How many channels do i need

skatman244

Portugal
Hi guys i have a 1991 Nissan Pickup truck, im currently looking to install a sound system in it.

I want to install 2 medium range speakers and 2 tweeters in the front, and 2 subwoofers in the truck bed.

I want to separate all the frequencies, so i want the tweeters to receive only high frequencies, the mediums to get only medium frequencies and the subs to get only low frequencies.

Im going to dedicate an amp to the medium and tweeters, and another separate amp to the subs.

My question is : How many channels do i have to have in my head unit to connect 2 amplifiers to it, and how can i separate the frequencies ( how to make the amplifiers filter the frequencies ).

Thank you in advance!

Depends on how you want to do it... Easiest way is buy a 2channel amp, monoblock subwoofer, and your mids and highs are components with a passive crossover. More complicated way is buy a 4 channel amp, an ACTIVE crossover or DEQ, and a mono block amp. The Active crossover would seperate the highs, mids and lows and you would then output to the appropriate input of the amps.

You can use 1 or 2 pairs of rca's from the head unit. If you use one set everything on the eq flat on the deck. Then either split the rca again at the amp of if one of your amps has and output you can jump from one to the other. If theres 2 pairs the there is a sub output and a high or full range pair. Run them accordingly but I would still keep it flat unless you have a really high end h/u which would have a nice eq

Depends on how you want to do it... Easiest way is buy a 2channel amp, monoblock subwoofer, and your mids and highs are components with a passive crossover. More complicated way is buy a 4 channel amp, an ACTIVE crossover or DEQ, and a mono block amp. The Active crossover would seperate the highs, mids and lows and you would then output to the appropriate input of the amps.
My problem is, i live in portugal, and here stores dont sell high wattage subs with a built in amplifier, im hoping to get 2 600W RMS subs for the truck, and the biggest built in amplified subwoofer they sell here is 200W, besides i cant ship anything from outside EUROPE, because it wont get here.

So i am basicly forced to buy passive subwoofers and then add an amp to them.

I like to understand stuff deeply, so bare with me on this one. So to install the setup i want, i would have to buy a 2 channel head unit, then i would connect 1 channel to a low wattage amp ( mids and highs ), and the other channel to the high wattage amp ( subwoofer amp ), then i have 2 options, i either have speakers with built in crossovers, and directly connect each speaker to the amps, or i would have to put 1 active crossover between each speaker and amp output. Is that correct?

You can use 1 or 2 pairs of rca's from the head unit. If you use one set everything on the eq flat on the deck. Then either split the rca again at the amp of if one of your amps has and output you can jump from one to the other. If theres 2 pairs the there is a sub output and a high or full range pair. Run them accordingly but I would still keep it flat unless you have a really high end h/u which would have a nice eq
So i can have a head unit with only 1 pair of RCA and connect an amp to it, and then connect that amp to another one? Uau that's interesting.

3 ways to do a 3-way.

1. 2 ch deck + amps with active crossovers and pass through.

2. 2 ch deck + external 3-way crossover.

3. 6 ch deck with built-in active crossover like the deh-80prs.

My problem is, i live in portugal, and here stores dont sell high wattage subs with a built in amplifier, im hoping to get 2 600W RMS subs for the truck, and the biggest built in amplified subwoofer they sell here is 200W, besides i cant ship anything from outside EUROPE, because it wont get here.So i am basicly forced to buy passive subwoofers and then add an amp to them.

I like to understand stuff deeply, so bare with me on this one. So to install the setup i want, i would have to buy a 2 channel head unit, then i would connect 1 channel to a low wattage amp ( mids and highs ), and the other channel to the high wattage amp ( subwoofer amp ), then i have 2 options, i either have speakers with built in crossovers, and directly connect each speaker to the amps, or i would have to put 1 active crossover between each speaker and amp output. Is that correct?
Get a pioneer 80 prs if you want the best head unit under 1000$ or get a pioneer mvh 580bt if you are on a budget they are both active capable head units. You can do all the crossovers from the head unit. Has all the channels you need. Dont bother with external crossovers they are outdated junk in comparison to an active network capable head unit.

you cant get anything from anywhere else in the world besides Portugal? you cant order anything online at all?
I can get everything as long as it is shipped from inside EUROPE, otherwise it is very limited. For example, everything that comes from the US that costs over 20$ or is bigger than a 20x20cm square, wont get here.

Get a pioneer 80 prs if you want the best head unit under 1000$ or get a pioneer mvh 580bt if you are on a budget they are both active capable head units. You can do all the crossovers from the head unit. Has all the channels you need. Dont bother with external crossovers they are outdated junk in comparison to an active network capable head unit.
So if i buy the pioneer mvh 580 BT, i would then only need to buy a small 4 channel amp for my medium and tweeters, and a bigger 2ch amp for my subwoofers. Then i would connect each speaker to each channel on each amp, and i would be good to go?

So if i buy the pioneer mvh 580 BT, i would then only need to buy a small 4 channel amp for my medium and tweeters, and a bigger 2ch amp for my subwoofers. Then i would connect each speaker to each channel on each amp, and i would be good to go?
yes just choose network mode instead of standard when you first turn on the head unit after installing it.

And you think the head unit will make a good job spliting up the frequencies?

In reality what is the diference between mvh 580 BT and the 80 prs?

Oh and by the way, what brand of amps do you recomend? Is there anything in particular i should look for?

And you think the head unit will make a good job spliting up the frequencies? In reality what is the diference between mvh 580 BT and the 80 prs?

Oh and by the way, what brand of amps do you recomend? Is there anything in particular i should look for?
it will do a much better job than any external crossover you can find minus a DSP which costs a lot.

The 80 prs has triple 24 bit DACs while the 580 has a single. 80 prs has independant left and right EQ adjustments and 3 more bands of EQ along with 5 volt pre out vs 2 volt over the mvh 580. The crossover slopes and features are the same but the 80 prs has a bigger screen so the interface looks different.

This is the amount of control you get with the head unit

Uau thank you very mutch for the help.

I didn't understant anything of what that guy was doing on the head unit XD.

The kind of music im going to listen is not very accuraccy demanding.

I'm more of a house/trap/hip hop listener. So i just want to be able do hear the voice crystal clear and have good deep consistent bass!

Do you think that the 80 prs is a significant improvement over the 580? I mean, is it worth the diference in pricing?

Oh and btw, what cable section do you recomment? I have heard that cabling is one of the most important things in a sound system.

Oh and btw, what cable section do you recomment? I have heard that cabling is one of the most important things in a sound system.
that's incorrect, you want quality cables with solid connectors so they dont bend and flex apart from wear and routing through bends, but besides that there is literally no difference unless you're using multi thousand dollar home audio set ups.

all your quality sound will come from processing, driver placement, sound damping, source of sound, and driver selection

you can use a 5 channel amp for your set up since you dont need a lot of power, 4 channels for the doors and one channel for the subs. something like a ppi900.5 is a-ok

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.