HU Install for a '99 Malibu

Participant count
  • Participant list
no you dont do that. once you upload you click on the picture then once that page loads look to the left and you'll see 4 codes

click the bottom most code. its the Image code. just click on it once and it will automatically copy it for you .

oh, ok let me try it again for a practice run
dash2.jpg
[/img]

sorry, camera fone.

well, on mine, there is the bracket that is screwed in (well mine only on one side) on both sides and on my bracket, it is fitted for the outer metal sleeve of the deck, and then it just slides right in

Oh, i think you meant that dash plate. Ya, it comes right off. Pop the plastic around the iginition piece out, and then it pops right off

No Im talking about the dash piece. Does that just pop off or is there screws in it and do I have to take the plastic trim off of the key hole?

Also just out of curiosity what color does the dash light up?

Yes, take the trim off the key ignition. There is no screws. Just clips. Mine comes off easily from being taken off so many times. Im not sure how much force you will need on a never opened dash, but mine pops easily.

The dash is kind of the greenish kind of electrical color i guess. Im not really sure, im partially color blind.

Alright sweet. So basically it should take about 30 minutes to get it all installed properly since Ive already done the hardest part wiring the deck harness and the harness to the car.

Yes, if that. The dash is easy on those cars. And the mouting bracket should be easy as well.

The only thing I can think of, is I have the piece of **** 4cylinder standard model with NO options, so there is nothing on the dash. If she has the LS model, the dash might be different. Im not sure about that

Just got done installing my first HU. It looks perfect and sits almost completely flush with the dash board. I had to cut out that plastic black piece on the left hand side to fit the deck. Thats the side the harness on the Eclipse is on. After I cut that off it was perfect. I routed a cord for the MP3 player up the center console to the cup holder where she keeps her MP3 player. Ive got some pics of the HU and how it looks in the mounting kit, but I dont have any of it in her car. I told her Id do it for free, but she paid me $60 for 1 hour of installation. I had the harnesses wired up so the hard part was already done.

Harnesses all wired up

100_0341_1024x768.jpg

2 sets of preouts and an aux input for MP3 players and of course the antenna adapter

100_0344_1024x768.jpg

This is the pic that shows that black space ring I was talking about that gives the HU an extra .5" of clearance in the back.

100_0340_1024x768.jpg

100_0342_1024x768.jpg

100_0343_1024x768.jpg

All put together

100_0345_1024x768.jpg

100_0347_1024x768.jpg

Showing how flush the face plate sites to the dash.

100_0346_1024x768.jpg

The dash piece was a piece of cake. I just popped out the ash tray and pulled my way around from there. The whole install was a piece of cake. The only issue I had was the plastic bracket that stops the stock tape deck from falling back into the dash. The Eclipse was about 1" to long even with the spacer so I had to run to my dads to grab a fine blade hack saw. Once I got that cut out it was done in about 5 minutes. It took me awhile to get the plastic bracket out since I didnt want to accidentally cut any other wires. It took about an hour total from start to finish including tuning the deck and checking all speakers.

The Eclipse was about 1" to long even with the spacer so I had to run to my dads to grab a fine blade hack saw.
my pioneer is also too long by about an inch. I guess Ill cut that piece off also....Easy install tho. I guess I did mine in about an hour also

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

About this thread

whitedragon551

5,000+ posts
whitedragon551
IL
Start date
Participants
Who Replied
Replies
Views
Last reply date
Last reply from