How much better are 6.5 compared to 5.25?

In my experience 6.5s of the same line of speakers have had a pretty decent amount more midbass than the 5.25s. If your looking for strong midbass, than 6.5s can get the job done better if properly installed imo...

Usually the larger speaker will have a little better midbass authority and slightly better low frequency extension. Obviously this generalization is only valid when comparing the exact same model speaker.

i remember reading this somewhere...one of them (i forgot which) is more prone to beaming
Both of them are equally prone to beaming. All speakers are prone to beaming.

The 6.5", however, will begin to beam at a lower frequency than the 5.25".

Beaming is, simply put, due to a relationship between the length of the soundwave in relation to the diameter of the cone.

Speaker.........Theoretical

Diameter........Maximum Frequency

(inches).........Before Beaming (Hz)

Notice that even your tweeters will experience beaming at some point in the audible frequency range //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

Beaming??? i know i know im an idiot
Beaming is exactly what it sounds like....beaming of the sound. Think of a flashlight...how there is a "beam" of light. The sound from the speaker does essentially the same thing...there is a large loss in off-axis response from the driver, and sound "beams" much in the same way as the light from the flashlight.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.