I'm inFInitely Baffled.

Sure why not. I'd choose different subs though. and a different box. and a different brain.

Anyhow. In a car, technically, you can't have an infinite baffle.. unless your car is coupled to the ground it's parked on.

Some call this type of setup: Trunk Baffle.
Therefore, the title for this thread sux.

Many would argue that allowing air to escape would be beneficial since it brings the alignment closer to a "true" infinite baffle setup rather than just a very large sealed box. I do believe Scott Buwalda (or someone of the sort) went so far as to cut a hole in the bottom of their trunk and covered it with gortex to intentially allow air to pass to the outside of the vehicle. And most who go IB are fond of trunk vents for this reason aswell.
To me, if you completely seal your trunk, it's not an "infinite baffle", just a big sealed enclosure.

Now, what difference that makes in SPL or SQ, I do not know.

I use the term IB because it sounds better than trunk baffle, also because so the kiddies can understand. Maybe I shouldn't have dumbed it down.

I've learned in child psych that you shouldn't do baby-talk to newborns... unless you want them to grow up speaking like that.

James I only went hog wild on it cuz it seems like CA.com peeps...really could do some learning instead of just pounding. Your thread has so many perfect examples of where to start that I couldn't help myself. Though I don'tthink sealing the trunk off prevents the IB title, I just wanted to play around with meanings and perhaps let phrases like "baffle step compensation" start to mill around in some yungins minds then we can get cracking:D

any post made after 1600 is on a crappy typo ridden keyboard...so there:

James I only went hog wild on it cuz it seems like CA.com peeps...really could do some learning instead of just pounding. Your thread has so many perfect examples of where to start that I couldn't help myself. Though I don'tthink sealing the trunk off prevents the IB title, I just wanted to play around with meanings and perhaps let phrases like "baffle step compensation" start to mill around in some yungins minds then we can get cracking:D

any post made after 1600 is on a crappy typo ridden keyboard...so there:
None of the stuff in here is copyrighted or trademarked, so feel free to hack away like I did. It would be better if you're close enough to take a listen and hear how shitty it is.

look familiar Ramos :p
We had the diyma meet at your team mates house.

IMG_6572.jpg

Fooseman's new mustang. Haven't got a chance to hear it in person yet though //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

I gave a little thought into this last night (imsomniac) and had a decent question.

Would we want to CANCEL the sound in the trunk? Think about it. Egg crate or something covering all of the trunk that can act as difraction for all of the rear waves in an attempt not to isolate or deaden (which may be a healthy bonus) but for canceling.

This runs into theone issue which is still fixed by an increased surface area is a loss in cabin gain...perhaps. Does my question make sense?

For it tobe truly "infinite baffle" it isa complete seperation of front and rear waves. The only way to remove the sound in the trunk is by filters, barriers, but also with a deflex theory of angular surfaces like what you'd find in recording studios.

Just a theory.

you'd need some huge pieces of foam for subbass...
so you'd have to get the king sized egg crate. Can you paint egg crate? In the trunk I don't see a need in worrying with water absorption so an egg crate mattress would be fine, I'd think.

What about a temporary strap up test? Maybe an eggcrate on the floor underneath the sub, floded up as best you can...just a thought.

for open cell foam you would be looking at a foot to a foot and a half thick for ""subbass"
not isolation but canceling.

wave diffraction and canceling. He's already isolated as best as he intends to. Using the foam to diffract, simply as a means of extending the baffle step...whatever the F that means:) still learning this stuff:D

my tires were extra costly because they had ridges on the inside made to cancel reflective sound waves. That's what made me think of this. In this rare circumstance, we want to cancel the bass because the sound waves in the rear that inner-mingle prevent a true IB effect.

I gave a little thought into this last night (imsomniac) and had a decent question.
Would we want to CANCEL the sound in the trunk? Think about it. Egg crate or something covering all of the trunk that can act as difraction for all of the rear waves in an attempt not to isolate or deaden (which may be a healthy bonus) but for canceling.

This runs into theone issue which is still fixed by an increased surface area is a loss in cabin gain...perhaps. Does my question make sense?

For it tobe truly "infinite baffle" it isa complete seperation of front and rear waves. The only way to remove the sound in the trunk is by filters, barriers, but also with a deflex theory of angular surfaces like what you'd find in recording studios.

Just a theory.
see below

you'd need some huge pieces of foam for subbass...

with wave lengths 10' plus, might as well fill the trunk with polyfill and try and slow it down. Foam needed would probably fill the trunk anyway. Seems to me it would be easier to somehow "open" the trunk to the outside world //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

not isolation but canceling.
wave diffraction and canceling. He's already isolated as best as he intends to. Using the foam to diffract, simply as a means of extending the baffle step...whatever the F that means:) still learning this stuff:D

my tires were extra costly because they had ridges on the inside made to cancel reflective sound waves. That's what made me think of this. In this rare circumstance, we want to cancel the bass because the sound waves in the rear that inner-mingle prevent a true IB effect.

The foam would need to be 20" or so before any sort of absorption would benefit at those wave lengths. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

About this thread

James Bang

5,000+ posts
Hand/Ear Coordination
James Bang
^
Start date
Participants
Who Replied
Replies
Views
Last reply date