I actually have standing up like you did on this but its in the rear facing the passenger side behind the bench seat. I will take a pic and send later.

---------- Post added at 09:35 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:34 AM ----------

The 12W7HO should play plenty low, but a lot louder than your 10W6. You may want to tweak your crossover settings. I'd leave the box alone.
crossover settings on the hu or the amp?

Like the lp filter and the subsonic settings . I never feel too sure of my settings.

http://support.alpine-usa.com/products/documents/MRX-M100_M50%20EN_FR_ES.pdf

what HU? amp crossovers are more predictable. most set the LPF around 80Hz. Subsonic should be around 28Hz for a JL box (most are tuned 30-32Hz IIRC)

the only gain to building a new box would be a lower tuning frequency. the JL boxes are built very well. I have a dual 12W3 HO box sitting in my basement, nearly 13 years old now.

what HU? amp crossovers are more predictable. most set the LPF around 80Hz. Subsonic should be around 28Hz for a JL box (most are tuned 30-32Hz IIRC)
the only gain to building a new box would be a lower tuning frequency. the JL boxes are built very well. I have a dual 12W3 HO box sitting in my basement, nearly 13 years old now.
Thank you for explaining, I've been researching the box I just bought and most reviews are good but I find a few of people stating the same thing that I am. For some reason you cant really hear the lows with this sub and box combo. It just lacks that deep low bass that I expected from the larger cone area and bigger box. I am going to try the settings on the amp and see how that works out and if that doesn't help I may be considering a building a box. The box is a HO112R W7 by the way .

They are tuned in the 40s and are known to fall apart. I don't know which ones you are seeing.

Thank you for explaining, I've been researching the box I just bought and most reviews are good but I find a few of people stating the same thing that I am. For some reason you cant really hear the lows with this sub and box combo. It just lacks that deep low bass that I expected from the larger cone area and bigger box. I am going to try the settings on the amp and see how that works out and if that doesn't help I may be considering a building a box. The box is a HO112R W7 by the way .
Set the crossover at 50/60hz if you think there's too much high bass and not enough low bass.

I set the HU xover to 50hz
And you still don't like the way it sounds? What's the subsonic set at?

If your HU lpf is set 50hz and your subsonic is at 30hz you effectively made a 30-50hz bandpass which is very limited and also that box will hit below 30hz so I'd lower the subsonic and see how that sounds.

I am using an alpine mrx m100 AMP. And this is loud and beats hard but I am looking softer lows , deep rich type lows.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.