Im new to aero ports, can someone help me with them for a DD 9515

eismanx
10+ year member

I have recently gotten my hands on a DD 9515g d2. I've never had a sub this massive and i've never used aero ports. Im a DIYer to the max, which is why i created this thread. My purposes with this sub is for DAILY "SQL". Im working with either a SAE-1000 or my old MTX 1501d and hope it will run at 1ohm after my BIG 3 upgrade, either one will suffice.

So here's my project. Im building a middle console box for my full size Chevy ext. cab. I've already done one in my old standard cab fullsize with a 2512 d4 with the 1501d on it and it the output was incredible. Im gonna try to get 4 cubes with ports into this thing, that way there will still be leg room in the back. I've always built SLOT port boxes and i will not have room for a slot in this setup. Did some research and found out i could save 50% of port with aero ports. There's no way i want to pay for those massive 6 inch aero ports at $40 a piece.

I can make my own for a lot less, but i know they wont sound as good. Here is my plan as stated in the title. I can make a baffle board and use my router to cut out the size of the 4" pvc pipe i intend on using. Do you guys think 3 4" ports are enough for the 9515? The plan is to cut a 1/4" recess for the outer diameter of the pipe so it can fit into the baffle, and then cut the remaining 1/2" of thickness to inner diameter of pvc so the mdf baffle will be smooth with end of the pvc pipe. Then i would round over the 3/4 thick baffle like the flare on the aero ports. I may even have to double up the baffle to get enough thickness to make a very mellow roundover. I would repeat the same process for the outside of the box where the ports will be placed. I know it wont be as nice as aero ports, but it will be better than having to put a huge slot port in the box. I just bought 2 different circle guides for my router, so i can cut anywhere from 1" to 19". I cant wait to start cuttin beautiful round circles, beats trying to be perfect with a jigsaw.

Any suggestions, input, advice or whatever have you, are all welcome.

If you've read down this far, thanks for bearing with me, i try to be as informative as i can, helps cut down on useless ?'s and forum space

Plenty of guys build their own fluted ports either with wood/router or fiberglass, or whatever they can get their hands on. IF they're the same shape as the expensive ones it'll do the same thing. It's all a matter of if you have more time and creativity or just have the money and want to be done with it. 3 4" ports would be adequate for your job.

buy a single 6" aero...in 4 cubes it will be fine depending on power you give it. i had a 4.5cubic foot box with a single 6" aero and no noise.

the12volt.com
I'd buy a 6 inch aero if i had money to blow on it, but i dont. After buying that 8 from you, and another one from Jacob, plus the $60 I spent for a recone cuz im impatient, and $80 worth of circular router jigs, SAE-1000 amp, and 9515 sub............................ $7 for 60 inches of 4 inch pvc sounded much better to my ears and wallet than $40. Plus i'll take the time to make the flares as close to perfect as possible.

I'll start searching around on 12volt. I dont see anything specific about aero ports. There is a calculator for round ports, but it only lets you enter 1 port. I entered 4.5 cubes at 40hz witha 4 inch port and it gave me 1.7 inches. That doesnt even make sense to me. I entered the same parameters on PSP INC

but with 3 4inch ports and got 12.18 inches for each port. That sounds more like it. What do you think?

I just need to find a really good detailed thread on ports, round and square.

You make a very good point. I just calculated a 6 inch on PSP and got a length of 7.2 inches, but is that enough port for the box size and sub?

2 - 4 inch ports would only need to be 7.5 inches long, but im not sure if thats enough. I've read 20% -50% of cone area for port, does anyone concur.

Ive made my own before out of fiber glass . but unless you just happen to have the stuf layoning around to do it youll spend out more then you would to just buy them out right.

save for it? its only ~40$
Yea but whats to say that 1 6' aero is even enough, i havent gotten a definate answer. The surface area of the opening is 28.26 on a 6 inch port, so 3 4 inch ports would give me 37.68 which would be more, but still not even close to the 80 i need for this sub. I must be in the wrong place for help, or i havent gotten responses from the right people. Im just gonna take a shot in the dark and go with 3 - 4inch ports like HISPLS said. I just cant see how the port volume would be cut IN HALF by using round ports, and PSP's calculator is tellin me to make the ports only 12.2 inches, whereas DD calls for 72 in^ at 19 long

For a single 15" in a daily driver setup, 2 4's would work fine. If you are looking for more output, I would do 3 4's, though they'll have to be considerably longer to maintain a decent tuning frequency.

Yea but whats to say that 1 6' aero is even enough, i havent gotten a definate answer. The surface area of the opening is 28.26 on a 6 inch port, so 3 4 inch ports would give me 37.68 which would be more, but still not even close to the 80 i need for this sub. I must be in the wrong place for help, or i havent gotten responses from the right people. Im just gonna take a shot in the dark and go with 3 - 4inch ports like HISPLS said. I just cant see how the port volume would be cut IN HALF by using round ports, and PSP's calculator is tellin me to make the ports only 12.2 inches, whereas DD calls for 72 in^ at 19 long
Download winISD beta....very simple box calculator program and it shows "vent mach" If the number is red you'll likely get port noise, if it's green you're good to go. I've personally done 3 3" ports in a low tuned 4 cube box with a high excursion 15" with 2KW and had no whistling issues. You can probably get a bit more output with more port area so 4 would be very nice.

Conventional wisdom these days is 12-17" of port area per square foot of box volume. I've got by with less in the past myself and I know round ports reduce noise over slot, and fluted ports even more so.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.