How to get this box out of my trunk? + Rate my ground please (PICS)

Hi, just ordered a pair of SA-12s so it is now time to get the Type R's sold and get the box out of my trunk... only problem is, I am pretty sure the box and type r's are stuck in my trunk :(

This was my first attempt at building a box and I was stupid and didn't check if it wouldn't fit in my trunk beforehand. When I discovered that it wouldn't fit in my trunk, me and my brothers ended up taking out the spare tire from under the carpet and we had to take off the large plastic piece that lined the inside of my trunk. Even after all of that they still ended up kicking it into my trunk out of frustration haha (They were drunk as f)

Anyways there is no room to take out the subwoofers because the depth of the motor, so I think I am going to have to cut the box somewhere to be able to pull it out with the subs still in it.

I took some pictures of it in my trunk so you guys can get a better idea of how to help me.

IMG00173-20120508-1737.jpg

IMG00174-20120508-1737.jpg

The box is touching the back of my trunk and is about 6-8 inches from the trunk lid. I'm guessing the box weighs 100+ lbs so I'm going to need some help getting it out haha.

Should also mention that my rear seats don't fold down.

And while I am already making this thread I want to ask if you guys would rate my ground for my amp... the wire is 4 gauge Fierce Audio wire.

IMG00175-20120508-1737.jpg

IMG00176-20120508-1738.jpg

Thanks guys for any advice :) also want to say thank you to Jason @Moble Enclosurs for the box design, it sounds alot better than my prefab even though I messed up on several aspects of the build, such as chamber supports, port support, 45 degree angles...

Let me know if you fellers need any more info to help me out.

Can't wait for my SA12's to come in the mail, so I can have another go at building a box!

Last edited by a moderator:
ground looks okay. if it got in there, it is able to come out whether a lot of force is used or not. Just pull all of the plastics out again, get a few buddies, and start pulling. I would hate to have to cut a box up just because it wouldn't come out.

So will I be able to get the lid off by unscrewing all of the screws and just prying it off with a crow bar since it is stuck there with liquid nails? I want to take the lid off so I can secure the ports better and put the chamber supports in and also 45 degree angles in. Instead of just completely scrapping it and starting over, most likely just going to have the SA12's facing the rear instead of facing up.

you'll splt the wood by prying it apart. if you break it off, you should consider building another box.
Split just the top piece even after taking all of the screws out? or split both the top and the sides?

I'm not going to be using the same top piece since I am not going with the sub up design anymore.

If you pull the top piece off, regardless of if you have screws in or not, it will split where the liquid nails is holding it. it will rip a thin layer of the wood off where the glue was in contact whether it is on the top plate or the walls that it is glued to.

---------- Post added at 07:42 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:41 PM ----------

i'd seriously just try to pull it out after pulling the plastics out of the trunk.

take the seats out.
that generally don't work in most cars the opening is left rather small since it's never going to be opened up and in a wreck/crash crap would come flying through.

---------- Post added at 09:09 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:08 PM ----------

if you got it in it will come out.

Instead of ghetto rigging it back together after tearing it apart, just bust it up and start fresh with a new box that WILL fit into your trunk.

A sheet of wood doesn't cost that much, and it'll save you hours of work/frustration.

Instead of ghetto rigging it back together after tearing it apart, just bust it up and start fresh with a new box that WILL fit into your trunk.
A sheet of wood doesn't cost that much, and it'll save you hours of work/frustration.
Yeah that's probably my best option here... I'm not too concerned about having to buy another sheet of MDF, I just think it would be pointless building another box if the one that I already built will work just fine, but if I can't disassemble it without splitting the wood.. then I guess I am just going to be forced to build a whole nother box. Will definitely to pay more attention to detail instead of rushing this next one!

If it went in, it has to come out somehow. I realize that's been said a thousand times, but there's no point in buying new wood if you don't have to. However, redoing the box (at least the top) in order to make it more convenient may be a good idea.

If it went in, it has to come out somehow. I realize that's been said a thousand times, but there's no point in buying new wood if you don't have to. However, redoing the box (at least the top) in order to make it more convenient may be a good idea.
Yeah it's definitely going to take lots of force though haha... not going to bother trying to take it out until my SA12's arrive though, hopefully by this weekend, but realistically next week sometime.

Also another stupid question, do you think if I make a better ground I will get more output from my amp, therefore making my subs louder? I feel like my Type R's aren't as loud as they should be, and I can't decide whether it is the amp, the amateur box, or just the age of the subs.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.