I nAudiophile needsrecommendations on picking out a system for his car

luda7777777
10+ year member

LUDA
I have a 1998 Oldsmobile Aurora. I just recently got a sony explode receiver

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?id=1069300179306&skuId=6228717&productCategoryId=cat03066&type=product

I am looking to get a subwoofer/amplifier to complete my system.

I'm thinking about getting the Rockford Fosgate 12 inch Punch Stage III with the matching amplifier. sub = 1000watts 500 rms at 4 ohms amp = 1500watts 500 rms at 4 omhs

http://www.ultimateelectronics.com/shopping/product/detailmain.jsp?itemID=3501&itemType=PRODUCT&iMainCat=1533&iSubCat=1570&iProductID=3501

http://www.ultimateelectronics.com/shopping/product/detailmain.jsp?itemID=3447&itemType=PRODUCT&iMainCat=1533&iSubCat=1600&iProductID=3447

I listen to mostly rock/hardrock/metal but i do occasionally listen to rap/hip-hop. So i'm not sure if i would need this big of sound but my aurora is a farily big car. Also i'm still not certain whether to go with 1 or 2 subs although 1 seems more logical to my needs since i do need a little trunk space and am not wanting to blow my trunk lid off.

I also would like to know what type of enclosure i should get and which sounds better. And with this system in this car would it be necessary to buy dynamat as well - cuz i really don't want my trunk to rattle.

If you know of a better package that would suit my needs please let me know - but i am limited to buying from http://www.ultimateelectronics.com because that's where my friend works :eek:.

Thank you for reading all this crap and responding if you choose to do so.

dude stay away from all that commercial crap. research companies such as:

adire, image dynamics, stereo integrity, digital designs, elemental designs, incriminator audio.

I know this is alot to take for a starter, but the manufacturers i listed are the real deal.

dude stay away from all that commercial crap. research companies such as:
adire, image dynamics, stereo integrity, digital designs, elemental designs, incriminator audio.

I know this is alot to take for a starter, but the manufacturers i listed are the real deal.

i agree. please tell me you are not going to pay $350 for that amp? there a lot of better options for that much money.

start looking at alpine or kicker or re or something that you cant get at a regular electronics store, find a car audio store close to you. they can help you out there, alot. you already made the mistake of by a sony head unit //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/crap.gif.7f4dd41e3e9b23fbd170a1ee6f65cecc.gif

Yep..I was going with the NEW FOSGATE STUFF 2 years ago..Then I was getting MTX Amps, Infinity speakers etc (MTX is decent) ...now I have ARC Amplifiers , CDT comps and Image Dynamic subs....

DO YOUR RESEARCH...you do not want to go with the stuff you see at Curcuit city( although some of it is cool)..I am more than pleased going with manufacturers who are trying to make a name in the industry and sell QUALITY hand made stuff..those other companies don't care about you or your SYSTEM! they make money on TV's and Cell phones.

Ask these guys..they know thier ****!!!!

P.S...I know what your thinking "I THOUGHT ROCKFORD FOSGATE WAS THE BEST"...They "WERE"..someone bought them out and now thier stuff is mediocre at best..This site explained that to me...Didn't you ever wonder why you could "all of a sudden" afford Rockfor Fosgate stuff????...thats why!

how about a hifonics bx1000D which puts out double the power for $215. i bought a pg tantrum 1200.1 for less than that amp. cadence Z8000, jbl 1200.1, plus others i don't feel like naming right now. look here: http://www.woofersetc.com/product.asp?0=451&1=452&3=2811 i found that same amp $100 cheaper and i really didn't try to hard to find it.
While the link he had didn't have the greatest price on that amp, I would hardly consider Hifonics or JBL "better". Cheaper, yeah. But "better", no.

While the link he had didn't have the greatest price on that amp, I would hardly consider Hifonics or JBL "better". Cheaper, yeah. But "better", no.

never said rockford was bad, but there are better choices for $350 that will produce 500 watts rms. i would also consider hifonics to be on the same level because i have used both the 1001bd and the brutus 1000D and the rf was being run at 4 ohms and had a short inside the amp and fried itself. the hifonics on the other hand has been running very strong and has been constantly ran at 1 ohm. i would also consider a crossfire vr600D or a memphis mc-500d to be better amps at lower prices. i don't know why you have to jump all over my **** when i'm trying to save the guy money. you just saw i found the same amp cheaper.

wow - thanks for all the input - i know the sony player wasn't the best idea - was cheap on money at the time. I can afford a little more now. I can get that Punch III sub for around 100 and the amp for like 150 or so. The employees at ultimate electronics get products at cost. lol - 350 for that amp - no way i would pay that, the store is making 200 dollars profit from it. Since i am fairly limited to buying from a retail store. I heard that 2 coils is better than 1 if yoiu are looking for tighter cleaner sound - is this true? And what would be better a 2,4, or 8 ohm load on my subwoofer.

first off why are u limited to an electronics store. YOU ARE NOT!!!

at leaast you can buy off of this forum, ALL of us are honest and love keeping each other happy with our setups.

For the money you can definaly get subs that sound better and louder and amps the produce more power.

Dont limit yourself and keep learning

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.