how to determine inline fuse rating

Participant count
  • Participant list

mat3833
10+ year member

CarAudio.com Elite
florida
ok, so im going to be doing the Big 3 as well as pos and neg runs of 0ga to the trunk of my new car. i have 2 questions:

1. do i need to fuse the alt to battery wire for the big three and if so what size fuse?

2. how do i determine what size fuse to use for my power wire?

im goign to be running 0ga to a dristo into the 2 amps, then the 2 amps will run grounds to another distro which will run 0ga to the battery. i kno i fuse the pos wire, but im not sure what size to fuse it with. i will be running a kicker ZX-750 and a Autokek MM 1400.4(new model, 50 amps of fuse i think)

Matt

ok, so im going to be doing the Big 3 as well as pos and neg runs of 0ga to the trunk of my new car. i have 2 questions:
1. do i need to fuse the alt to battery wire for the big three and if so what size fuse?

yes. the fuse rating is what the wire is capable of handling

2. how do i determine what size fuse to use for my power wire?

again, you are fusing for the wire. so whatever amperage the wire is capable of running at that is the amperage fuse i would get.

im goign to be running 0ga to a dristo into the 2 amps, then the 2 amps will run grounds to another distro which will run 0ga to the battery. i kno i fuse the pos wire, but im not sure what size to fuse it with. i will be running a kicker ZX-750 and a Autokek MM 1400.4(new model, 50 amps of fuse i think)

Matt
answers in red

i thought you fused the amps power wire to what the amp would be drawing+10%. hmm, oh well. so 0ga is rated at 200 amps right?

Matt

For the power wire going to the amplifiers ive always looked at the total fuse rating on both amps, added them together and added another 10. Haven't blown a fuse ever

wait, so i have to fuse BEFORE the distro block AND after the block before each amp?
Matt
you dont have to run fuses at all, but it would be way more safe to have one upfront at the battery, think of how long of a run it is from the front battery to the back at the distro block. If anything happened in that run before the distro block like the wire was cut it would short to ground and there would be no fuse to blow and stop it and your car could burn to the ground... all hypothetical but, its possible

well i was planning on fusing ~ a foot before the power distro. and not fusing before each amp, 0ga fuse holders get expensive and i already need 1 waterproof one plus another for the power wire.

Matt

well ****, now i need 5 inline fuses. 1 for the Big 3, 1 in the engine bay for the power wire, one just before the distro, and 1 for each amp. god you guys make me spend money! lol, need 3 0GA and 2 4GA. anyone have a suggestion for a good quality inline fuse? id prefer them all to be weatherproof and secure.

Matt

well ****, now i need 5 inline fuses. 1 for the Big 3, 1 in the engine bay for the power wire, one just before the distro, and 1 for each amp. god you guys make me spend money! lol, need 3 0GA and 2 4GA. anyone have a suggestion for a good quality inline fuse? id prefer them all to be weatherproof and secure.
Matt
like i said, if it was me i would do after the distro in between to the amps.

so you should have

alt to battery

battery to distro

distro to amp 1

distro to amp 2

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.