Icon 12" Ported Box

Participant count
  • Participant list

agcelica

NW
Okay... starting over again after all the Gcon talk. Couldn't resist the value of the Icon. So the Icon 12" is on its way and I have decided to build 2 boxes. 1 will be a 1 ft^3 sealed box with front double baffle, while the other will be a ported box tuned between 35 and 25 of a TBD volume. Chances are I will probably keep it similar to the pre designed enclosures that SSA has on the product page for the Icon. I have made plenty of sealed boxes before but have never built and heard a truly well built ported box so I am looking forward to the build. But a couple questions first for the current Icon users out their. I listen to all music; I can leave the drive way listening to Five finger death punch, get to work listening to Garth Brooks, leave work listening to eminem, and get home listening to Awolnation. It's weird I know. I am willing to try the ported box, but I am worried about 2 things. Fast response, and higher notes (lets say 60-80hz, the Hd 62's seem to lack a little there and the M6's free air don't quite pick it up enough so I am hoping that the sub can pick it up just a tad). So you Icon guys what size and tune do you run and how do SSA's pre designed box sizes work out?

Thanks guys,

Austin

Last edited by a moderator:
Just to clarify I don't mean pre built enclosures, I mean that SSA just has some free designs for the Icon. They have a 1.9 ft^3 at 30hz as a small enclosure and a 2.5 ft^3 at 30 hz as a optimal enclosure. Realized people might think "pre designed" meant one of those "universal 12" enclosures.

Just to clarify I don't mean pre built enclosures, I mean that SSA just has some free designs for the Icon. They have a 1.9 ft^3 at 30hz as a small enclosure and a 2.5 ft^3 at 30 hz as a optimal enclosure. Realized people might think "pre designed" meant one of those "universal 12" enclosures.
i would do the optimal enclosure anywhere from 30-34hz

I think a lot of the port tune has to do with car response. I had my xcons tuned to 34 for a while then dropped it down to 27 and I love the way they sound better then at 34. Like you, I do listen to everything from classical to metal and it performs good enough for me. I would say to try the port without gluing it in first and see how it sounds(I used painters caulk). That way it would be easier to change lengths.

That is an awesome idea whiteyota, I never would have thought of the painter caulk idea.

So what did you think of the sound overall when it was tuned at 34? I know they are different subs but too peaky?

Yeah Jeff, I have been reading that a lot on the SSA forums, seems most are between 30-35 like you said with not too many below 30. If I tune too low and actually lose output I fell that it will still be a tad louder than sealed, but not worth the extra work opposed to tuning at 30 or a tad above.

I have a feeling this may take a couple of attempts to get the ported right

Yeah Jeff, I have been reading that a lot on the SSA forums, seems most are between 30-35 like you said with not too many below 30. If I tune too low and actually lose output I fell that it will still be a tad louder than sealed, but not worth the extra work opposed to tuning at 30 or a tad above. I have a feeling this may take a couple of attempts to get the ported right
I'd go with an aero port to be honest. Easiest to tune and retune.

That is an awesome idea whiteyota, I never would have thought of the painter caulk idea. So what did you think of the sound overall when it was tuned at 34? I know they are different subs but too peaky?
It sounded to me like it was missing output in places and peaky in others. I am not sure if it is because my box is on the small size of what is recommended for these 2 18's or if it is the cabin space of a van.

As far as losing output, I dont think it did, but I also have not put a RTA on it. Alt first then RTA setup lol.

I do like slots for the added structure bracing but I will draw an aero port box in sketch up at 2 ft^3 and I will just order enough pipe to make 4 lengths of pipe for 28, 30, and 32 maybe a 34 and post up some pics when I am done to see what you guys think.

Gary, if you don't mind me asking, how did it do on notes above 50hz?

i have an icon 15" ported 3.5net tuned to 33.5, 2 4" aero ports lil over 7in" per cube which is on the small side of port area

pretty much everything thats been played in my car it sounds good.. gets low with out any problems for being tuned to 33.4

have another design with more air space and more port area, when i get some free time im going to build that and go from there.. im sure it will be louder than what i have now

Well I have been messing around with the aeroports, 1 4" isnt enough port area and the 6" might be to big as far as area and length in the box, so I went with 2 4" to try and move them around but they are proving to be quite long for such a small box. The line in the bottom is how long 1 of them will be for 30 hz in 2 ft^3. They both will not fit on the same side because of 7" diameter flares so they might end up being offset on each side, 1 above the other. Only had a little time after work today, I will keep working on it tomorrow. Any suggestions so far?

View attachment 26552945

Well... I guess I finished it? It seems like the bracing on the ports might not be a great idea like that. Do you guys think that I can get away with maybe 1 4" port instead of 2 at 2 ft^3? It seems like the port air velocity is high with only 1 but as it sits with 2 there is only 1/4" between the back of the sub and the ports. Give me your thoughts on this one, I am swimming in deeper water than I imagined.View attachment 26552946View attachment 26552947

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.