I went balls-deep in some CDT poon and this is what birthed itself...

Which area of the rings? I knew that on the interior area (where all three converge) it would be difficult to get it smooth. Thats why I want to go with that textured paint to kinda hide it. However I think the quill cloth and the mircospheres will help...hopefully..
What would you recommend? Totally open to input maistro. Afterall this is my first gig.
make flushmount rings....the way you did it, it can make it hard to get the mounting surface flat

I'm trying to find a pic, but there's a trick to use a thin abs plastic around the ring to make it flush. And you can stretch and glue the fabric to that and it's super easy to trim out

make flushmount rings....the way you did it, it can make it hard to get the mounting surface flatI'm trying to find a pic, but there's a trick to use a thin abs plastic around the ring to make it flush. And you can stretch and glue the fabric to that and it's super easy to trim out
Ohh thats a good idea!

so you can sand down the plastic that is on top of the ring so that it can sit flush much easier?

Or are you talking about having a second raised-ring that sits outside of your speaker mounting ring, so the fabric is stretched over that, and it looks like the speaker is "sunken" a bit?

I think I might get some plastic rings made up for the 06+ boxes and have them do flush mounts. Sounds like a good idea.

Ohh thats a good idea!
so you can sand down the plastic that is on top of the ring so that it can sit flush much easier?

Or are you talking about having a second raised-ring that sits outside of your speaker mounting ring, so the fabric is stretched over that, and it looks like the speaker is "sunken" a bit?

I think I might get some plastic rings made up for the 06+ boxes and have them do flush mounts. Sounds like a good idea.
here's a pic to give you an idea of the flushmount concept. This is done with plastic but is easy with wood,you can use 2 rings stacked.

20121016_135121.jpg

---------- Post added at 02:50 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:49 PM ----------

Then when you stretch the fabric and glass you go up to or a little over the flush ring. Then just trim it out and it looks clean

So the second ring is really thin, and rides along the exterior portion?

Cause that it what it looks like to me.

Then I would glass over the trim ring, building up the glass over where the speaker sits, and then sand it down smooth to where it looks like one clean opening?

I see. So its really to get a clean edge around the speaker and a nice flat surface to mount to?

I don't have a router unfortunately (on my list of things to get) but I might have some plastic ones made up.

Or am I seeing this incorrectly?

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.