I Think I Need a High Output Alternator...

SlaughterX

I have a 1972 Buick Electra 225 pushing 3600 watts of amplified power using 2 batteries. I just got my system installed a week or so ago and only drove it a few days before it stopped turning over. Long story short, I am pretty sure the 40+ year old stock alternator isn't cutting it anymore (when I try to start the car tries to turn over but the GEN light comes out, all power still works for now though.

So I need a good high output alternator, but I am not sure which one I should get and I don't want to spend $350 for something I don't really need. What output do I need and which brands would you all recommend? Should I upgrade my practiaclly new Duralast Gold battery to an Optima?

I'm running 2 Pioneer amps, the GM-D9601 and GM-D8604.

I got a jump and managed to get it started and brought it to Autozone for them to test the alternator, they said it was still good, but that I would probably need a better alternator to keep the battery charged, so I ordered an Optima Yellow Top hoping that might work a little better as opposed to a new alternator. Guess we'll see how this works but I am still taking suggestions...

Get your money back from that Optima battery. Buy an Deka AGM.
For alternator talk to Singer,DC alternators, or Mechman alternators.

Duracell® AGM Deep Cycle Marine and RV Battery - Group Size 34M - Sam's Club

Sears.com
Thnaks, I like the price of that Duracell battery and I do have a SC membership, but will it fit and work properly in my Electra? I was looking at Mechman alternators but they are expensive and I am trying to keep cost down, do I really need a $300+ alternator AND a new battery?

I do not know what the big 3 are, battery, alternator and starter?

Thnaks, I like the price of that Duracell battery and I do have a SC membership, but will it fit and work properly in my Electra? I was looking at Mechman alternators but they are expensive and I am trying to keep cost down, do I really need a $300+ alternator AND a new battery?
I do not know what the big 3 are, battery, alternator and starter?

Its a group 34 battery just like the optima you said you got so it will fit.

I have no idea what size your stock alternator is. I don't know anything about that car.

You can probably get away with just the battery and a big 3 upgrade. Google big 3 upgrade.

If your car battery is dying over night it has nothing to do with the stereo though. Something is draining it overnight. Unless you are playing the stereo with the car off for a while.

I'm running the same set up (amps) atm and all on stock batt and alt (135a). Been running it for about 8 months. You're not running 3600, even if you were running the 9601@1 ohm. Read up on the big 3 and get that done.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.