how much round port for a 4^3 for a pair of xxx 12"

Participant count
  • Participant list

plyhammer
10+ year member

Senior VIP Member
ohio
I have a pair of 12" xxx in a 4^3 box. This is all going under the rear seat of a quad cab truck so it is as big as it is going to get. I have it braced with all thread to save cubes and it is straight on 4 cubes for the pair. I am having a little problem with the porting. The subs will have to downfire with the ports facing forward but I have checked with a couple of porting calculators and have gotten different answers from them. How much port do I need.

jus seal em...2 12" xxx's i'm sure would be plenty loud sealed.. question, how tall are your back seats bottom seat cuz to fit those subs downfiring that would have to be a high back seat...u gotta have room for the huge magnet and then enuff room for the excursion...this doesnt seem likely

The subs are in the box already. I have the seat raised 5 inches to accomidate the extra room needed. Respl.com recommends 2.1 cubes per sub ported, I didn't think that I was too far off from that.

That 2.1 was effective air volume after considering the amount of air displaced by the subs themselves (.19 cu ft each) and any port volume within the enclosure. I am running 2 3" ports for a single XXX and the port displaces around .25 cu ft. You would need roughly twice the port area that I have and thus about twice the volume. After displacements you are looking at your 4 cu ft box being only about 3 cu ft and thus needing a longer port to get a good tuning freq. You are going to be better of with a sealed setup in that amount of space.

dang. What if the ports were external? Oh well, cant get bigger I will probably just have to seal it then. Thanks guys.

Should I cut some of the box to make it smaller then? I would have 3.6 cubes after sub displacement (thanks heli). Will 1.8 cubes per sub be too much sealed? thanks again

When you don't run a ton of power to it, it isn't that big a deal. With 1kw it plots at 70ish mph port velocity within the usable frequency range. I don't have any audible noise.

If your goal is SPL you need a huge amount of port area and a big box. The big box and high tune necessitate a lot of that port area. I'm in for SQ, smallish box, lower tune, lower power and smaller port area.

I was using Win ISD (and Pro I tried them both) and they both gave me the same result. Symetry of deisgn was important for me but not nearly as important as no port noise. I fiddled with the setup for a while during the modeling stage to make sure that it wouldn't be a problem. If I had gone to a bigger box I would have had issues. I should have the 250HCCA on it @ 1 ohm this afternoon, I'll let you know what happens.

I have MSN messenger BTW. I just need to correct the setup.

can I put some wood inside of the box to reduce the airspace or do I need to rip the box apart to cut out some of the space?

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.