If I didn't like sundown sa what else can I try need suggestions......

I hear lots of good things about 8s in general. Not sure why but anyone who talk about their 8s that they have or have had say they are impressive. I hear guys with 15s saying them miss their 8s. Math is fun and my job, so I wanna take my shot at building my own box and doing my own math to formulate a box for the sound I'm looking for, which is more along the lines of rock/metal. I'm open to any and all suggestions, I've tried starting a thread a few time about building a box, but it was the same old "bigger box, bigger port" and I don't agree on the bigger box for what I'm looking at, at least not bigger chamber.
A beastly double bass is a must. My first experience with subs was listening to All That Remains - Six with my moms home theater system. Seeing the woofer move to the kick was phenomenal to my young mind.
yeah 8s are great... the amount of sound they produce from such a tiny lil cute sub is amazing lol... everyone always says what you got in there 12s... lol then i pop the trunk like nope these lil babys... lol

yeah 8s are great... the amount of sound they produce from such a tiny lil cute sub is amazing lol... everyone always says what you got in there 12s... lol then i pop the trunk like nope these lil babys... lol
People don't know poop. I get asked all the time if my 10s are 15s. Probably because it looks like my car is trying to transform //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/eek.gif.771b7a90cf45cabdc554ff1121c21c4a.gif

I been messing around all day. First thing I have no port noise at all its actually awesome. Second I tried polyfill I added roughly 1/3 pound to start with and there is no questions is smoothed the peaks which is needed badly seeing is its 44hz tuned. sothis got me closer its still not there. If I had to guess I would probably like it tuned at 38-39hz with 1.25 space and a massive port like this one. that would be a bit more airspace and a lower tune than what I have now I feel like thats what im missing out on but don't know for sure. In theory does the polyfill (technically) lower the tune maybe from 44-42? just trying to gauge where the tune I would like is I know for sure its not 35 or 44 lol but this is for sure closer. Im not giving up on this sub yet idk just cant until I tried everything!!!
i hope ur building ur self or the funds are gonna add up quick... im not a fan of poly fill... feel like its used to compensate a poorly matched box/sub setup.... ur tuning is going to be very high from ur post... im more of a 28hz-32hz kinda guy... even in the sq ride its tuned to 31hz... and hits every note beautifully... if im gonna run over 36hz ill just use a sealed box... lol

I been messing around all day. First thing I have no port noise at all its actually awesome. Second I tried polyfill I added roughly 1/3 pound to start with and there is no questions is smoothed the peaks which is needed badly seeing is its 44hz tuned. sothis got me closer its still not there. If I had to guess I would probably like it tuned at 38-39hz with 1.25 space and a massive port like this one. that would be a bit more airspace and a lower tune than what I have now I feel like thats what im missing out on but don't know for sure. In theory does the polyfill (technically) lower the tune maybe from 44-42? just trying to gauge where the tune I would like is I know for sure its not 35 or 44 lol but this is for sure closer. Im not giving up on this sub yet idk just cant until I tried everything!!!
I dug this up too:

Steve your right. Strategically placed panels of a dampening material will help offset the backwave of the sub thus helping with music coloration. Ideally the material will help keep the backwave from coming through the cone material of the sub. This will cause cancellation/coloration problems in your music. I use limited amounts of bracing not a lot so as not to affect internal flows and I add a dampening material IE-wool carpet pad, pink insulation, thin sheathed fiberglass matting(ends sealed) and even thin commercial berber carpet like used in office buildings works quite well. No need to cover the ports or such but a panel directly opposite of the magnet and all surrounding walls, keep material away from port opening. I also get rid off all internal corner by using great stuff, spray in corner use a plastis 1" scraper and shape flat while packing it in. Let dry and use a thin resin on it, not only does it not allow standing waves to build the foam material helps absorb them. Most peeps use resin for this but while it may aid in flow and reducing the standing wave effect it also provides another reflecting surface, just anothere problem when trying to dampen. Polo.. :)
Through everything I'm gathering, I don't think this will actually effect your tuning, not to the point that it is noticeable. I'm more than willing to be proven wrong though :)

i hope ur building ur self or the funds are gonna add up quick... im not a fan of poly fill... feel like its used to compensate a poorly matched box/sub setup.... ur tuning is going to be very high from ur post... im more of a 28hz-32hz kinda guy... even in the sq ride its tuned to 31hz... and hits every note beautifully... if im gonna run over 36hz ill just use a sealed box... lol
For sure, always build a box. As far as sealed goes.... WinISD says those subs don't like sealed boxes. But sundowns are commonly tuned much lower than the 38-42 he is looking at. I don't like sealed at all, So I probably wouldn't do that. But he is looking for "punchy" which is in the higher Hz, correct? I had ran some #s and he really liked his Polk, and this box, according to WinISD, will give him a flat response and comparable sound to his Polk.

Port = 12 X 3 X 84.38Tuned to 38 Hz

Chamber Volume = .75ft^3
I think this was on page 3 along with the graphs.

For sure, always build a box. As far as sealed goes.... WinISD says those subs don't like sealed boxes. But sundowns are commonly tuned much lower than the 38-42 he is looking at. I don't like sealed at all, So I probably wouldn't do that. But he is looking for "punchy" which is in the higher Hz, correct? I had ran some #s and he really liked his Polk, and this box, according to WinISD, will give him a flat response and comparable sound to his Polk.

I think this was on page 3 along with the graphs.
depends on the box.. the 8s are tuned to 31hz ported and punchy as hell ... higher hz louder... lower hz deeper...

38hz wouldnt be too bad... 40s is dumb high though lol

I might do this I know its not as beefy and sundown but the freq response is good and it would be a box built to exact specs................http://www.kicker.com/40VCWR122

or this in a custom box.................http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_14748_Polk-Audio-MM1240.html

Last edited by a moderator:
Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.