How many hz should my sub box be tuned too???

dcferguson98

US
Hey guy's I'm building a ported sub box to go under the seat of my 2003 gmc Sierra extended cab. Ive got 2 10in Rockford fosgate P3's that I'm putting in the box but I honestly have no idea how many hz I should tune it too. All the music that I usually listen to is all old school chopped and screwed Houston rappers to give you the genre of my music type. If anyone could help with what hz I should tune to, that would be awesome[emoji16] ! Thanks.

Sent from my N9519 using Tapatalk

Hey guy's I'm building a ported sub box to go under the seat of my 2003 gmc Sierra extended cab. Ive got 2 10in Rockford fosgate P3's that I'm putting in the box but I honestly have no idea how many hz I should tune it too. All the music that I usually listen to is all old school chopped and screwed Houston rappers to give you the genre of my music type. If anyone could help with what hz I should tune to, that would be awesome[emoji16] ! Thanks.
some like low (32hz) others like loud (40-45hz) but no sq., i like 35-38 in between..

So the low 32hz is gonna hit a lot harder than 45hz but the 45hz would be louder?
well deep is what u feel in your chest loud hurts ears.. closer to get to 25 hz or so the more like a sealed box more sq (but ported plays deeper) closer u get to 45 the worst the sq is.. really not all that many songs have music below 35 anyway there are some (even a list on site) but 35-36 is pretty tight and loud.. i have a pontiac grand prix, pontiac vibe is slow a gto was fast i went in between lol..

well deep is what u feel in your chest loud hurts ears.. closer to get to 25 hz or so the more like a sealed box more sq (but ported plays deeper) closer u get to 45 the worst the sq is.. really not all that many songs have music below 35 anyway there are some (even a list on site) but 35-36 is pretty tight and loud.. i have a pontiac grand prix, pontiac vibe is slow a gto was fast i went in between lol..
da fk are you talking about.

deep is not what you feel in your chest, deep is just sh*t shaking and massive wind and vibration everywhere. You gotta be extremely loud at 150+ at 30hz to feel something in your chest slightly. Where stuff hurts the most easily 35 to 50 hz range which can be felt in your chest, stomach, ears at 142 db and a lot more at 150+db . 25hz is mainly wind. Unless you are doing a 155db or more, 25hz is not gonna hurt anywhere at all at the slightest, At most you'll get ear pressure. Things change at 155db+ though.

So the low 32hz is gonna hit a lot harder than 45hz but the 45hz would be louder?
32hz wont hit harder, it'll just be smoother overall. However if you want your music genre to hit hard, i'd recommend 36 to 40hz because thats right right below where old school hip hop plays at. You dont need to play anything under 30hz unless you listen to the new school rap with bloated bass so tuning low would just make you peak way lower than what you need for your genre.

deep is not what you feel in your chest, deep is just sh*t shaking and massive wind and vibration everywhere. You gotta be extremely loud at 150+ at 30hz to feel something in your chest slightly. Where stuff hurts the most easily 35 to 50 hz range which can be felt in your chest, stomach, ears at 142 db and a lot more at 150+db . 25hz is mainly wind. Unless you are doing a 155db or more, 25hz is not gonna hurt anywhere at all at the slightest, At most you'll get ear pressure. Things change at 155db+ though.

32hz wont hit harder, it'll just be smoother overall. However if you want your music genre to hit hard, i'd recommend 36 to 40hz because thats right right below where old school hip hop plays at. You dont need to play anything under 30hz unless you listen to the new school rap with bloated bass so tuning low would just make you peak way lower than what you need for your genre.
ok so i was right that tuning above 35 hz is better for most music.. i do have some q's about boxes don't wanta do a tread so #1 what tuning is better for rock music like 40hz? #2 what is a "hidden chamber" ported box? #3 is port are the same most of the time or would 4x4 port work as good as say a 1.5 or 2' w x 13" port or would just the most port area win, meaning is wider and shorter better than taller and skinny (ports talking about ports)?

Last edited by a moderator:

Would bevelling/rounding off the ports make any difference in sound or would it sound the same it's it's just a flat hole?

ok so i was right that tuning above 35 hz is better for most music.. i do have some q's about boxes don't wanta do a tread so #1 what tuning is better for rock music like 40hz? #2 what is a "hidden chamber" ported box? #3 is port are the same most of the time or would 4x4 port work as good as say a 1.5 or 2' w x 13" port or would just the most port area win, meaning is wider and shorter better than taller and skinny (ports talking about ports)?

Mainly try to get enough port area to not get port noise and then get the proper tuning. As for which port is better, the more square/circle a port becomes, the more efficient it is as in it'll do its job without seeing much port noise compared to lets say a long skinny port aka all those prefab boxes with 1.5 inch x 13 skinny ports. The way you know this is by surface area of a rectangular prism basically The more surface area means the more air friction means less efficiency.

A=2(wl+hl+hw)

lets say you have a length of 20 and lets shoot for a port area of lets say 64 sq inches

One port will have 4 width x 16 height A=2(4*20+16*20+4*16) Surface Area = 928

one port will have 8 width x 8 height A=2(8*20+8*20+8*8) Surface area = 768

So as you can see the more square a port becomes, the more efficient due to less wood surface area that air has to travel through meaning you can get by with a lot less port area than a long skinny port.

here's a calculator for you to play around.

https://www.google.com/webhp?sourceid=chrome-instant&ion=1&espv=2&ie=UTF-8#q=surface+area+of+a+rectangular+prism&*

How about a round or aeroport you ask?

simple same length 20 and same sq inches 64

area of a circle is pi x radius ^2 so to reverse that 64/ 3.14 = 20.3. square root of 20.3 = 4.51 inch diameter round port.

Now you find the surface area of a cylinder. which is A=2(3.14)rh+2(3.14)r2

Plug that in to here https://www.google.com/webhp?sourceid=chrome-instant&ion=1&espv=2&ie=UTF-8#q=cylinder+surface+area&*

and you will see that with a 4.51 diameter round port, the surface area = 694.54 which is less than the square port aka more efficient.

to answer question #1 it actually depends on the subwoofer and vehicle its in. Every vehicle will sound different and require a different type of tuning. Some will play rock just fine tuned at 32hz. Others will require 40hz tuning so its best to test out the cabin gain of each vehicle to see what frequency you peak at.

question number 2, There is no "hidden chamber" ported box. There are 4th order bandpass and there are Aperiodic Bi-chamber (ABC) ported boxes.

4th order is a sealed and a ported combined good low end extension and good output if you have a higher ratio of ported to sealed only works with woofers that are good in sealed boxes aka Efficiency Bandwidth Product (EBP) of 55 or less here is a calculator, find your sub's TS parameters and plug it in http://www.calculatoredge.com/new/bandwidth.htm

Aperiodic bi chamber boxes are meant to tame peaky woofers for a flatter response.

Yup gramps there's waaaay more to subwoofers and enclosures than you'll ever know. What you know only scratches the surface.

Would bevelling/rounding off the ports make any difference in sound or would it sound the same it's it's just a flat hole?
mostly sound the same but will help slightly with airflow Its always recommended. Gains are very very tiny but gains are still gains.

Mainly try to get enough port area to not get port noise and then get the proper tuning. As for which port is better, the more square/circle a port becomes, the more efficient it is as in it'll do its job without seeing much port noise compared to lets say a long skinny port aka all those prefab boxes with 1.5 inch x 13 skinny ports. The way you know this is by surface area of a rectangular prism basically The more surface area means the more air friction means less efficiency.
A=2(wl+hl+hw)

lets say you have a length of 20 and lets shoot for a port area of lets say 64 sq inches

One port will have 4 width x 16 height A=2(4*20+16*20+4*16) Surface Area = 928

one port will have 8 width x 8 height A=2(8*20+8*20+8*8) Surface area = 768

So as you can see the more square a port becomes, the more efficient due to less wood surface area that air has to travel through meaning you can get by with a lot less port area than a long skinny port.

here's a calculator for you to play around.

https://www.google.com/webhp?sourceid=chrome-instant&ion=1&espv=2&ie=UTF-8#q=surface+area+of+a+rectangular+prism&*

How about a round circle port you ask?

simple same length 20 and same sq inches 64

area of a circle is pi x radius ^2 so to reverse that 64/ 3.14 = 20.3. square root of 20.3 = 4.51 inch diameter round port.

Now you find the surface area of a cylinder. which is A=2(3.14)rh+2(3.14)r2

Plug that in to here https://www.google.com/webhp?sourceid=chrome-instant&ion=1&espv=2&ie=UTF-8#q=cylinder+surface+area&*

and you will see that with a 4.51 diameter round port, the surface area = 694.54 which is less than the square port aka more efficient.

to answer question #1 it actually depends on the subwoofer and vehicle its in. Every vehicle will sound different and require a different type of tuning. Some will play rock just fine tuned at 32hz. Others will require 40hz tuning so its best to test out the cabin gain of each vehicle to see what frequency you peak at.

question number 2, There is no "hidden chamber" ported box. There are 4th order bandpass and there are Aperiodic Bi-chamber (ABC) ported boxes.

4th order is a sealed and a ported combined good low end extension and good output if you have a higher ratio of ported to sealed only works with woofers that are good in sealed boxes aka Efficiency Bandwidth Product (EBP) of 55 or less here is a calculator Efficiency Bandwidth Product Calculators - EBP, Speaker Resonance Frequency, Speaker Electrical

Aperiodic bi chamber boxes are meant to tame peaky woofers for a flatter response.

Yup gramps there's waaaay more to subwoofers and enclosures than you'll ever know. What you know only scratches the surface.

mostly sound the same but will help slightly with airflow Its always recommended. Gains are very very tiny but gains are still gains.
way more info than i need but 4" round port or 4x4 square is just as good or better than 1.5" x 12.5" (like mine) which is more port area but basiclly skinny not as good as round or wider but shorter (height)

way more info than i need but 4" round port or 4x4 square is just as good or better than 1.5" x 12.5" (like mine) which is more port area but basiclly skinny not as good as round or wider but shorter (height)
fking read what i said and understand it and that answers your question completely. 4 inch round port is 12.56 sq inches. 4 x 4 is 16 sq inches. 1.5 x 12.5 is 18.75 sq inches. Totally different sq inches of port numbers. but If you read what i said. You'll understand which one is better for you.

I've gotten this far on the build excuse the mess. How should i run the wires through the box for the subwoofers? I heard terminal cups leak a crap ton of air.
f50b18c3108376f49899db1b95565669.jpg

I've gotten this far on the build excuse the mess. How should i run the wires through the box for the subwoofers? I heard terminal cups leak a crap ton of airSent from my N9519 using Tapatalk
Drill a hole in the box just bigger than the speaker wire, stick wire through and connect to sub, seal hole with pl or liquid nails.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...