Subs in a boat, have a few questions.

99ws6
10+ year member

I am looking to add some subs to the system in my boat. I currently have (6) Polk Db 6.5's amped and I'm looking to add some bass. I am going to build the boxes to fit in my side storage area on each side of the boat. I have room for right around a 1cuft or slightly larger box on each side. I have looked into the DCON 10's and the Sundown E10's. I have planned on running ported, tuned to around 33-35hz. My question, is being in such an open area what kind of volume and sq can I expect from either of these setups, assuming the box will be properly tuned and the subs will be sufficiently powered? I am open to other options if anyone has any other suggestions, I just would like to keep it around $300 or less for the two subs. Thanks!

What kind of boat is this going into? There is a member on here who has successfully done a high powered 10 setup in his Mastercraft ski boat. He was running 2 SA 10s and switched to an SSA xcon iirc.

@agarabaghi is the guy I'm talking about, pretty sure he has vids on youtube of the setup as well.

I have pretty deep side storage wells that run down the boat from the back seat to the captain and passenger seats. I will get some pics up as soon as I get home.

I have pretty deep side storage wells that run down the boat from the back seat to the captain and passenger seats. I will get some pics up as soon as I get home.
I would be interested to see how the subs would preform in the open air... thats why I was thinking IB subwoofers but I suppose the dcons may work.. just not sure how they would sound???

Figures, I get home to take some pics and it starts pouring outside. I'll get some tomorrow and post them up. I've made a mock up box and I was able to get one on each side that were slightly larger than 1cuft each. The dcon 10's should be able to handle that small of a ported box (correct me if I'm wrong here), or I could go with 2 12's sealed, just not sure which would be the best for this application.

I had a 12" type R in a ported enclosure in my boat (literally just tucked back on the floor of the boat) and it sounded pretty nice. Don't expect the same output you would get in a car/suv/truck though.

Ok Im here lol. Yea, as far as the open ended response, you can expect a 6dB loss per double the distance by law, and also a 6dB loss per double the opening of port area in an environmental factor, not enclosure factor as long as the environment has at least 5 walls of the 6 per all 3 planes of reflection. So, the factor of distance is relevant for this scenario. What to do in the space is likely to seal the enclosure due to the noise factors that may exist in a ported design in that kind of space. You are very limited on space requirements for any kind of efficiency that will outperform a sealed enclosure given the environmental factor mentioned above along with the needed tuning in the LF range to increase output at a given passband.

SO, I agree that the best situation is to go sealed to maintain low end response by means of compression only, and make the baffle area the largest area of the dimensions to create that IB reflective sound propagation, where baffle loss is a consideration. The larger the baffle area/plane on the box, the more you will experience the effect of the sealed enclosure low end smoothness.

Distnce will be a factor in both sealed or ported designs so based on usability and purpose, sealed would be the way to go, with a larger baffle area. Best to make the design based on the golden rule on this one with the baffle being the central dimension. So, if you are using 10s, make the depth according to the depth of the subs plus an inch, say its 8", then based on the golden rule and the limitations of 1 cubic ft with a single 10 and its appropriate diameters, you will have a box that is 8" deep, 13 wide, 16.75 high with regard to 1 cubic ft where the golden rule becomes less accurate but usable with two of the three dimensions, mainly for depth and one baffle dimension.

Does that help?

Yes that does help, I appreciate all of the responses! After thinking deeper into it, I do have a 2nd location option that might work out better. I have quite a bit of room in my footwells, under my dash on the drivers side and under the glove box on the passengers side. I have not taken any measurements yet but I am positive I will be able to fit a larger box in each of these locations. I am not sure what effect this location will have on the sound, positive or negative acting as a large 5 sided enclosure.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.