How powered subs vs low powerd subs

t-scene
10+ year member

Senior VIP Member
Sorry for the screwed up tittle it should be : * High power subs vs low powered subs *

Just wondering if I would notice alot of difference between a 600w rms sub vs 1500w rms sub.

Would it really be much louder?

I have read on here that cone area makes a large difference but say that are both the same size.

Yes, a 1500w woofer is going to be a bit louder than a 600w. But if you have 1500w, you'd be better of increasing cone area and doing two 600w woofers for overall loudness.

Sorry for the screwed up tittle it should be : * High power subs vs low powered subs *

Just wondering if I would notice alot of difference between a 600w rms sub vs 1500w rms sub.

Would it really be much louder?

I have read on here that cone area makes a large difference but say that are both the same size.
Say you powered both subs with 250 watts rms-

Assuming that both subs are in their optimum enclosure. Most subs,even by the same brand, have different parameters between their subwoofer lines. If both subs are powered with the same 250 watts each, the sub with the better efficiency ( assuming both subs were efficiency tested identically) will produce more SPL. period.

If both share the same efficiency, then both will produce the same SPL.

So in everyday use you might not be able to tell the difference between the two.

But increasing the cone area would make a noticeable difference.

in the sense of how Buck answered your question -

On music , say you power the 600 watt sub with a 600 watt amp, and the 1500 watt sub with a 1500 watt amp and both subs share a 87 db @ 1w/1m efficiency. The 1500 watt system will play @ +3 db louder than the 600 watt system....noticeable to the ear but not a major change in output volume. If the 1500 watt sub has a 90 db 1w/1m efficiency, then you will now have a +6 db gain over the 600 watt system....a very noticeable difference in output volume.

Theoretically the sub that is getting 1500w is gonna be around 3dB louder than the 600w one (actually it would be 4dB but because of different variables you are more likely to except 3dB).

In other words, you will hear a difference, but it really depends on a lot of factors. Now, if you were to compare a sub that's getting 600w vs. the SAME sub getting 1500w then yes you would notice a difference for sure. But comparing 2 different subs, there are too many variables to say for sure. Just cause a sub has a high power rating doesn't mean it is A. efficient or B. a strong sub.

So in everyday use you might not be able to tell the difference between the two..
If you are powering them with the same amp...but do understand the box plays the major role here.

But increasing the cone area would make a noticeable difference.
If you maintain the same power to all the speakers, yes..say you have 1 sub on 600 watts and you add another and power it with an additional 600 watts (1200 watts system power) A doubling of cone area will too give you a +3db gain....again, noticeable, but not major....but now you get into the coupling of subs and the effects of the subs being able to play louder at lower frequencies...realize too that when playing music, the power the subs are receiving is not a steady flow, it fluctuates dramatically..that 1200 watt amp at full unclipped volume, may be producing any where from 200 to 900 watts on music. It is really better to look to a larger amp rating than the sub rating for this reason..impedance changes so much during music play. On a quality built pair of 500 watt subs, i would not hesitate to use a quality built 1500 watt amp. ( now we get into maintaining a steady flow of voltage to the amp)...lol

Theoretically the sub that is getting 1500w is gonna be around 3dB louder than the 600w one (actually it would be 4dB but because of different variables you are more likely to except 3dB).
In other words, you will hear a difference, but it really depends on a lot of factors. Now, if you were to compare a sub that's getting 600w vs. the SAME sub getting 1500w then yes you would notice a difference for sure. But comparing 2 different subs, there are too many variables to say for sure. Just cause a sub has a high power rating doesn't mean it is A. efficient or B. a strong sub.
sooo many factors..lol..it is easy to explain theory vs. the tricks of the hobby..lol

sooo many factors..lol..it is easy to explain theory vs. the tricks of the hobby..lol
Yeah it really makes it a pain...you can put the 2 subs in modelling programs but those are never very accurate because your vehicle changes the acoustics of everything. Honestly OP the best answer you could get is to get the 2 subs yourself and try them, cause that's the only way you'll know. It *****, I know, but that's how the game goes lol

actually that is 100% set in stone. It's cancellation that usually throws a wrench into that. A sub getting twice the wattage of another exactly like it will be producing 3db extra acoustical energy, it's the user that screws that up.

Yeah it really makes it a pain...you can put the 2 subs in modelling programs but those are never very accurate because your vehicle changes the acoustics of everything. Honestly OP the best answer you could get is to get the 2 subs yourself and try them, cause that's the only way you'll know. It *****, I know, but that's how the game goes lol
btw, man, I love the Phil Collins re mix

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.