IA 20.1 running at 2 or 1ohm ?

20.1 at .5 ohm should be driving that sub to it's limits. Something is wrong here I think.
Yes,what kind of difference of output if m'y HU put out 2 volts and other 5 volts,I see à small box that can adjust the rca output on YouTube but I don't know what is it and the name of this small box??

Yes,what kind of difference of output if m'y HU put out 2 volts and other 5 volts,I see à small box that can adjust the rca output on YouTube but I don't know what is it and the name of this small box??
I'd think that 20.1 should have plenty of gain that even 2V should be fine.

What you're talking about is a "line driver". I do not know who currently makes anything that's cost effective.

I'd think that 20.1 should have plenty of gain that even 2V should be fine.
What you're talking about is a "line driver". I do not know who currently makes anything that's cost effective.
I don't Know what is this thing��

If 2v is ok the problem is the 20.1,I think I will try to find a good old zr1000,I never have good result with modern stuff,this 20.1 is supposed to destroye the ssd and I think is a perfect match with bass boost and gain at max,also I put the sub at 5 or 7 on the HU,if the clipping light don't flash=no bass,if don't work on m'y set up today but tomorow I will do!

I don't Know what is this thing��If 2v is ok the problem is the 20.1,I think I will try to find a good old zr1000,I never have good result with modern stuff,this 20.1 is supposed to destroye the ssd and I think is a perfect match with bass boost and gain at max,also I put the sub at 5 or 7 on the HU,if the clipping light don't flash=no bass,if don't work on m'y set up today but tomorow I will do!

Bass boost is a VERY BAD IDEA. You might need to use +5 or +7 on the head unit "subwoofer level" or use close to max volume on the head unit.

Can we see a picture of the settings on your amp?

I don't Know what is this thing��If 2v is ok the problem is the 20.1,I think I will try to find a good old zr1000,I never have good result with modern stuff,this 20.1 is supposed to destroye the ssd and I think is a perfect match with bass boost and gain at max,also I put the sub at 5 or 7 on the HU,if the clipping light don't flash=no bass,if don't work on m'y set up today but tomorow I will do!
Problem's not the 20.1 Its how you are running your setup. Do those tests along with measuring voltage drops right at the amp terminal and we can move on the troubleshooting from there. Everyone else has ZERO problems getting more than enough output out of a 20.1 as long as its supplied properly.

Also head unit volume 85% of max, sub level max. Bass boost and loudness off, EQ flat on the lower frequencies 80hz and under. What are you using to play the music and what head unit is this? What brand of wire are you using for power wire?

I put m'y gain and bass boost at max to obtain the same bass than m'y old zr360,Yes its crazy!
One 6 volts is 225ah so 900ah for 4x6volts ÷2 =450ah at 12 volts,in boat we ran 6 volts over group 31 deep cycle for better long term power,with m'y zr the 6 volts give me better result than group 31,m'y test is at 14 volts.

I have a old kenwood HU and I think maybe low rca voltage(3.2v with music) and I think m'y HU clipping the signal because at the same time I install à IA3.4 and it clip also at hight volume with hp filter on??

Thank's guys I will retry all that today with à good pioneer deck !
Are those batts wired in series? Where did you measure your voltage? What was the drop on the heaviest bass hits?

Problem's not the 20.1 Its how you are running your setup. Do those tests along with measuring voltage drops right at the amp terminal and we can move on the troubleshooting from there. Everyone else has ZERO problems getting more than enough output out of a 20.1 as long as its supplied properly.

Also head unit volume 85% of max, sub level max. Bass boost and loudness off, EQ flat on the lower frequencies 80hz and under. What are you using to play the music and what head unit is this? What brand of wire are you using for power wire?

Are those batts wired in series? Where did you measure your voltage? What was the drop on the heaviest bass hits?
I made your new ajustement and they work but my clipping light flash and noise Come of the sub at the same time,m'y voltage at no volume is 14.3 and with volume at 28 out of 35 the lowest I see is 12.3 with any style of music,m'y battery's is wired in series Yes, now m'y New adjustement is:

Loundness off

Bass 0 60hz

Sub 7 out of 15

Amp gain 3/4

Bass boost off

HU-KENWOOD kdc-mp435

Wired for amp 2 gauge marine grade

M'y sub is at .5ohm and they can take all the power with no clipping

I will poste picture

With this adjustement maybe I have a little upgrade vs m'y zr360

And I don't see a big différence betwenn 2ohm and 0 . 5ohm ? ?

And big Thank's for your help I realy need☺

But one thing is sure I will never blow m'y ssd with that amp with this power Maybe this a btl and I don't Know haha

I made your new ajustement and they work but my clipping light flash and noise Come of the sub at the same time,m'y voltage at no volume is 14.3 and with volume at 28 out of 35 the lowest I see is 12.3 with any style of music,m'y battery's is wired in series Yes, now m'y New adjustement is:Loundness off

Bass 0 60hz

Sub 7 out of 15

Amp gain 3/4

Bass boost off

HU-KENWOOD kdc-mp435

Wired for amp 2 gauge marine grade

M'y sub is at .5ohm and they can take all the power with no clipping

I will poste picture

With this adjustement maybe I have a little upgrade vs m'y zr360

And I don't see a big différence betwenn 2ohm and 0 . 5ohm ? ?
You still havent said what brand of wire.

your gain is way too high. Thats the reason why you have noise coming out of the sub. You have to lower the gain and have the sub level max. Not leave your gain the same place it was. Gain should not be at 3/4 of the way up thats a health hazard to the amp and subs. That head unit also might not even be a true 2 volt pre-out either.. Sub level needs to be maxed because if it actually 2 volt pre-out you will likely have less than 1 volt pre-out with your current settings thats why you overcompensate with the high amp gain settings.

Again you need to measure your AC voltage with a -5 db 40hz test tone if you want to get anywhere with this. Do you not know how to set your gains with a digital multi-meter?

http://knowledge.sonicelectronix.com/car-audio-and-video/car-amplifiers/how-to-adjust-amplifier-gains-using-a-digital-multi-meter/

You still havent said what brand of wire.
your gain is way too high. Thats the reason why you have noise coming out of the sub. You have to lower the gain and have the sub level max. Not leave your gain the same place it was. Gain should not be at 3/4 of the way up thats a health hazard to the amp and subs. That head unit also might not even be a true 2 volt pre-out either.. Sub level needs to be maxed because if it actually 2 volt pre-out you will likely have less than 1 volt pre-out with your current settings thats why you overcompensate with the high amp gain settings.

Again you need to measure your AC voltage with a -5 db 40hz test tone if you want to get anywhere with this. Do you not know how to set your gains with a digital multi-meter?

How to Adjust Amplifier Gains Using a Digital Multi-Meter | Learning Center | Sonic Electronix
I will adjust with m'y dmm next time,the only thing I need is the the test tone,I have application on m'y cel but I don't know how to have -5 db.

Thank's again

Some pics!

With New ajustement with sub level at max on hu gain at 1/2 bass boost off sound good but clipping light flash and when it flash small noise from the sub,I don't understand why this amp clip and why the sub can handle all the power,I have idea to install a xcon but from what I see this amp don't have the power for xcon?

Next buy= hu 80prs

With New ajustement with sub level at max on hu gain at 1/2 bass boost off sound good but clipping light flash and when it flash small noise from the sub,I don't understand why this amp clip and why the sub can handle all the power,I have idea to install a xcon but from what I see this amp don't have the power for xcon?Next buy= hu 80prs
You are not allowing the amp to pull enough current through that wire. It takes power to make power.

With New ajustement with sub level at max on hu gain at 1/2 bass boost off sound good but clipping light flash and when it flash small noise from the sub,I don't understand why this amp clip and why the sub can handle all the power,I have idea to install a xcon but from what I see this amp don't have the power for xcon?Next buy= hu 80prs
go to mcdonalds and order a milk shake... try to **** it down fast like you would a fountain soda... that same feeling is what your putting that IA 20.1 through!!!!!

I will adjust with m'y dmm next time,the only thing I need is the the test tone,I have application on m'y cel but I don't know how to have -5 db. Thank's again

Some pics!

Here's a download link to a -5 db 50hz test tone.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ln6ffxqd5e3xtm4/Negative%205%20db%2050hz%20test%20tone.mp3?dl=0

I saw that same amp push two hdc3 12s hard easily on an 180 amp singer alt and single XS power D3400. So no its not the amp, something else is definitely wrong with your current setup. Basically if you get any amp over 1k this issue will continue to happen Reason why i say this is because you said THERE IS NO DIFFERENCE between 2 ohm and .5 ohm which indicates your electrical is no where near adequate to provide proper power for this amp. When it is ready, you will notice a massive difference from the wiring switch alone.

I had a buddy with a stock corolla with 80 amp alt and everything stock try to run a power hungry hifoncs brx 2400. Result is, the output was weaker than his kenwood 500 watt rms amp. Tried lowing impedance from 4 ohms to 1 ohm. No difference but the power got dirty and clipped hella fast on either ohm load. On the multi-meter, Vac did not get past 20 volts thats only 400 ish watts . That same amp slammed on my system with my 320 amp alt and battery bank and did not get dirty. Vac read 48 easily on the multi-meter. Lack of actual current causes major clipping and low power output thats a guaranteed fact.

So does your boat have an alternator? how many amps does it provide? How are your grounds done? Did you do your voltage test at the amp power and ground terminal or at the battery?

Also any pics of the inside of the wire? I would like to see how thick the wire actually is not including the outer jacket.

Another point i'd like to make, if you have the sub in a sealed box. Your subsonic filter should be off. Put it to the complete minimum you can get it to.

Last edited by a moderator:
Dude turn your bass boost off! People here are trying to help you and you go and do just the opposite lol

Bass boost off, gain down, subsonic down, sub level on head unit up

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.