I goofed! Too much amp!

WannaKatana2

CarAudio.com Newbie
Ok I screwed up.

Subs dual voice coil 4 ohm each so 1 ohm wiring the two subs together.

Amp 500x1 4ohm
930x1 2ohm
1700x1 1 ohm

I got the wrong amp. It's 1700watts into 1 ohm to the 2 subs with a maximum of 1200 watts (600 each). Can I use an overpowered amp if I turn the gain all the way down for example or is the risk too high to damage the subs?

I can return the amp and get a 1200watt into 1 ohm if I have to.

Zero problem there. We all like our amplifiers to be capable of putting out more power than needed.

I'm sure others will chime in. Set the gain a little conservative (little less power), and you will be fine.

Just to add to what has already been said, this won't be a problem because of a thing called impedence rise. When the subwoofer is playing music, the resistance of the voice coil will rise above what you wire it at. Because of this, even with that amp set at a 1700 watt output, the subs will almost definitely not see that much power. It's actually a good thing to have an amp rated for more than the subs, because of this reason.

Overhead power is really nice to have so that the amp isnt working its Azz off constantly. It helps also to keep them running cooler if wired to the proper Ohm loads stability. A race horse cant run full throttle forever,

I ran 2 600 watt subs off a 3000w amp for a few months (with zero babying them 😂) without any issue...like stated above, I just had the gain set pretty conservatively...

Also depending on the amp...it may not make rated or potentially more than rated...

Last edited:
I'm running a 2500-watt amp to 2 Focal Polyglass 33 V2's rated at 400 watts RMS each (Focal rates its drivers very conservatively). At 4 ohms the amp is still putting out 1000 watts. The amp is designed to operate down to 1 ohm but amps are most efficient and have more effective damping (woofer cone control) at 4 ohms. It's just the way I rock ('N' roll)!

;)

I thought the gain setting was to get the right match for the signal from your source stereo; to your amplifier?? Also, I've heard regularly that the gain knob is not a volume knob, If the gain isn't set to match the source output, wouldn't that affect the quality of the signal?? Someone help me better understand the previous replies regarding setting the gain. Thanks

I thought the gain setting was to get the right match for the signal from your source stereo; to your amplifier?? Also, I've heard regularly that the gain knob is not a volume knob, If the gain isn't set to match the source output, wouldn't that affect the quality of the signal?? Someone help me better understand the previous replies regarding setting the gain. Thanks
The gain adjusts how much the signal is amplified...and you do want to set it to match the input signal in most cases but when using an amp rated higher than your sub...you can set the gain lower to help prevent sending too much power to your sub

Last edited:
The gain is to match WITH the head unit's output in order to achieve the desired amp output. (I need a better analogy, but you're not trying to find your twin to marry, you're trying to find your best partner, in order to have the best kid). It's not matching as an equal, but as in a collaboration. A better word is probably a partnership, or a cooperation, but don't expect that to take. It's not matching with, it's matching up with. It's not H = A, it's H x A = S

So lets say your volume knob is 1-26, and your head unit has a 5v preout. 1-26 is adjusting the voltage output. The signal might be sent out as:
1 .2v
2 .4v
3 .6v
etc..
25 5v
26 5.5v (an extra 10% over top for fun).
Before I get to the amp, here is where people get in trouble. They set their gain to the max number on the volume because it's max. This may already be clipping. A cheap head unit might even be clipping before rated voltage. Your rated preout voltage might be below the max volume the knob can go to. That can cause clipping.

The gain is amplifying the voltage, you are adjusting the percentage of how much. This is why people prefer higher voltage preouts, because the gain doesn't need to be turned as high/ You don't need to amplify/ work the amp as hard to get the same output as you do on a 5v preout.

I know it's called a gain, but it might help to think of it as a limiter. You have the output/wattage that you want to send to your speakers. To set your gain, you turn your volume head unit up, (so that it is not a variable) and you set your gain for that wattage (by using ohm's law to convert wattage to AC voltage needed). Now you have the max output you can achieve. Then your volume knob becomes the variable.

Rated power is factored with THD. I have an alpine amp that is rated at 4 x 150w RMS @ 4ohms with .04THD. I've tested that amp to 1% THD and got over 440w RMS. Every amp SHOULD be able to produce more power than what its rating is. If you just turned the gain up, you would clip and blow your speakers.

Last edited:
Ok I screwed up.

Subs dual voice coil 4 ohm each so 1 ohm wiring the two subs together.

Amp 500x1 4ohm
930x1 2ohm
1700x1 1 ohm

I got the wrong amp. It's 1700watts into 1 ohm to the 2 subs with a maximum of 1200 watts (600 each). Can I use an overpowered amp if I turn the gain all the way down for example or is the risk too high to damage the subs?

I can return the amp and get a 1200watt into 1 ohm if I have to.
Two voice coils at 4 Ohms each can be wired directly as 8 Ohms (series) or 2 Ohms (parallel) - not 1 Ohm

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...