Im looking for a Farad Capacitor any suggestions

rookanga
10+ year member

Senior VIP Member
flint, MI
ok, first I know Farad Capacitor are bad, I would like to run all alternators and batteries, but the vehicle aint mine (I just borrowing it until I can get a new car) and I dont want the lights to dime on it. I have a US Amps Class D Merlin M2D2 Amplifier, 1500 watts, if that helps, but I am looking for a farad capacitor that is powerful, that will will last long, and will do what it is suppose to do, not just last for a couple of days and decide to crap out. If anyone is familiar with farad capacitors, could you guys give me a suggestion on what to get and what not to get

Oh and also would it be better to get a higher capacitor (like a 5 over a 4) instead of a lower one, will it hold more juice or is it for something else

Buy a decent battery instead. Doesn't matter if the car is yours or not...
yeah but the thing is it does have a new battery in it, I just heard caps are used for like a 30 sec extra battery thing, and when the bass aint hitting it is recharging or was I thinking about something different

Buy a decent battery instead. Doesn't matter if the car is yours or not...
this

yeah but the thing is it does have a new battery in it, I just heard caps are used for like a 30 sec extra battery thing, and when the bass aint hitting it is recharging or was I thinking about something different
a battery does the same thing but has a much larger reserve than a cap dollar for dollar.

and the farads are the amount it stores. so larger is more if you insist on getting a cap....

Try an ADDITIONAL battery in the trunk.

Energy(Joules) = Power(Watts) x Time(Seconds). The energy in a 1Farad capacitor = 0.5CV.V = 0.5x1x12x12= 72 Joules

The energy stored in a 1 farrad capacitor would power your amp at about 50 watts for under a second. An electrolytic capacitor IS NOT a battery.

but wouldnt a stock alternator have a very difficult time trying to keep charge for 2 batteries instead of one, and wouldnt it ruin both batteries at the same time

but wouldnt a stock alternator have a very difficult time trying to keep charge for 2 batteries instead of one, and wouldnt it ruin both batteries at the same time
don't try to argue it, just do the battery and stop looking for a cap, that's my suggestion.

it depends on what your stock alt puts out.

its its 100-120a or more you should be fine.

will I have to drill threw the firewall of the vechile (I think thats what it called), to hook up a second battery?
How did you intend to run power to your amp? Hopefully by running some heavy guage wire through the firewall right?

How much strain you put on your alternator is entirely dependent on your listening habits. With normal music I've run quite a bit of power off of stock alternator and 1 additional battery with fine results in many installs over the last 15 years.

As far as charging 2 batteries, yeah it's optimum to have a high output alternator, but the fact remains a battery will power your amp for hours at 50 watts and a capacitor will power it for half a second.

There's a reason all the big show cars have banks of batteries and not banks of capacitors.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.