How loud is your system?

Updated my numbers with new box in the original thread post. Here's a pic of the new box

Attachments

• Screenshot_20211129-170826_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20211129-170826_Gallery.jpg
    384.5 KB · Views: 55
There's quite a few rap songs that dip into the low 30's and some that dip into the high 20's. Lower tuned boxes play flatter, so when tuning low, you usually won't get as sharp of a peak based around your cabin resonance, and it'll make the lows louder and more balanced with the highs. I'm not sure how many people have experienced actually hearing 28 hz at full volume or a note like that, but most people that have a box that can hit a note like 28 hz and play it without any reservation, they never wanted to go back to a box where they lost those high 20's notes. Most people that I've designed for like being able to get down into the high 20's range. Also, bigger systems like you have just play a little differently, because the box size is so huge, so the cabin size is just getting smaller. A massive system like yours is going to be able to pressurize that vehicle very well across a wide range of frequencies, even with lower tuning. So, tuned lower may lead to a lower overall peak SPL score, but it tends to play flatter and have more even SPL across a wider bandwidth, and you get to hit lows.

I personally like larger systems tuned lower, because it makes the response significantly flatter, and the transitioning between the notes is so smooth. The high end rolls off more softly and tends to be less brutal, especially with as much power as you have, lol. Gotta have a somewhat middle ground airspace and port area, where your subs can move enough to get loud, but not too much where they start unloading with tons of power applied away from tuning frequency. On top of that, your subs are sort of low-end oriented by design, so low tuning matches the nature of your woofers.
My box is tuned to 30 HZ and I can play down below human hearing capability, which is absolutely useless. Lol. The reason I tune low is because it peaks below where most of my music plays, which gives me a nice flat sound all the way through the listening range, but at a cost. It’s not as loud as it was in the recommended 40 HZ tune for these. I’m not sure why Dayton recommends a 40 HZ tuning on it. It doesn’t sound as good.

My box is tuned to 30 HZ and I can play down below human hearing capability, which is absolutely useless. Lol. The reason I tune low is because it peaks below where most of my music plays, which gives me a nice flat sound all the way through the listening range, but at a cost. It’s not as loud as it was in the recommended 40 HZ tune for these. I’m not sure why Dayton recommends a 40 HZ tuning on it. It doesn’t sound as good.
the new box buck designed for my 15's plays very flat from 25 hz to 45 hz and still very loud at 20 hz. I posted the numbers in the original thread post. They sound much better this way. I want to play around more with the 12 in my truck. I just ran thicker wire to the amp and might try another box. interested to see where my numbers go. I think I'm tuned around 33 with the current box.

the new box buck designed for my 15's plays very flat from 25 hz to 45 hz and still very loud at 20 hz. I posted the numbers in the original thread post. They sound much better this way. I want to play around more with the 12 in my truck. I just ran thicker wire to the amp and might try another box. interested to see where my numbers go. I think I'm tuned around 33 with the current box.
I have a 15 being built by island precision which I’m excited to try. Last 15 I ran for my daily was an alpine Tyoe R 15 years ago. I will probably start off trying it in a sealed box around 2.75 cubes and move into ported with it later on.

I have a 15 being built by island precision which I’m excited to try. Last 15 I ran for my daily was an alpine Tyoe R 15 years ago. I will probably start off trying it in a sealed box around 2.75 cubes and move into ported with it later on.
I've never been satisfied with a sealed box but 🤷‍♂️ should still get decent output

I hope that box was free because the trade off is garbage to me. You're a little louder where very few songs play and quieter where it matters. As long as you like it tho.

I hope that box was free because the trade off is garbage to me. You're a little louder where very few songs play and quieter where it matters. As long as you like it tho.
I gained about 5 db at 20 and 25 hz
Gained 1 at 30 and lost .2 and .3 at 40 and 45.
Hmmm 5 db vs .2 decibel trade off is garbage 🤣🤣 good try though

I gained about 5 db at 20 and 25 hz
Gained 1 at 30 and lost .2 and .3 at 40 and 45.
Hmmm 5 db vs .2 decibel trade off is garbage 🤣🤣 good try though
Yep, useless gains. Just like I said. 🤣🤣 Good try though. Maybe one day you can find a decent box builder that can give you those gains in a usable hz. I'd do it but you can't afford me pal

Yep, useless gains. Just like I said. 🤣🤣 Good try though. Maybe one day you can find a decent box builder that can give you those gains in a usable hz. I'd do it but you can't afford me pal
Lmao different strokes for different folks. I like em long and slow you like it short and quick or is that just your sex life 😉

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...