I went balls-deep in some CDT poon and this is what birthed itself...

20121201_081812.jpg

Just a little over 2oz. Good to start with.

20121201_075607.jpg

Always keep extra gloves and brushes nearby

20121201_074756.jpg

This is the pigment I used. I put about ¼ of it in each time. Maybe more depending on how much resin I am mixing up.

20121201_074815.jpg

Close up of the microspheres and what they do

20121201_082624.jpg

Pic of the resin with the pigment drops in it. You can see the spheres turn the resin into a blueish color

20121202_200604.jpg

What I consider a scoop of spheres to be.

This is also how much coke I could stuff in my nose in one rail when I was younger. Coincidence I can't smell or taste? ….mwuahaha

Last edited by a moderator:
20121201_084246.jpg

Here is what the resin looks like after you mix in the spheres and pigment

20121201_102652.jpg

The “good” panel's low spot, filled with spheres. It was uneven because I didn't have the time to sit and spread it evenly..it was 4am and I had work at 730am.. yea..

20121201_081942.jpg

This is what roughly 6 scoops of spheres looks like. You can see how much space it takes up in the cup.

20121201_102422.jpg

shot of the good panel after the 2nd layer of spheres

20121201_102640.jpg

To spread the spheres mixture I use a new brush and gently sweep downwards, with the brush oriented as vertical as possible to get a long sweep with each stroke. I found the more vertical/drastic angle I had, and the cleaner the brush (I used about 6 brushes perfecting this layer of spheres...but I'm weird like that) I had much better and smoother results. Long, sweeping strokes were good for initial orienting of the panel, but as I really wanted to perfect it and it got drier, what I would do is short, gentle strokes. I would use this drastic angle on the brush and take areas of buildup that were higher than others on the panel, and gently move, with a soft sweeping motion, the areas and spread them out to other areas of the panel. It might take 40 strokes to go from the bottom of the panel to the top, but it made for a very, very smooth panel and finish.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ah, got it. So simply to reduce weight. Good for use in pods like this, But I would think bad for a sub box. Either way, looks good.
Not exactly.

The pics are all out of order. Once I organize it, it'll make sense.

The spheres thicken up the resin to make it more like bondo, but it self-levels to a point. It also allows you to build up uneven areas and not worry about resin sliding off the panel and getting that dripping effect. It basically makes the resin like bondo, but smoother and way more versatile.

They are meant to replace bondo altogether. Cause when you think about it, all bondo does is level things out..well this does that (somewhat by itself depending how thick you make it) and dries much smoother and even.

Not exactly.
The pics are all out of order. Once I organize it, it'll make sense.

The spheres thicken up the resin to make it more like bondo, but it self-levels to a point. It also allows you to build up uneven areas and not worry about resin sliding off the panel and getting that dripping effect. It basically makes the resin like bondo, but smoother and way more versatile.

They are meant to replace bondo altogether. Cause when you think about it, all bondo does is level things out..well this does that (somewhat by itself depending how thick you make it) and dries much smoother and even.
Got it. I'll have to look at those. Is the price vs. performance difference worth it, over just using bondo and/or resin and a little extra sandpaper? Because I for one absolutely hate sanding.

Got it. I'll have to look at those. Is the price vs. performance difference worth it, over just using bondo and/or resin and a little extra sandpaper? Because I for one absolutely hate sanding.
Omfg it is so worth it. Its like 9$ for the jug and I have like 1/3 left and I've done 3 complete layers of the spheres.

You still have to sand it, dont get me wrong, but it comes off so much easier than bondo, and the nice thing is you can take a paint brush to it and smooth it out while it dries. I am using Vinyl Ester resin, not Polyester, and it is really sensitive to heat, so I was working in a cold space and I mixed like double the MEKP needed and I had easily 2 hours of working time with the spheres, probably more. And as soon as I put it under heat it cured over night.

This is my first time ever doing fiberglass, but I'll never use bondo again I think. I don't see a reason to. Plus you can mix in light amounts of the spheres when you're applying matting and it thickens things up a bit.

Omfg it is so worth it. Its like 9$ for the jug and I have like 1/3 left and I've done 3 complete layers of the spheres.
You still have to sand it, dont get me wrong, but it comes off so much easier than bondo, and the nice thing is you can take a paint brush to it and smooth it out while it dries. I am using Vinyl Ester resin, not Polyester, and it is really sensitive to heat, so I was working in a cold space and I mixed like double the MEKP needed and I had easily 2 hours of working time with the spheres, probably more. And as soon as I put it under heat it cured over night.

This is my first time ever doing fiberglass, but I'll never use bondo again I think. I don't see a reason to. Plus you can mix in light amounts of the spheres when you're applying matting and it thickens things up a bit.
Well, I'm sold.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.