How to get this box out of my trunk? + Rate my ground please (PICS)

What you need to do is get drunk with your brothers again, you will find a way to get it out in one piece. Experiment with different angles and work it back and forth and you will figure it out. Like its been said over and over, if it went in, it will come out.

Yeah it's definitely going to take lots of force though haha... not going to bother trying to take it out until my SA12's arrive though, hopefully by this weekend, but realistically next week sometime.
Also another stupid question, do you think if I make a better ground I will get more output from my amp, therefore making my subs louder? I feel like my Type R's aren't as loud as they should be, and I can't decide whether it is the amp, the amateur box, or just the age of the subs.
What is the voice coil configuration of your subs? What's the size of your box and tuning? And how'd you set your gain?

I was just asking if the 4 cu ft was from the external dimensions or internal. If it's net, then I'm sure 2 cu ft is okay for them.

How is your filter set on the amp? Maybe you've got the low pass or subsonic at an odd frequency. If that's not the problem, maybe try changing your ground(I don't know if the ground you have is really bad enough to be detrimental to the amount of current that you're tryin to use. What have you heard other than your Type Rs to compare them to? What were you expecting?

I was just asking if the 4 cu ft was from the external dimensions or internal. If it's net, then I'm sure 2 cu ft is okay for them.

How is your filter set on the amp? Maybe you've got the low pass or subsonic at an odd frequency. If that's not the problem, maybe try changing your ground(I don't know if the ground you have is really bad enough to be detrimental to the amount of current that you're tryin to use. What have you heard other than your Type Rs to compare them to? What were you expecting?
I don't know what the filters on my amp are set at off the top of my head but tomorrow I will check and let you know, I will definitely also find a better spot to ground tomorrow afterschool and I am comparing mine to two 15" Kicker Comps in a friends jeep and also my other friends identical Type R's in a prefab box powered by a 1000 watt Kenwood I believe... The Kicker Comps got ridiculously loud even off only 500 watts, the box was 8+ cuft in the back of a jeep though.. and my friends type r's also got super loud for how many watts pushing them. He ported the box himself using two PVC pipes in each of the chambers of the sealed prefab box. They were also in a 98 Hyundai Accent which is pretty much a hatchback.

My Type R's in a 4 cuft box broke my brakelight cover off, but it is directly above the subs so I don't know if that is impressive at all.. At full tilt I don't get any windshield flex or anything like that, roof doesn't move at all, side mirrors shake only a little bit...

Maybe tomorrow I will record a video of it, but like it said it definitely doesn't give me the nice back massage/windshield flex I am looking for from subs :p Hopefully these SA-12's will satisfy my bass craving.

Maybe this time, experiment a bit with tuning.

If you were comparing to previous setups you've had in your car, then it would be a bit easier. Since these are setups in different vehicles, there are too many variables to really tell you why your subs aren't performing. Maybe one of their vehicles were deadened and had a resonant frequency closer to the music they were using, or the boxes were tuned higher and had much higher peak, etc.

Like I said, after you change the ground and check your filters, maybe the best thing to do next time would be to tune a little higher. 34-36, something like that(it would depend on the sub).

Maybe this time, experiment a bit with tuning.
If you were comparing to previous setups you've had in your car, then it would be a bit easier. Since these are setups in different vehicles, there are too many variables to really tell you why your subs aren't performing. Maybe one of their vehicles were deadened and had a resonant frequency closer to the music they were using, or the boxes were tuned higher and had much higher peak, etc.

Like I said, after you change the ground and check your filters, maybe the best thing to do next time would be to tune a little higher. 34-36, something like that(it would depend on the sub).
Sure, the guy that sold the SA12's to me recommended 35hz so I think I'll go with that. Also should mention the bass boost is at 0, i've been recommended by alot of people on this site not to touch it so I am going to trust their word.

Do you mind explaining the difference between different box tunings? I think I understand it a little bit, If I tune a box to high to mid 20's all of the low notes will sound clearer/louder? and if I tuned my box to high 30's it would be the opposite? as in the higher notes will be very loud and sound better than a box tuned to mid 20's

I really appreciate the advice so far, thanks!

Wood is cheap!! I would take a sawzaw cut it out these days than fight getting it out,and possibly damage the subs.saves time, and frustration..that box may not be suitable for another vehicle,....cut it out,save the frustration man:eyebrow:

Wood is cheap!! I would take a sawzaw cut it out these days than fight getting it out,and possibly damage the subs.saves time, and frustration..that box may not be suitable for another vehicle,....cut it out,save the frustration man:eyebrow:
I'm not going to try to sell the box after I get it out, just modify it a little for SA12's if possible. If me and a couple dudes can't pull it out of the trunk then I guess Ill just cut off a big portion of the front so we could get it out.

I'm not concerned about the price of MDF though, just don't want to have to build another box if it's not necessary.

Sure, the guy that sold the SA12's to me recommended 35hz so I think I'll go with that. Also should mention the bass boost is at 0, i've been recommended by alot of people on this site not to touch it so I am going to trust their word.
Do you mind explaining the difference between different box tunings? I think I understand it a little bit, If I tune a box to high to mid 20's all of the low notes will sound clearer/louder? and if I tuned my box to high 30's it would be the opposite? as in the higher notes will be very loud and sound better than a box tuned to mid 20's

I really appreciate the advice so far, thanks!
From what I understand, it's more or less a peak output at a certain tuning.. tuned to 32hz it is gonna shine at 32 hz or 34 or 30. But not so much 52-60.. tuned to 42.. it will be best used around 42hz..

so decide which music you listen to most, figure out what notes you're usually hitting, and tune it around that.

I recently had a box built for my two SPLaudio SA12's and we tuned it at 32hz and the lows are great but its night and day difference from my prefab and now the highs (48-52hz) are totally lacking, its like the songs that used to slam with my old box I dont even listen to anymore., and songs i hated listening to are now the most wangin

but I plan on fixing that soon by adding some fat mids

If I could do it again I would probably tune it to 38-40hz, because I am more into music than SPL and crazy lows, although they can be fun.

Also another stupid question, do you think if I make a better ground I will get more output from my amp, therefore making my subs louder? I feel like my Type R's aren't as loud as they should be, and I can't decide whether it is the amp, the amateur box, or just the age of the subs.
Well, that could be a number of things. It could be your ground, box, power, amplifier, or the subs themselves, as well as a number of other factors.

Is the box built within the subwoofers' specs? Where's the box tuned at? The ground isn't horrible, but it wouldn't be a bad idea to ground directly to the frame. You might notice a slight difference, I don't know how much. As far as the amp goes, well, people have mixed feelings about Hifonics. I personally don't have anything against the brand, and don't feel it's causing too much loss in output, but somebody else might argue that point.

Well, that could be a number of things. It could be your ground, box, power, amplifier, or the subs themselves, as well as a number of other factors.
Is the box built within the subwoofers' specs? Where's the box tuned at? The ground isn't horrible, but it wouldn't be a bad idea to ground directly to the frame. You might notice a slight difference, I don't know how much. As far as the amp goes, well, people have mixed feelings about Hifonics. I personally don't have anything against the brand, and don't feel it's causing too much loss in output, but somebody else might argue that point.
I'm really liking the amp so far, barely gets warm at FULL tilt.

EDIT: Haha, see what I did there?!

Last edited by a moderator:
Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.