How should I handle???

pearlsjam79
10+ year member

So I just bought a new truck a couple of months ago, and of course I had to put some decent equipment in it. In the past, I have done all my installs myself. However, right now I'm working 60 hours a week and have a 5 week old baby, so free time is limited. I checked out just about every shop in a 100 mile radius. The installer I went with was highly recommended and his portfolio was excellent, as were his prices. He charged me $200 labor for a 6-8 hour job. I picked up the truck yesterday and everything looked and sounded great. I had my newborn with me, so I had to be in and out in a hurry. I got home and inspected everything. The sub is hidden under my rear seats. This douchebag installed a $50 Cervin Vega pos instead of the Jbl MS sub I picked out. I'm fuming, he closed the shop right after I left so I was unable to talk to him yesterday. I really want to kick him in the teeth for playing me like that, but I know that is not the correct way to handle. How should I approach this?

If anyone has suggestions on a decent shallow 10' sub I would appreciate that too. Max depth is 5 3/4, getting about 300rms.

You should just wait till Monday and talk to him and see what he has to say. I have had to alter equipment mid install for a wide range of reasons, but I normally talk to the client before we do it. That way everyone is on the same page and understands what is going on.... Maybe it just slipped his mind?

maybe the other sub didnt fit?
prolly this, if he went with the Vega series..3/8" depth difference. The shop should not have done that without an explanation beforehand, to discuss possible options...not to mention charging you for something you did not buy..that is a straight up scam.. My question is...what happens when you swap subs and it does not sound different...or sounds worse than the Vega?

That's a very good question. Not really sure what to put in now. And I agree, it was shady of the installer to do me like that. The sub is plenty loud, but very sloppy. No definition or clarity, and I'm an sq guy.

With your description of the "issues" with sound, I don't think the driver will make that much of a change to be honest. Sounds like other issues that need to be worked out if you are a SQ guy.

I find it hard to believe that I won't hear a difference between a $50 sub and a $200 sub. Just my opinion, this isn't my first rodeo.
Then you should know that the product you purchase is only about 5-10% of setup. Also, what you pay, has nothing at all to do with performance. You much to learn young grass hopper.

What are the enclosure specs? Also, what other product did you have installed and what is everything set at?

Definitely talk to the guy. Ask him whats up. Going in there with guns blazing isn't going to do any good, it'll just p^ss off everyone involved. He may have just made a mistake, maybe he did it on purpose for a good reason.

or maybe he was trying to pull a fast one. Find out why then act.

Definitely talk to the guy. Ask him whats up. Going in there with guns blazing isn't going to do any good, it'll just p^ss off everyone involved. He may have just made a mistake, maybe he did it on purpose for a good reason.or maybe he was trying to pull a fast one. Find out why then act.
This, just have some common sense.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.