If I didn't like sundown sa what else can I try need suggestions......

Jacob the last thing I want is boomy. Maybe im making the mistake of using a ported box? Maybe a sealed before I give up. The two things you say I want is insane DISTORTION, BOOMY lol I avoid that. The polk I said I liked was neither of thoseand it had much more linear movement. Im assuming it was you who sent me the box specs to copy which I didn't like. I didn't want this to become a war on sundown which Is why I kept apologizing and saying I don't mean disrespect. I think in this world not just with speakers with anything we all see hear feel differently. Maybe to most sundown is clean tight accurate fast crisp etc etc but others might not feel that way. To each their own. Im not trying to knock you or your fans Im really not. But to say I want distortion and boomy bass is literally the opposite of what im looking for.
If you don't like it you don't like it. You won't be the only one.

Some people listen to music not listen to salesman and fanboys.

I don't think you posted it here, what are the specs of the box you have liked the most with this Sundown?
Also, If you can get specs for what box you were using with the Polk I can put together a chart on WinISD to see what the major differences in Hz are of the 2 and maybe help guide you down the right path for box to get the sound your looking for out of the Sundown so you don't have to buy a new speaker, just $40-60 on material to build a box.

Also, speaker sizes would be nice too. I seen that you said you were using the SA-10. Have all the woofers been 10s? Also, 4 ohm or 2ohm. Really, full speaker names will work best, such as Sundown SA-10D2 or Sundown SA-10D4, and the same for the other two woofers you have had experience with.

For box specs I need:

Volume, ft^3 is best

Port tuning

Port W and H

if you have that, if not I'll work with what I can. I'll post you a chart with your frequency response and all that.
sundown is a sa-10d4. the polk was a 10 its what transitioned me over to a 10 inch. I was always a 12 fan at heart and occasional 15. the polk was called mm1040. other few I liked were nvx vcw104 and vcw 1504, never really liked re audio also felt it was un musical. and here is a link to the prefab that in my opinion sounded the best I think if it was tuned a tad lower I would have been content it has a huge port and port length just a little peaky for me which at those peaky points sounded bad. dimensions are(10" - 18.0"W x 13.50"H x 15.0"D 1.35 cu ft Air Space Tuning - 42 Hz) and the link is here, Economy Power Port VENTED Single Hatchback - RT Boxes - RTBoxes Subwoofer Enclosures

also with that box if it helps it sounded absolute best with all of (Andy C Nightlife) it sounded good with all those songs any of them incase that helps.

sundown is a sa-10d4. the polk was a 10 its what transitioned me over to a 10 inch. I was always a 12 fan at heart and occasional 15. the polk was called mm1040. other few I liked were nvx vcw104 and vcw 1504, never really liked re audio also felt it was un musical. and here is a link to the prefab that in my opinion sounded the best I think if it was tuned a tad lower I would have been content it has a huge port and port length just a little peaky for me which at those peaky points sounded bad. dimensions are(10" - 18.0"W x 13.50"H x 15.0"D 1.35 cu ft Air Space Tuning - 42 Hz) and the link is here, Economy Power Port VENTED Single Hatchback - RT Boxes - RTBoxes Subwoofer Enclosures
also with that box if it helps it sounded absolute best with all of (Andy C Nightlife) it sounded good with all those songs any of them incase that helps.
Is that what sounded best with the Polk? or the Sundown? or both? I'm working through it now.

also, how wide would you say your port is? Looks like about an inch?

Jacob the last thing I want is boomy. Maybe im making the mistake of using a ported box? Maybe a sealed before I give up. The two things you say I want is insane DISTORTION, BOOMY lol I avoid that. The polk I said I liked was neither of thoseand it had much more linear movement. Im assuming it was you who sent me the box specs to copy which I didn't like. I didn't want this to become a war on sundown which Is why I kept apologizing and saying I don't mean disrespect. I think in this world not just with speakers with anything we all see hear feel differently. Maybe to most sundown is clean tight accurate fast crisp etc etc but others might not feel that way. To each their own. Im not trying to knock you or your fans Im really not. But to say I want distortion and boomy bass is literally the opposite of what im looking for.[
Build the proper box and u will love the sundown.

I really really really doubt your going to want sealed after seeing this. I went ahead and used the Polk and prefab box as a starting ground to try and best match those specs. Below are a few charts that will show you about how things are going to perform. I went ahead and estimated the port size of the Prefab at 12" X 2", seemed to match the pic best from what I could tell, I think the main difference here is going to be port noise. If you have a smaller port area, your port noise will be more apparent.

Also, I have issues posting picture here, so a the title will also be a link to the pic.

Key:

Orange - Polk Audio in prefab box

Red - Sundown in recommended box per Sundown webpage

Yellow - Sundown in recommended sealed box

Green - Recommended Sundown compared to the Polk Audio in Prefab box.

Transfer Function Magnitude

TUEoVqs8URU4dZArAOpAQCHpc00PTQy_qESMnsesWUc

SPL

yQ4wSMXbyTGiBw2XBZopahgBjjqSjzUwNds7EXyNsvQ

Port Air Velocity

jhdMQGAueFSu6eRnuH4a0ejaQBg-T98j3YDulZa111w

My box specs for the Sundown to best match your Polk Audio is:

Volume: 1.00 FT^3

Tuning: 42 Hz

Vent Area: 36in^2

Vent Length: 49.82 in

I'm not sure how these woofers sound at the higher frequencies, it sound like folks like to run these at low low low frequencies. I'm a 30HP-80LP for the crossovers kinda guy.

I think your next try should be to build something like that, It'd give you the closes thing to what you had, if you don't like it you don't like it. I think your issue right now is the peaking at lower frequencies, it was very apparent the difference between the 2 when using WinISD.

Did you try your Sundown in the Prefab for the Polk? It looks like it'll give you a hefty spike in the 43Hz range, but should be louder at all frequencies. Your response isn't quite as flat as the box I recommended, and you'll get quite a bit of port noise as well compared to the Polk and the box I recommended.

Did you try your Sundown in the Prefab for the Polk? It looks like it'll give you a hefty spike in the 43Hz range, but should be louder at all frequencies. Your response isn't quite as flat as the box I recommended, and you'll get quite a bit of port noise as well compared to the Polk and the box I recommended.
First of all thank you for doing that second the polk was in a ported tuned to 39hz. the port of the enclosure link is 12.5x2 and has no port noise at all. i just threw the sundown back in it still sounds the best of all to me. can I try adding a tiny bit of polyfill to smooth out the peaykness maybe it will drop the tune a tiny bit? before having another custom made? sounds like I want a tune between 37-40 from all ive gathered I deff hated the 35 and 36 It was to boomy when it dropped. One of the guys on here had suggested since I only use dubstep to stay under 1.25 cubic feet and do 38hz im starting to think he knew what he was talking about with the higher tune smaller enclosure because the polk was in a .87 cubic foot ported tuned to 39hz. its in my fiances car now sounds amazing.

[quote name='ccapital83']First of all thank you for doing that second the polk was in a ported tuned to 39hz. the port of the enclosure link is 12.5x2 and has no port noise at all. i just threw the sundown back in it still sounds the best of all to me. can I try adding a tiny bit of polyfill to smooth out the peaykness maybe it will drop the tune a tiny bit? before having another custom made? sounds like I want a tune between 37-40 from all ive gathered I deff hated the 35 and 36 It was to boomy when it dropped. One of the guys on here had suggested since I only use dubstep to stay under 1.25 cubic feet and do 38hz im starting to think he knew what he was talking about with the higher tune smaller enclosure because the polk was in a .87 cubic foot ported tuned to 39hz. its in my fiances car now sounds amazing.[/QUOTE]

I don't think Polyfill is going to work for what you desire. The idea behind polyfill is to make your box sound bigger. I don't think it eliminates the "boomy" sound either.

The guy recommending the smaller box volume and high tuning is right. That doesn't mean you end up with a small box however. I did some more playing with the Sundown, and it looks like .75 FT^3 tuned to 38Hz with a port size of 12X3 ( @Jeffdachef can you let me know if the Sundowns wants a port area that large or should it be more to the 24-30in^2?) is going to give you your flattest response, but still not as flat as the Polk. For that box however, you'll still looking at 13.5H X 31.5L X 13.5D. Port volume is 1.75 ft^3 which should kill any and all port noise.

Orange - Wifes current box (port isn't accurate, but it shouldn't change these ratings much)
Yellow - Your current box with the Sundown
Green - My recommended box for flatter response. Massive box despite a low chamber volume, just keep that in mind.
Box specs:
13.5 tall
31.5 long
13.5 deep
Port = 12 X 3 X 84.38
Tuned to 38 Hz
Chamber Volume = .75ft^3

Transfer Function Magnitude
miyY50VRQLH2Vg-ltvumiNsK0maGsueEYBtC8YrLjNc

SPL
fHNe1ed91vBMUJk56pPOg19zzrpiokXjPeGybmL4sOY

In the end, your not really gaining much with the Sundown. You can try the polyfill, and please let me know how that goes, I've been considering that too with my prefab to cut down some port noise. Also, take what I say with a grain of salt. I'm a pretty smart guy, or at least I like to think so, and pick up on things quickly, but I'm also very new to this. I only did my first build at the beginning of the year and have been here and a few other forums soaking in all the knowledge I can.

If of any interest...I have a near mint old Kicker L5= 10" DVC 2 ohm sub that may be what you are looking for of the HTZ area you are seeking? Just PM me your #,and I can take some fresh pics for you...I also have a pair of DVC4 ohm Dayton 10s sitting if interested? Just let me know..Thanks

If you don't like it you don't like it. You won't be the only one. Some people listen to music not listen to salesman and fanboys.
Right, I didn't care for my SD 8's. I had 3 of them with 1200 watts and they sounded too peaky for my tastes. They did deepen a bit after they broke in but overall I didn't care for them nor their output. Perhaps for an 8 inch in a .25ft3 chamber, maybe that is an impressive feat of engineering I guess? But a single $150 12" sub I had with less power did better for hardly any more space than all 3 of those used...plus the surrounds on those SD's are huge adding a good inch of space outside of the box. I was always afraid of bumping something into it when I packed the trunk, so effectively made the entire space of the sub and box a bit bigger than it originally seemed.

Then I finally said to heck with saving space and got a 12 inch in a ported. It's not so bad, I may find another use for those 8 inchers some day. One thing I do notice is that when it comes to subs or speakers that someone buys, they always give it high marks. I don't even give the highest marks to my W6 JL sub despite the cost, perhaps likely because everyone likes a specific sort of sound and others have no clue what they really like due to lack of experience.

One of my favorite subs is actually a 12 inch Infinity Reference...no clue why, it was just very musical to me, I probably should get it again someday.

If your after SQ, then sealed might be the option. OR.....a very well tuned ported enclosure that some one on here can do such as @CSCStang. Most people tune around the 30's. I wouldn't go above 35Hz. Some like 30 and below.....it just depends what kind of music the person listens to.

I just can't believe a person doesn't like the SA series.

[quote name='boomintahoe']If your after SQ, then sealed might be the option. OR.....a very well tuned ported enclosure that some one on here can do such as @CSCStang. Most people tune around the 30's. I wouldn't go above 35Hz. Some like 30 and below.....it just depends what kind of music the person listens to.

I just can't believe a person doesn't like the SA series.[/QUOTE]

i know i expected that reaction trust me i was prepared for you to feel that way when you read this post ive spent the last 2 weeks trying everything especially today i still cant get it even close to what I like im tryn hard man i really am trying everything to like it but its just not happening. maybe its just this 10 maybe something is wrong with it we neve even considered that as an option but who knowes. im about to give up and try a 12.

i know i expected that reaction trust me i was prepared for you to feel that way when you read this post ive spent the last 2 weeks trying everything especially today i still cant get it even close to what I like im tryn hard man i really am trying everything to like it but its just not happening. maybe its just this 10 maybe something is wrong with it we neve even considered that as an option but who knowes. im about to give up and try a 12.
If you know what you like and what you like it in, pick up another polk momo. I say let CSCStang just build you a box for whatever you pick up, he'll tailor it to whatever music taste you like.

If you know what you like and what you like it in, pick up another polk momo. I say let CSCStang just build you a box for whatever you pick up, he'll tailor it to whatever music taste you like.
cscstang is the one who told me to go with a higher tune for my music taste he might be the nicest person ive ever talked to //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif . another point I forgot to mention is this thing is barely used maybe 4 hours on it. I'm going to try throwing it on a 30hz free air for a little while mess with amp setting one last time. if that doesn't do it i cant believe it but i might get this, KICKER | 12" CompR Loaded Enclosure

never thought id see the day id go back to Stillwater but they do have a very wide freq range and its tuned exactly to what cscstang suggested and its a 12. I considered going back to the polk but I'd want to try and find a SR if I did.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.