How powered subs vs low powerd subs

btw, man, I love the Phil Collins re mix
Glad you like it. I didn't add the bass to it, someone else did and I have no idea who. I just fixed it up to be more suitable for playing (the "original" remix has very quiet lyrics and the bass is stupid loud )

So, say the box remains sealed, upgrading from 1 10'' sub on 600 rms, to 1 15'' on 1200 rms, you should see ~6 dB increase? If you change it to a ported box then it will go even higher I'm sure. Just assuming considering double the power would be about a 3 dB increase and you are almost doubling the cone area as well, unless there is a law of diminishing returns, which I'm sure doesn't weigh in heavily at these lower power levels.

I always figured cone area and box design was one of the most important factors. Like, 2 15's seeing 300 watts apiece would be louder than 1 15 on 600 watts.

If both subs where seeing 600 watts the larger sub will normally still be a bit louder and have more of a presence. IF IT IS BROKE IN. If the spiders are so tight it won't move then it's motor strength advantage is on hold.

I have a Mmats Juggernaut 12 (1500 rms) but was thinking about down grading to a OA or Sundown 12 (600 rms)
why?..It carries good sens and handles lots of power..the best of both worlds. you can power it with 150 watts or 1500 as long as you don't clip it, you can run just about any amp on it...if it is not putting out, change the box, tuning, placement, etc.

I plan on running a Mmats D1600.1 and putting in a 2.5 cubic ft. after woofer and port displacement tuned at around 34 hz with a 6 in aero port.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.