Ideas for strengthening door panels?

Kangaroux
5,000+ posts

I put on
Maine
My door panels flex more than I'd like them to, plus they just don't feel all that strong. Not sure how I want to go bout strengthening it. Was thinking I could just put a ton of spray foam that hardens up on the inside of it for strength, plus it would be a good barrier for sound too (lot of sound come my mids/highs leaks out my front doors). Other option I was considering was to put some fiberglass resin on it, most likely combining it with fiberglass mat.

Assuming you're talking about the outer door skin then slap some CLD tiles on there. Foam will do nothing to add strength and fg/resin on a large flat panel won't do much either.

inside of the door panels?? how about just plain jane 1/2-3/8 plywood,coated with bedliner spray/seal it/paint it black???????sound deaden/stop the flexing/kill out the road noise/beef up the door/and water proof?? cheap to do,and easy to mount/and no real carpenter/modifying skills needed??????? just a suggestion,and i wouldnt use mdf.i did a 78 chevy truck that way..put existing panels back on..never had an issue

Weld braces
This is really the right answer. If you don't want to weld and paint, glue aluminum channels in. Vibration damper isn't a good stiffener. Fiberglass might help but will be hard as hell to do inside a door. if you do that, make sure resin doesn't run into the drains. Also be aware that many of these things are going to make future body work a lot more complicated.

Expanding foam need to be between two surfaces to strengthen. It doesn't really block or absorb sound in the configuration you are describing.

Yeah, they move a lot on the lows. Enough to hurt your knees from them slapping your legs lol
Are they made of plastic and attached to the door inner skin with clips? Are you saying they are moving independently of the inner skin?

Yeah, they move a lot on the lows. Enough to hurt your knees from them slapping your legs lol
Just noticed your location. Are you sure your knee isn't hitting the panel because you're shivering? My brother lives on the water outside of Brunswick. Spent a week there one winter. Not doing that again. Beautiful during the summer but I'm guessing the shivering lasts about 6 month after the weather warms up.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.