Im thinking of trading my JL Audio for these ... what do you think?

well this W7 is louder though which is what I wanted , but now I lack the lows so I am thinking that with the right box it will be a win win.

I never thought I'd be doing this but my gain is almost all the up on w7. The w6 was barely halfway. Crazy how much this w7 can handle. Zero clipping so far. The amp is an alpine 1000 watt @2 ohms monoblock.

It's a prefab boss. Like every other 40hz prefab, fart box.
in 20 years i've yet to hear of one "falling apart". if the box gets wet i can certainly see it failing. JL doesn't waterproof the enclosures.

from my calculations, the HO112R-W7 has an internal volume around 2 cu.ft. and a tuning frequency around 34 Hz. the gross volume of the HO112R-W7 is about 5.8 cu. ft. for custom boxes, JL recommends a 36Hz tuning frequency and 1.75 cu. ft. internal volume for an f3 of 33Hz. my calculations do not account for any effects by the chamber-coupled port and i suspect JL engineers did a lot of testing to characterize the effect.

building your own enclosure can allow for lower tuning (below mfr recommendations), ditching the space-hogging chamber-coupled port (losing a coherent output), and allows for custom cosmetics.

the HO enclosure is well-built, well-braced, and optimized for the sub. The wedge shape is ideal acoustically and physically - increasing the surface area of the joints.

HOWedge_Tech.png

what HU? amp crossovers are more predictable. most set the LPF around 80Hz. Subsonic should be around 28Hz for a JL box (most are tuned 30-32Hz IIRC)
the only gain to building a new box would be a lower tuning frequency. the JL boxes are built very well. I have a dual 12W3 HO box sitting in my basement, nearly 13 years old now.
I set my subsonic from 15 to 28 as you stated and backed off my gain a bit and then added to the gain on my 6x9's then adjusted the hz to a higher number for my 6x9s and dude..... it sounds incredible. I also faced the woofer towards the back door and I can say its all made a big difference. I could not reach these volumes with my W6V3. When I tried it would clip and this thing although concerns me it just handles like a charm . My freaking head hurts and all I did was a test drive around the neighborhood for 4 minutes. In regards to your last post , for starters thank you for looking into this as much as you have but I have also researched online all day long at my box and specs as well as reviews and videos and my own personal experience is that this box is a tank. It is so big and heavy and the carpet is thick...this thing is all quality thru and thru. At this current moment I think I am keeping this box. I'm just warming up and it could only get better from here. I just hope I settle for this and dont get the more more bug cause I only had my w6v3 for 8 months and then it hit me to upgrade.

So I'm about 7/8 turned up on my gain and the W7 is 1000 rms at 3ohm and the alpine mrx m100 amp is 1000 rms at 2 ohm which means that the amp is putting out about at 800 rms in theory. Since I'm at about 7/8 of the way up I want to get the full 800 and would like to max. What do you guys think? I've always heard no no but need to hear it from the forum. Alpine spec states that this amp has a 1900 watt capability .

Last edited by a moderator:
So I'm about 7/8 turned up on my gain and the W7 is 1000 rms at 3ohm and the alpine mrx m100 amp is 1000 rms at 2 ohm which means that the amp is putting out about at 800 rms in theory. Since I'm at about 7/8 of the way up I want to get the full 800 and would like to max. What do you guys think? I've always heard no no but need to hear it from the forum. Alpine spec states that this amp has a 1900 watt capability .
That's not how gain works. You have been on here for this long, asked a million questions and you don't know this?

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.