How to pick the correct 4 Channel Amp?

MarshBear

Alabama
I'm trying to add a little extra power to my front and rear speakers.

On the front I have a Kicker Components, which are 4Ω 120/60 (peak/RMS)

In the rear Kicker 6x9 3-way 4Ω 140/70 (peak/RMS)

I would like to get a small 4 channel amp to push some extra power to the speakers I already have.

My headunit only pushes 50Wx4

Only I don't exactly know what size amp to look for. The 400W ones I find say "38 W X 4 RMS @ 4 ohm" but to me that looks like it pushes less power than my headunit. I would have thought 400W + 4 Channels = 100W per channel. Which all I really want, is 100W per speaker, two double what the headunit is putting out. Am I reading the "38 W X 4 RMS @ 4 ohm" correctly or no?

I also found a 1200W 4channel which says "113 W X 4 RMS @ 4 ohm" is that what I need? 1200W seems like a lot though, then again I have not a clue.

I don't want to bridge, crossfade, highfade, or whatever. Just straight basic wiring.

And the smaller (size not power) the amp the better, as I have a nice empty space in my front dash just under the headunit where I'd like to put it (would make wiring a lot easier too)

I'd like to get this amp as soon as possible, as I'm redoing the car for my son for his birthday this weekend so pretty much all the panels are out of the car right now (redoing seats, headliner, and putting in the warranty replaced headunit, so if you could throw in as much information that you think would help me.

All and any help is greatly appreciated.

Your head unit rating of 50x4 would be greatly exaggerated. Probably anything from 50-100 watts x 4 would work fine. Newer Amps will likely be smaller. Class d will be small and draw less power.

Your head unit rating of 50x4 would be greatly exaggerated. Probably anything from 50-100 watts x 4 would work fine. Newer Amps will likely be smaller. Class d will be small and draw less power.
So the 1200W one that says "113 W X 4 RMS @ 4 ohm" is what I need then?

I'm not understanding what the "113 W X 4 RMS" means though. the RMS of the speaker is "60."

I just don't want to get the wrong one and blow something up, as the speakers look almost brand new, I'd hate to have to replace them also.

The speakers sound good (to me, not sure if they would sound good to a 16 year old though) with the watts the headunit pushes.

What about the Planet Audio BB1200.4 Big Bang 3 1200-Watt ?? It says 113 W X 4 RMS @ 4 ohm
Yeah that's 1200 watts max. Kinda a useless rating. Also, it does its full power at 2 ohms so you're wasting some of its potential/buying a bigger amp than you need. 4 channel will be more convenient, probably, as you won't have to run cable for two Amps.

not really a prerogative, just trying to find the easiest option. And trying understand how the connections work.Some say "x 1 RMS", others say "x 4 RMS"
a couple things...

first off you head unit isnt putting out 50x4. its putting out 12-22x4 at best.

second stay away from amps that dont do rated. planet audio, boss, pyramid. what the point of getting a "1200" watt amps that puts out 100 watts per channel?

third, all you need is an amp that puts out 50 watts per channel. i would suggest the https://www.amazon.com/SAE-50-4-Sundown-Audio-4-Channel- iAmplifier/dp/B00MJG8XR0 it will put out a little more then rated rms, and considering ur speakers are 60 and 70 watt rms that amp is perfect.

dont look at peak ratings they are useless. when you are picking out a amp to match the speakers u want to match rms to rms

hope this helps and stay away from **** brands, if it looks to good to be true it is

oh one more thing when your looking for stuff give us part/model numbers not what it says it does in watts etc.. it will help us steer you in the right direction, what model is ur h.u. btw?

a couple things...
first off you head unit isnt putting out 50x4. its putting out 12-22x4 at best.

second stay away from amps that dont do rated. planet audio, boss, pyramid. what the point of getting a "1200" watt amps that puts out 100 watts per channel?

third, all you need is an amp that puts out 50 watts per channel. i would suggest the https://www.amazon.com/SAE-50-4-Sundown-Audio-4-Channel- iAmplifier/dp/B00MJG8XR0 it will put out a little more then rated rms, and considering ur speakers are 60 and 70 watt rms that amp is perfect.

dont look at peak ratings they are useless. when you are picking out a amp to match the speakers u want to match rms to rms

hope this helps and stay away from **** brands, if it looks to good to be true it is

oh one more thing when your looking for stuff give us part/model numbers not what it says it does in watts etc.. it will help us steer you in the right direction, what model is ur h.u. btw?
$200(ish) for that amp seems a little over priced. Was hoping to keep it as close to $100 (-/+) as we could.

The headunit is Pioneer AVH-X5800BHS

What are your thoughts on Desert Eagle DE-S900.4 ?

Or the Pioneer GM-D1004 400W ?

or the Kenwood KAC-M1804 Compact ?

$200(ish) for that amp seems a little over priced. Was hoping to keep it as close to $100 (-/+) as we could.The headunit is Pioneer AVH-X5800BHS
its not over priced, sundown under rates their products, so that amp puts out more then what its rated. also u get what u pay for. when your looking at planet audio and looking at price yes that amp might seem over priced comared to planet audio but planet audio is junk. now that people know ur budget is 100 im sure someone can recommend something to ya, i dont know of anything that low that i would use

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.