how much would you know about car audio if it wasn't for the internet?

i got started hands on, then researched the net and got directed to this forum ever since it has been a h*ll of a cross between hands on and the web.

I would not know near as much. The only brands that I would probably be familiar with are the mainstream brands. Basically, I'd probably have the knowledge of the average highschool "shover."

ahhh i remember they days of the rockford Punch Zs and the rockford 301m.... o man was i a bad ass. if it werent for the internet i would think that alpine was still some knockoff company and no "type R" could compete with these cuz i had ROCKFORD.... haha but o well.... i dont want to make this sound like a Dr. phil succes story but Caraudio.com saved my life and my inflated ego...

When first got into it, it was before internet was really booming. Most companies did not even have websites! I learned first hand and by trial and error.

Id probably have some crappy HU with just Bass and Treble adjustments, 2 Rockford Fosgate T#s, and a RF power amp. All from the nearest reputable dealer.

My 1st experience with anything approaching a real "system" was a friend of mine who used to compete (dunno which organization) and had an old VW Fox 2-door with a wall inside with four Fosgate Series 1 15" subs on some (what I thought at the time was) huge HiFonics amp. All MB Quart mids/highs and his HU and mid/highs amplification was all Yamaha. I haven't any clue what he did or might have metered back then but just the fact that someone had stuffed four 15s into a subcompact was cool to me and got me interested.

Over the following years I did what research I could hands-on and read everything I could get my hands on regarding mobile audio.

Before I got to fooling around with the various forums I either do or used to frequent I thought I knew alot.

After spending more than a few hours typing to different folks about some stereo gear I found I didn't know near so much as I thought I did. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

I was 15 when I heard a system. A car show on Sunrise Highway in Long Island (NY)

4-15" Old School Punch subs mounted on wall of a custom mini truck (converted into a SUV)

I remember it being crazy loud (I still have the pic I took somewhere).

But that didnt get me into it....it was my friend's Supra in '98 (3-10W6s) that made me go all out.

I had my first system before I had my car //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/wink.gif.608e3ea05f1a9f98611af0861652f8fb.gif

Probably nothing quite honestly. There were and still are some pretty knowledgeable guys over on the Mazda forums whom I have learned a lot from. I'm a research nut and have used ECA, Carsound, and now DIYMA extensively to learn the tricks of the trade...and I still consider myself a NKOTB!

This is a great quote that sums up my living philosophy on learning:

"You can learn new things at any time in your life if you're willing to be a beginner. If you actually learn to like being a beginner, the whole world opens up to you."

- Barbara Sher

i would have known about 3% of what i know now, because the internet gave me the info i needed in order to get a job at a shop and learn even more. So i owe all of my sucess to the internet, and this forum, so when i win an award in Mobile Electronics mag i will be sure to shout you guys out

Would know alot less than i do know. Wouldnt know how to set gains correctly and wouldnt have heard about the kick ass internet companies. If the internet wasnt around i would be running MMATS subs and amps off an Alpine deck because thats the first system that a high school friend had that really got me into car audio when i was back in middle school.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.