I need a box design for 3 12's, or just advice

I already have two type R's in my hatchback, need more bass, addiction is winning. But I'm still balling on a budget. A i don't really have steady cashflow budget. I've got like $150 bucks to play with and what better then another Type R! ha anyways, wanna squeeze another one in my hatchback. Tips, advice, dimensions. It doesnt have a lot of face plate room at the trunk lid but it's a hatchback so it rises at it goes back so thats how i'll get my 4.5 sq feet i need to hav a good ported box, ( i thnk 1.5 sq feet is the biggest recommended, i can go smaller.)

Ok so and i know all about wiring and electronics but this box is kinda new, how do i tune it and do whats the best way to port. sounds the best facing the trunk lid. Right now the two are facing trunk lid, air goes up to seats then back to the lid through the port at the bottom. decent size port, sounds good. How big of a port will i need for three subs. IMPORTANT BIT where do i face them? all three straight back is tight but possible, would it sound good if it was like some kind of pyramid, like one straight back, one back left, one back right? My dad also insists i get a 10" instead for mids, but i want more bass. What do you think guys, is it gonna be noticably louder? How big? What direction? ps, they're 2 ohm subs, dual coils, right ow wired up to 4 and ran parallel for a two ohm load, with 3 i'll be able to wire each one parallel, then series to the next sub, for like 1.3 ohms, yes my amp is 1 ohm stable. Thanks for reading this lengthy lengthy post, and thanks for any help, advice, or knowledge about this you have to share.

Oh and it's a 2003 Hyundai Tiburon, And I've built a box before, but I'm mostly a novice with boxes and ports, so any stuff about that like what kind of port or if the direction of port matters a lot, that's all useful. Thanks!!

Last edited by a moderator:
CSCStang built a box for me out of birch. For the price it wasn't even worth pulling out the saw. Very happy with turnaround time, communication, shipping and end result

I already have two type R's in my hatchback, need more bass, addiction is winning. But I'm still balling on a budget. A i don't really have steady cashflow budget. I've got like $150 bucks to play with and what better then another Type R! ha anyways, wanna squeeze another one in my hatchback. Tips, advice, dimensions. It doesnt have a lot of face plate room at the trunk lid but it's a hatchback so it rises at it goes back so thats how i'll get my 4.5 sq feet i need to hav a good ported box, ( i thnk 1.5 sq feet is the biggest recommended, i can go smaller.) Ok so and i know all about wiring and electronics but this box is kinda new, how do i tune it and do whats the best way to port. sounds the best facing the trunk lid. Right now the two are facing trunk lid, air goes up to seats then back to the lid through the port at the bottom. decent size port, sounds good. How big of a port will i need for three subs. IMPORTANT BIT where do i face them? all three straight back is tight but possible, would it sound good if it was like some kind of pyramid, like one straight back, one back left, one back right? My dad also insists i get a 10" instead for mids, but i want more bass. What do you think guys, is it gonna be noticably louder? How big? What direction? ps, they're 2 ohm subs, dual coils, right ow wired up to 4 and ran parallel for a two ohm load, with 3 i'll be able to wire each one parallel, then series to the next sub, for like 1.3 ohms, yes my amp is 1 ohm stable. Thanks for reading this lengthy lengthy post, and thanks for any help, advice, or knowledge about this you have to share.

Oh and it's a 2003 Hyundai Tiburon, And I've built a box before, but I'm mostly a novice with boxes and ports, so any stuff about that like what kind of port or if the direction of port matters a lot, that's all useful. Thanks!!

Plenty of subs that can outright destroy/assrape a type R in the same budget range, but that's another discussion.

Measure your max dimensions, need depth x width x height. You probably dont have close to enough room to run 3 12s properly without the subs suffocating and you'll lose any output you could have gained. What amp is powering them and what kind of box are they in right now?

4.5 sq feet GROSS is barely enough for 2 12s. If you think cramming subs into tight spaces will get you louder, you are horribly misguided.

I would actually like to hear what other subs are better. These are not the old type r's that need a **** ton of room, in the manual it recommends 1.38 net cubic feet. So about 4.5 gross. Or nearby. My trunk is 36" wide at the skinny part, behind the wheels for 11 inches it's above 45", it widens out, which would make room for the sub faces, 15 inches tall at the lid, which is it's lowest point. rises to 20" right behind the seats. Now the seats are leaned back so the bottom depth is 33 while the top is 26. The box now is 33x18x19 the bottom 2 inches being a port. So you'll end up with 36 wide x about 23 deep x like 15 tall as the small box. Short, wide, and not very tall. 12,420 square inches, 1 square foot is 1,728, so I have over a 7 sq foot box here. Make it a little shorter so like 18 deep, 15 tall and 36 wide, coming out at the trunk lid to about 40, 18x15x 40 is 5.6 feet gross exterior. So basically I'm lucky my car has a fat wide ***. If I give a sub too much air will it sound like ****

Oh and it's a hifonics Brutus 2400 amp. Which may sound small but I'm fine with each sub getting like 700 watts at 1 ohm. Right now they get about 850 at 2 ohms. Specs say 2400 and 2000 but I'm speaking just in case specs are off slightly. It still pounds. But I'll be able to get the full potential from my amp, and have 3 subs pounding about 3/4 their top rms

Been searching, the soundqubed looks cool and in the right price range, but would I have to scrap my type r's. Or could I run it in a seperate box? Or should I get two new subs. . . Also read an entire thread about some American bass sub that is slightly better for slightly more. Or should I just go balls put and buy a $400 sub lol

Been searching, the soundqubed looks cool and in the right price range, but would I have to scrap my type r's. Or could I run it in a seperate box? Or should I get two new subs. . . Also read an entire thread about some American bass sub that is slightly better for slightly more. Or should I just go balls put and buy a $400 sub lol
again man, what kind of power do you have, you might not even tickle these big boy subs. Get those type Rs in a proper ported box first.

I said in one of them it's the 2400 watt Brutus, BRX2400.1D I believe. 1 ohm stable and has plenty of power, I know it's not the most trusted brand but I haven't read one bad review. The subs now are in a halfway decent box. Slightly above recommended volume, large slot port, but not too big. Been looking at that soundqubed and a ab xfl 12". The American bass costs more but has a 220 oz magnet compared to 140, and claims higher db, I don't have any experience with either of these so I've been reading reviews and comparisons. But anyways. I'm gonna read some more and see what db guys are actually getting with all three of these subs. Thanks for any help.

Ps, what's the best kind of port to use, and which direction should I be facing the port for future builds

I said in one of them it's the 2400 watt Brutus, BRX2400.1D I believe. 1 ohm stable and has plenty of power, I know it's not the most trusted brand but I haven't read one bad review. The subs now are in a halfway decent box. Slightly above recommended volume, large slot port, but not too big. Been looking at that soundqubed and a ab xfl 12". The American bass costs more but has a 220 oz magnet compared to 140, and claims higher db, I don't have any experience with either of these so I've been reading reviews and comparisons. But anyways. I'm gonna read some more and see what db guys are actually getting with all three of these subs. Thanks for any help. Ps, what's the best kind of port to use, and which direction should I be facing the port for future builds
sundown SA is a better/louder choice with the power you are running. The XFLs take up to 3k for a pair.

for a hatchback, you want the subs to face upwards and port firing to the rear for with 6 inches to load/breathing room. loudest configuration in a hatchback. How are you designing your enclosures? Any proper software tools? Do you model it out?

This is what a single SA 12 can do on only 500 watts. They can take double their rated power easily.

sundown SA is a better/louder choice with the power you are running. The XFLs take up to 3k for a pair.
for a hatchback, you want the subs to face upwards and port firing to the rear for with 6 inches to load/breathing room. loudest configuration in a hatchback. How are you designing your enclosures? Any proper software tools? Do you model it out?

This is what a single SA 12 can do on only 500 watts. They can take double their rated power easily.

So you're saying it's better to over power some subs rather than run some xfls at their recommended rms, just because the sub CAN take more? Is it going to outperform the xfls with the same juice? Would the coils get hot running over their rms? Also started drooling about American bass HD subs, and SQ HDC3.0 . .which I could buy one 15 or another amp for 2 12's. Or should I just stay entry level. I wanna go up. Not just a slight increase you can't even tell. Been searching a lot. Some advice is just nice

So you're saying it's better to over power some subs rather than run some xfls at their recommended rms, just because the sub CAN take more? Is it going to outperform the xfls with the same juice? Would the coils get hot running over their rms? Also started drooling about American bass HD subs, and SQ HDC3.0 . .which I could buy one 15 or another amp for 2 12's. Or should I just stay entry level. I wanna go up. Not just a slight increase you can't even tell. Been searching a lot. Some advice is just nice
Trust me man, Sundowns will eat up every last bit that brx 2400.1 can put out and beg for more as long as its not clipped power. Read up on box/impedance rise, you'll never get the full power out of your amp on music anyways. RMS power doesnt always mean louder it just means it takes more juice to get them actually moving. I'd run the XFLs if you had a better amp but a brx 2400.1 is not gonna draw out the full potential out of xfl subs.

Again though, are you designing your boxes properly or are you just winging it?

Looked at designs and templates and ideas online and made a box my size, so like half winging it. Future boxes will be more to spec, partly why I posted. I know some about subs but have a lot to learn. Will the sundowns be a lot louder then type r's, would the xfl subs be a huge difference. Is it worth a amp upgrade

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.