how much would you know about car audio if it wasn't for the internet?

Slaugh
10+ year member

CarAudio.com Moron
i was recently thinking what would i be in the car audio hobbie if it wasn't for the internet... to start with i would probably have some Pioneer hu (the bluerer and the more dolphins on it, the better!!), Pyramid or Audiobahn (BEAUTIFUL!!! RIGHT?!) amplifiers , best looking subs (XPLOD maybe) i could get and oem speakers on my doors... i would judge equipment for it's looks instead of it's sound or anything else (not bashing on Pioneer of course... i know it's a great brand, but it seems they've been becoming more remarkable these days for their cosmetics rather than their sound itself) ... whatever, i would have a COMPLETELY different system that i now have... i would know jackshit about audio, but in my head i would be always right... you've probably have met one of these people before, scares me to think that i could be one them...

just to mention, today i was willing to find out how some component kit sounded like (to start with i found it for sale on internet classifieds) and all i had to do was to start a thread here and in instants i got the answer i wanted.... what about the rest of my system.. i entirely built my system searching on the internet and i bought nearly all my equipments through it...

i wonder how much people had to be into this thing to really research about it back in the 80's/early 90's.... i know many of you are from the old age, i think you guys have great attitude for never quitting it...

getting off-topic a bit, i also remember in the pre-internet days ( )... i would also buy tons of magazines, like one for every day of the week... i recall those CDs that came along with computer games magazines, and that was the only way i could play Demo version of games such as Alone in the Dark, Duke Nukem 3D, Quake, etc... //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/biggrin.gif.d71a5d36fcbab170f2364c9f2e3946cb.gif well let's not forget the cheat codes from our favorite games... imagine how we would know them without the magazines... i wish i could have my old mags back again ... i'd love to re-read them //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/frown.gif.a3531fa0534503350665a1e957861287.gif

today all you have to do is seach on the internet (google, forums, etc...) and you can easily get everything you need... maybe things are getting better someway, but come to think about it... we're getting less and less social... and maybe things are getting too **** easier... or is it not? what was the subject of this thread again?

LOL internets

Uh, prolly everything the people at the car audio shops told me //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/frown.gif.a3531fa0534503350665a1e957861287.gif//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/crap.gif.7f4dd41e3e9b23fbd170a1ee6f65cecc.gif

Probably that there is nothing wrong with walmart audio, and local audio shops dont rip you off, they really want to be honest and build a quality system for you at a good price.

I did it the old fashion way, reading everything at the newstand for years. Low Rider, Truckin, Mini Trucking, Car Audio Magazines, 12 CES shows, IASCA finals, CMAA shows, etc. I visited every shop I would come across back in the day, collect every brochure, kept every brochure until this week........

170 pounds later (yes, 170 pounds of product lit I have picked up over 12 CES and 17 years in the hobby) they are all going to a good home. Need to get rid of the pack rat mentality.

Learned some stuff on the net, learned quite a bit more before I even got on.

Juan

I love being able to read actual normal people's experiences with different equipment, and not having to rely on dealers or vendors opinions to choose my gear. i dont personally have the funds to find out about high-end gear 'hands-on' before i purchase, so getting to hear other people's experiences, not necessarily opinions, even, but objective observations about equipments strengths and weaknesses, really helps a lot.

Still have to take some opinions with a grain of salt, especially since some people are quick to knock the equipment you want cause they've never heard it, or because it's not what they have/like but there's definitely some extremely helpful people here, and on other forums.

Not knocking jl, i'm sure it's awesome equipment, but i went to my local jl dealer to hear a w6 and a w7 before i bought my alpine type-x, and the dude at the shop told me that they don't have them on display, because they're too $$$$. So i started asking him questions about the speaker, since he obviously had some experience with them (i was genuinely interested) and he told me 'most people that walk in here have already done their research and know what they want) when i asked him how i could be sure i wanted to spend $1k for a sub without hearing it or talking to him about it he just said (when people want the best sub, i tell them to get the w7) and that was the end of the conversation. Again, i'm not knocking jl, but that's a perfect example of what most of us would have to deal with if it weren't for these forums. I got some advice from a few members, hotcarl, namely, who has owned type-x's and w7's, and i decided the x's were enough for me.

So, in short, if it weren't for these forums, i would know very little about car stereos, and THINK i knew a whole lot more than i did. And i think it's funny how apparent it becomes that MOST people know very little, and think they know a LOT once you actually start learning more about car stereos, or any hobby for that matter. I think it's really funny when i go back and talk to the people i thought really knew their stuff back before i really got interested, and started educating myself about all there is to know about car electronics. I called up the shop where i bought my last sub (a 15" kicker l7) to ask him what my last box was tuned to, since i was thinking about getting back into stereos, and he told me 40hz. I asked him if he could make me a box tuned around 30-35hz, and he told me he wouldn't do it, because tuning that low is only for competitions, and to have good sound quality, you need to tune to 40-50hz!!!

I did it the old fashion way, reading everything at the newstand for years. Low Rider, Truckin, Mini Trucking, Car Audio Magazines....

Juan

me too...especially LRM

I remember back then how bad I wanted JL W6s and Orion HCCA amps.....

No doubt the intenet has played a big role in car audio knowledge. People have given me ideals and some product to really consider, but I have always had a intrest in this so I have always believed in hands on research. It is a combonation of all things. But my ears are the final judge. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

I did it the old fashion way, reading everything at the newstand for years. Low Rider, Truckin, Mini Trucking, Car Audio Magazines, 12 CES shows, IASCA finals, CMAA shows, etc. I visited every shop I would come across back in the day, collect every brochure, kept every brochure until this week........
170 pounds later (yes, 170 pounds of product lit I have picked up over 12 CES and 17 years in the hobby) they are all going to a good home. Need to get rid of the pack rat mentality.

Learned some stuff on the net, learned quite a bit more before I even got on.

Juan
im glad your getting the PG lit scanned //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/wink.gif.608e3ea05f1a9f98611af0861652f8fb.gif

i would not know nearly as much as i think i do now..im sure i would spout fewer half truths and misrepresentation of facts if the interweb didnt convince me i knew so much.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.