I'm inFInitely Baffled.

James Bang
5,000+ posts

Hand/Ear Coordination
^
After checking around my trunk and rear deck, I finally figured out a way to seal off my trunk from the cabin. I've always wondered how an infinite baffle (trunk baffle) install sounds like. I've never even seen one in person before.

So then I went on to Home Depot and picked up some supplies:

3/4" birch 2"x4"

expanding foam

some cheapo wanna-be deadener.

and misc. hardware... nuts, bolts, screws, & washers.

All of these products will aid in covering and sealing all the holes and gaps in the rear deck.... and there were plenty of freaking holes back there.

anyhow. off to the pics.

here's an old pic of the rear when i first deadened it

IMG_1562.jpg

many hoes

IMG_1699.jpg

IMG_1701.jpg

I had to reroute some wires so they'd be out of the way and out of the middle section, which is where the birch baffle for the sub will be.

IMG_1710.jpg

IMG_1712.jpg

IMG_1711.jpg

i am not a fan of infinite baffles...
but never heard one either...

good luck sealing all that up... looks like you have a good start already though...
I decided to finally go infinite baffle because ID recommends it and I've heard many great things about it. Since i have an iDmax,... why not..

I pretty much got everything all sealed up already, but i need to take more pictures.

this sealing every took me 2 days so far and a lot of thinking/planning before that.

covering the big holes and gaps took up the most time. I wanted to make them as sturdy and air-tight as possible.

for the 6x9 holes, I took a 1/4" handy panel and screwed it over the hole w/ a lot of this liquid nails type of adhesive to help w/ sealing

IMG_1714.jpg

IMG_1713.jpg

It sounds pretty da.mn nice. I have no regrets ditching my 2.7cuft @ 28hz and putting in all this work for this.

The sub doesn't move as much as I thought it would. It's pretty odd to me. Lots of bass is being created with sooo less cone movement. The sound is much more musical as Eric Stevens told me it would, which is also another reason why I wanted to go infinite baffle. He also told me that the output will be significantly lower w/ IB, but I am quite satisfied w/ the output. maybe i'm getting better cabin gain //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/confused.gif.e820e0216602db4765798ac39d28caa9.gif

moving along:

more 1/4" panels and deadener to cover openings.

IMG_1718.jpg

please pretend you don't see all that crappy wiring. All of that will be changed once I come up w/ a design for the trunk.

IMG_1717.jpg

6x9 undershot which show many more hoes/openings to the cabin.

IMG_1716.jpg

supposedly, not all subs will do well w/ IB. also, i would assume it wouldn't work for you based on your sn alone. It probably wouldn't put up some high numbers.

supposedly, not all subs will do well w/ IB. also, i would assume it wouldn't work for you based on your sn alone. It probably wouldn't put up some high numbers.
lol... i can like a decent daily that is more sq oriented...

high #'s aren't everything...

yes i have heard that with some subs (eg Fi's) they have to customize the subs a bit for IB use.

sq is what i'm trying to strive for. I'm too impatient for the nice looking install part...

I was a little skeptic about posting this here because many of the members here are flat out bassheads. but oh well.

sq is what i'm trying to strive for. I'm too impatient for the nice looking install part...

I was a little skeptic about posting this here because many of the members here are flat out bassheads. but oh well.
I love a solid SQ setup as well...

i guess i fit your stereotype... //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/tongue.gif.6130eb82179565f6db8d26d6001dcd24.gif

i would personally give it all the time it needed to make as clean as possible install... esp for a sq setup...

but it looks like it is on it's way to being pretty good looking

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

About this thread

James Bang

5,000+ posts
Hand/Ear Coordination
James Bang
^
Start date
Participants
Who Replied
Replies
Views
Last reply date