how to accurately set bandpass crossovers ?

Participant count
  • Participant list
there's some smd equipment thats supposed to help you do this, but like the dd-1 it's pretty overpriced imo.

i just set it by ear and by looking at the knob and adjusting to where i felt was accurate. the best way to do it is with a DSP but that's out of a lot of our budgets, the 80prs has a way to do it digitally so that's another intermediate option i guess.

SMD is very over priced.

I mean you could just play a test tone at your desired crossover and then move the xover knob down until the town starts to attenuate.

that can be difficult with tones though because that **** gets annoying quick and can hurt your speakers.

why not just use the 80prs??

It can set bandpass. You use it to set the HPF and LPF. There you go, you just set a bandpass
yes i know it can do it,

but i want a different crossover.

so how do i set it on the amps ?

both my 4ch are band passable .

forget me having a 80prs......

dont you thing this is good info to know.

If you have access to an rta. That would the the way to go. Just play the speaker full range with pink noise and rta will tell you where your crossovers are set. As long as you do it under the natural roll off of the speaker.

Another way..how I did it before I had the 80prs. If your amp tells you the top and bot freq of your crossover. For example. 50hz all the way counter clockwise and 500hz all the way clockwise. You add them together and divide by two. That number will be roughly what middle freq of the knob is dead center at 12:00.

I was running my mids off channel 1+2 and my tweets off channel 3+4. I maxed out both to the 5khz then slowly backed them both counter clockwise at the same time till my music sounded pristine.

Hope that makes sense

yes i know it can do it,but i want a different crossover.

so how do i set it on the amps ?

both my 4ch are band passable .

forget me having a 80prs......

dont you thing this is good info to know.
Set the hpf where you desire and then set your lpf as stated before its literally just that your over thinking it. Your knob IS the xover the cc1 has a cd with tones and you play the tone you want and you turn your knob until the cc1 recognizes the tone your playing and thats it.

Set the hpf where you desire and then set your lpf as stated before its literally just that your over thinking it. Your knob IS the xover the cc1 has a cd with tones and you play the tone you want and you turn your knob until the cc1 recognizes the tone your playing and thats it.
ok so your saying the cc1 will do that?

i was trying to think how it could do that...

ya your right i am over thinking it, but it does no hurt to know the right way of doing it. as i have just guessed but i hate doing that as im sure im not crossed over right.

and from what i gathered the 80prs on does bandpass in 3-way right ?

as im in std mode.

and was looking at the h/u crossovers and wanted my crossed different.

if the cc1 will do it im going to buy as i want one anyway.

the camery,

thanks and i know what your saying.

i just dont have a rta i would love to have one.

then i could really get my system setup just right.

ok so your saying the cc1 will do that?i was trying to think how it could do that...

ya your right i am over thinking it, but it does no hurt to know the right way of doing it. as i have just guessed but i hate doing that as im sure im not crossed over right.

and from what i gathered the 80prs on does bandpass in 3-way right ?

as im in std mode.

and was looking at the h/u crossovers and wanted my crossed different.

if the cc1 will do it im going to buy as i want one anyway.

the camery,

thanks and i know what your saying.

i just dont have a rta i would love to have one.

then i could really get my system setup just right.
Yes the cc-1 tells you to turn the knob up or down on the amp untill the middle green light gets lit and that meands you are at the desired frequency.

And yes on "network mode" its active capable

thanks.

and was just reading the manual and ya i cant set it as im in std mode.

i do have my front and rear set to pass. so have my crossovers on my amps.

ok thats good to know, now just need to get one, thanks.

When I ran a 3 way front with the PRS

80 set HPF at 70 for mid bass

Amp 1 set LPF at 300 for mid bass

Amp 2 set band pass 300-2500 for midrange.

Amp 2 ran tweeters 2500 up.

It was not ideal. Time alignment never got perfect since it would move the mid range and tweeter together. It's basically like running passive mid range and tweeter with level control.

When I ran a 3 way front with the PRS
80 set HPF at 70 for mid bass

Amp 1 set LPF at 300 for mid bass

Amp 2 set band pass 300-2500 for midrange.

Amp 2 ran tweeters 2500 up.

It was not ideal. Time alignment never got perfect since it would move the mid range and tweeter together. It's basically like running passive mid range and tweeter with level control.
with me running it in std mode will auto eq do anything for me ?

and that why i wanted to know how to get my bandpass crossovers right.

as in std mode there is not bandpass filters.

so i have my front and rear pass throw so i can set my amps crossovers.

man i wish this h/u was 4-way.......

with me running it in std mode will auto eq do anything for me ?
and that why i wanted to know how to get my bandpass crossovers right.

as in std mode there is not bandpass filters.

so i have my front and rear pass throw so i can set my amps crossovers.

man i wish this h/u was 4-way.......
You can do everything but crossovers. Auto EQ and TA. If it was 4 way it would be the 99.

You have to do what I did if your amps will do it.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.