I know the BEST sub!!!

ArcaneParadise
10+ year member

I put that title mostly to get a bunch of people in hear because every person that knows even a little about car audio knows there is no "Best" sub... But anyways... I just wanted to know, are there any better overall subs than the Kicker Solo Baric L7 15"? By overall I mean price, sound quality, and SPL. Price would exclude the W7 without a doubt so no one say that one. And a lot of the other subs that are better cost more and sacrafice sound quality. The L7 I have heard has some pretty darn good sound quality. So... Can anyone tell me a better sub than the Kicker Solo Baric L7? From what I have researched, it would probably be hard.

Hmmmmmmm. Up here in My home town a guy would have to go over to Visions and pay over 600bucks for a single 12inch L7.

The kicker L7 has 12.5mm of Xmax, this limits its output.

The Eclipse 8712 has 18.5mm of Xmax and I can go to Krazy Kylies and pick one up for a lot less than 600 dollars or I can call the boys over at Audiomobile and order a mass 12 with 20mm Xmax for around 400bucks(CDN$).

The Eclipse and the Audiomobile subs have some of the best transient response you'll ever see(faster than Infinity perfects) resulting in clear bass even at extreme volume.

Best keep looking around, those L7's are not that good when you compare them to some other subs.//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

Over $600 for a single L7 12"????????? What the hell kinda ripoff is that?? I can get an L7 12" about 45 minutes away for right around $375!! I thought everything in Montana was expensive! well whatever, I think that the L7 is the best sub made for the money. Of course, the L7 is about the most expensive subs that people buy around here. only two people in the area of about 15 square miles from Victor have got the L7. I love mine though.

I hate to do this, cause this could get all crazy and such...

But I have to throw in the JL 15W3. This is a pretty affordable speaker that has great sound quality. Kicker and JL are both great speakers, but it depends on your ultimate goal: do you need to be the loudest at the party (like the fat drunk girl) or do you want to be the classiest (like the blond cheerleader?)

You can't go wrong with the Kicker...But listen to the JL too and see if they don't work for you. We had an Austin Mini with 8 Kicker solos that pushed 158 db. That was a freakin' monster, but we had a hard time getting it to sound good no matter what we did. We also had a sonoma with JLs that pushed 156 db, but also brought home plenty of SQ trophies as well. Sure we gave up 2db, but the trophies more than made up for that!http://www.jlaudio.com/subwoofers/15w3.html

Has anyone ever heard of kove? kove has been around for just about 5 years. but with the founder of kove, Gary Kovner, he has been engineering subs for over 25 years. prolly the reason yall havent heard of kove is because they are only in the midwest...missiouri, kansas city missiouri and a lil town called california missiouri. there are just a couple dealers but if yall ever hear anything from kove you will be impressed, most definatley. the L7's dont compare to any of the armageddons. the armageddons M, Z, and the U2's would kill a L7.

The Kickers are good, however- it is not really a challenge to find comprable; if not superior woofers.

As mentioned, the JL Audio and Eclipse models, and even as much as I hate to say it- the Audiomobiles too, all can surpass the actual output of the L7.

However, at what cost?

Take a look at the Adire Audio Tempest (15")

$150 for this--->

Re 3.50 ohms Le 2.9 mH

Qms 6.7 Mms 195 grams

Qes 0.40 Cms 0.34 mm/N

Qts 0.38 Rms 3.5 N*s/m

Fs 18.8 Hz Sd 779 cm^2

Vas 317 liters BL 14.2

Xmax 16.4 mm one way EBP 47

SPL 89.1 dB @ 1W/1m No 0.51%

Pmax 400W per voice coil; 750W total to the driver Distortion

Quantity Price Each

1 to 3 $150.00

4 to 9 $138.80

10 to 25 $128.50

26 and up Contact factory

http://www.adireaudio.com/cd/tempest.htm

Pay attention to the XMAX rating- 16.4mm ONE WAY!!

(I have personally seen this put to posative proof and I must say that this excursion is definately something to witness!)

This is a direct plot of Both the JL Audio 15w3 and Adire Audio Tempest- Kicker does not make the L7's Thiele/Small Parameters available on thier site so A comparison incuding it was not able to be made. If anyone has access to these, please let me know and I would be glad to include it directly within this comparison. Here are these two though, as you can see, both subs share similar BL -thus contributing to similar output sensitivity. Meaning that both subs would likely perform well with even a modest amount of power. When you take into consideration the higher XMAX and power handling among other things that both woofers share; it is without a doubt that they can both take plenty of power also.

Try this on for size,

-zane

Hey kicker S10, welcome to canadian prices, I payed 500.00 for my 15 inch type r, but luckily i work at a shop so i get alpine factory direct.

ZANE IS EXACTLY RIGHT MAN, HE TOLD ME ABOUT THE ADIRE AUDIO SHIVAS, THEY COST 125.00 SHIPPED, I WAS LIKE HES CRAZY, SO I GOT 3 OF THEM AND PUT THEM IN MY SPL BOX, WHOA! YOU CAN SAY MY PARENTS WERE MAD AS HELL WHEN THEY HEARD WHAT THOSE SHIVAS DID, 1 OF MY FRIENDS HAS 2 15INCH L7'S AND MY 12 INCH SHIVAS PUT HIM TO SHAME HARDCORE...GET SOME ADIRES AND TELL ME WHAT HAPPENS, ILL PITCH IN FOR A NEW GLASS IN YOUR CAR...THEY ROCK MAN, NO JOKE.

Zane: Look into the Blueprint Driver subs. I think you will be amazed by them. They have some of the best SQ in all of car audio. The 03 series are just like the NUKE subs also.

isn't Kove the guy that worked for lanzar and I don't know where they started but they are in california now and just for the record I will throw my two cents in and mention treo and boston both are about three hundred bucks for 12s 15s can't cost that much more

Zane, you are impressed with the xmax for the adire audio. Let me point out that the Bazooka EL1204 xmax is 28.956 (if my source is correct). I have a pair of these in my car and they do hit very hard given the fact that they are only 200 wRms, and I am only running approx. half that. But they are not nearly one of the top speakers. So how can you say that the adire is very good based on the xmax? Would you say that they would outperform the MTX 8124 both Sq and Spl? And as for CivicNOS, you say you have 3 adivas, your profile says you have 3 perfects. No offense to anyone, I'm only trying to get my brother a good system, and if I can save him some $$, then that's tight, but I don't want to tell him to get something and not have it to perform as good as what he has in mind. He pretty much paid for my system which cost a total of $600, including everything from the HU to the wiring, I do my own installations, so I told him I would build him a sweet system. He really wants the MTX 8124, but if you can tell me that the adivas can outperform the 8124, then that sounds like a better deal to me.

Thanks

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.