How many Ohms? What Subs would work???

Participant count
  • Participant list

quiimari
10+ year member

I Am Tiger Woods
I have a Soundstream Tarantula 2-channel 880watt amplifier, and I am in a debate with myself over several different types of Subwoofers. Since the tarantula cant be run on 6 ohms...I think..... I took about the JL w6's that I really wanted. A audio dealer told me they work the best under 6 ohms and 4 ohms just doesnt sound as good. So its either 2 12" MTX thunder8000s or 2 12" Alpine Type R 1241Ds. If you have any other recommendations for subwoofers please respond. Any advice at all would be helpful.

the amp should handle anything higher than 4ohm, whether its 6ohm or 1000ohm. as for 6ohm or 4ohm, the dealer is BS'ing you. 4ohm would give you more power, which translate into higher SPL without distortion. 100watts of 6ohm will sound the same as 100 watts of 4ohm. the only difference is that 4ohm will have little more distortion, but the difference is SO small, its inaudible. amps nowadays have THD of under 1% at 4ohm. not to mention a car's acoustic isn't the best for sound reproduction. oh yea..road noise. with road noise, no such thing as sound quality diffenence between 4 and 6ohm.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.